Using iPhone on Caribbean Cruise

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm going on a cruise vacation in a couple days. I have AT&T as my service provider. The ship is scheduled to make stops in Turks and Caicos and the Bahamas.

Will I be able to use my iPhone while on the ship and also in the two places we will be stoping?

Also, how can I avoid being charged for Data and Roaming? I've heard of many stories where people get a huge bill after traveling.

I will like to use my iPhone to take pictures and I will also use it as an alarm.

Sent from my iPhone 5C using iMore Forums app

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
If you are concerned about roaming charges, go to settings>cellular>roaming and select either no roaming, or voice only.(which ever one you want) good luck!

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys. I won't have any need at all to make calls not send text messages.

I hear there is wifi on the ship but very costly. I would like to check my email maybe once or twice while on the seven day vaca. But it is not a huge priority.

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
If you mainly want to take pictures and use the alarm, put it in Airplane mode. Neither of those activities require wifi or cellular data. Then turn data on briefly to check email.

This is what I was planning on doing. Hopefully AT&T doesn't charge me too much when I do turn on data just to check my email.

anon4757448

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
This is what I was planning on doing. Hopefully AT&T doesn't charge me too much when I do turn on data just to check my email.

I think Karen made a great suggestion. It would be even better if the ship has free wifi for a limited time. Then you can use that to check email and/or send iMessages.

I went to the Dominican Republic earlier in the year and the resort had free wifi for an hour a day. I used that to check email. I kept it on airplane mode the remainder of the time.

Have fun on your vacation!

Sent from my iPhone 5s using iMore Forums

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I typically subscribe to one of AT&T 's roaming data plans for overseas travel. It's a lot cheaper than paying overages and the convenience of not needing wifi always.

120 MB Data Global Add-on package for $30/month

300 MB Data Global Add-on package for $60/month

800 MB Data Global Add-on package for $120/month

Just another alternative to wifi availability.

Enjoy your vacation.

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Thank you mzengr and charlyee for your replies. I will settle for putting my iPhone on airplane mode and using it for camera and alarm as I originally intended. Once on the ship I'll see what options I have as far as wifi or maybe using it while at port.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thank you mzengr and charlyee for your replies. I will settle for putting my iPhone on airplane mode and using it for camera and alarm as I originally intended. Once on the ship I'll see what options I have as far as wifi or maybe using it while at port.

Just turn Cellular and voice roaming off and stay on wifi. You can use iMessage, FaceTime and Facebook Messenger while on wifi. But without wifi, Airplane Mode at least gives you some options.

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Back from cruise vacation. Kept my iPhone on airplane mode the entire time and turned on wifi when I ended to use it for emails and iMessage. Carnival offered 45 minutes of wifi for $29, so I went with that.

Once we got close enough to land, around Virginia beach or so, everyone was outside on the top deck of the ship using their iPhones. Amazing how we've become so dependent on our smartphones. Even though I was on vaca I felt as though I needed to get my daily fix of news, twitter, and emails. Felt so disconnected from the world.

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Turks and Caicos is nice, is it not? Beautiful place!

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Yes, it was. But the best was Half Moon Cay, Carnival's private island. Crystal clear water and beautiful fishes swimming beside you. It was just amazing.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen