Is the iPhone 5C still a really good buy, 10 months later?

antheauxny

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
It has been 10 months, right? :p Here's my situation:
I switch phones a lot. Not a lot a lot, but every now & then a lot. The first iPhone I ever got was the end of 2011/beginning of 2012 & it was a 4S. Loved it. Switched back & forth from the 4S to various Android devices throughout the summer of 2012 (EVO LTE, S2/S3 (ugh), Motorola Photon, etc) & even a BB 9930. Around the end of July I finally settled on keeping the 4S. Had it until February of 2013 when I upgraded to the iPhone 5. June of 2013 came around & I was looking to leave Sprint (contract was up & service was (not sure if it still is) horrible here at Fort Hood) so I went to T-Mobile. LOVE it. But when I switched, I got an HTC One. great phone, but went back to the iPhone (iPhone 5 just on TMo) about 2 months after (had paid the phone off in full). Had that until about a month ago. I left the iPhone a month ago because quite frankly mine had became kinda sluggish and the charge port was slowly dying (wasn't the charger, tested my charger on a friends iPhone & it worked perfectly) so I knew it was the charge port. So I sold it for $300. Bought a G2 for $250. Love this phone. Does what I need it to do. But, I miss iOS. I can admit I'm an Apple fanatic & I'm spoiled by iMessage, FaceTime, *real* emoji, & the ability to purchase music from itunes right from my phone. ^_^
So, I'm thinking of selling my G2 for $250, then heading to the T-Mobile store to purchase an iPhone. I would like to get the 5S ($0 down/$27 a month for 16GB & $99 down/$27 a month for 32GB on T-Mobile), but I can get a 32GB iPhone 5C for that same price ($0 down/$27 a month) or 16GB 5C for $0 down/$22 a month. Is the iPhone 5C STILL a good buy? This will be my phone most likely for the next year (so I'll probably be skipping out on the iPhone 6, unfortunately). How many more updates do you think it'll get? I know the iPhone 4 got iOS 7 & came out in 2010. So is it safe to say the iPhone 5C will be getting updates at least until whatever new iPhone comes out in 2015?

Sorry if its long. But heck, I miss iOS and I don't wanna purchase the 5C if it seems outdated, ya know? Thanks! =)

OBF

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
The 6 is coming out in 2 months. I would honestly just wait. But if you really don't want to spend any money...

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I just bought another 5c to have a 32GB one that was unlocked. I love this phone honestly. After buying a 5s, I still chose a 5c.

It's really what you like but I'm happy with it.

Sent from Blue 32 using Tapatalk Pro.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My wife loves her 5c. I like it better than my 5. No fingerprint scanner, but that's not an issue with me. Was there an option for the 32 gb 5c? That's what my wife got free with Verizon on contract. It will be a while before the 5c is outdated. It will get iOS 8.

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

antheauxny

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
My wife loves her 5c. I like it better than my 5. No fingerprint scanner, but that's not an issue with me. Was there an option for the 32 gb 5c? That's what my wife got free with Verizon on contract. It will be a while before the 5c is outdated. It will get iOS 8.

Yes, the 32gb 5C is free on T-Mobile as in paying $0 down. That's what I'm leaning towards but I wanna make sure the device will still be as smooth and lag-free for at least a year from now.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes, the 32gb 5C is free on T-Mobile as in paying $0 down. That's what I'm leaning towards but I wanna make sure the device will still be as smooth and lag-free for at least a year from now.
It will. It's a great phone. It just doesn't have a few of the features the 5s has. But it's better than the 5 like I have.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

I'm running massive jailbreak tweaks on one of my 5c, the other I'm running iOS 8 beta. Both are smooth as butter and perform perfectly. I'd say yes, it'll be good for at LEAST another year.

Sent from the Pad using Tapatalk.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone 5C is only a i5 but you do know in 2 months the new iPhone will be here? You'd do better selling the G2 for $250 and adding another $50 to find a 5C. At least I know people who have them for $300-$350, used of course; to hold you over until the new iPhone comes along. I would then finance that phone.

Back to your question though, the 5C is still a great phone.

I left the iPhone a month ago because quite frankly mine had became kinda sluggish and the charge port was slowly dying (wasn't the charger, tested my charger on a friends iPhone & it worked perfectly) so I knew it was the charge port. So I sold it for $300.

Seems like it should've still been under some type of warranty. Apple could've fixed that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Personally, if it were me, given how close we are to the new devices and to learning what Apple has in store for the next year, I would wait if at all possible.

If the question had been asked in January, I would say absolutely jump on it.

antheauxny

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the good, NICE responses. I Think I'm going to go ahead & wait for the 6 or maybe find someone to trade with on craigslist. One of the two. Thanks everyone!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox