Free iPhone 5c w/ 2 year contract. Worth it?

UncleLes

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
My provider has offered me a free 32 gig 5c if I sign a 2 year contract. I don't currently have a smartphone as I've really never seen the need for one since my home is my office. I have an older feature phone and am not currently under contract. Not withstanding the extra monthly cost (they've also offered me a loyalty plan which is better than I could get anywhere else) is this a good deal?

I'm concerned about getting locked in for two years with a phone that may not be supported and may not offer me much benefit by having the extra features I haven't really missed not having. I have a Nexus 7 tablet that was gifted to me when they first came out that I use regularly, so I'm not a complete Luddite.
Given that I am familiar with Android if I was looking for a phone I would probably gone with an Android phone, but then this offer came up.

Opinions, please, pro and con.

Thanks.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone 5c is a fine device. Nobody knows what your needs are but you. As far as the 5c being supported, I'm almost positive the device will be supported and receive updates for the next couple of years. Good luck with your decision.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to IMore , as Prince stated the 5c is a great device. And at that price even more so. But it's up to you and your needs. Good luck with your choice.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
If the monthly payments aren't bad for your plan, the 5c is a good phone. Lots of LTE bands.

Just make sure your monthly payments are reasonable.

The 5c should be supported for another two years. The iPhone 4 came out in mid-2010 and is still supported in early 2014; the 5c is the child of the 5, and that came out in late 2012. On that timeline, I expect its full support to end two and a half years from now.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore Uncle 😀

Since your currently using a feature phone your not really invested in the android ecosystem that much so getting the 5c is a great way to introduce yourself to the age of smartphones

Yes it's a super deal even if it was a 16GB you would still be coming out on top a 32GB is icing on the cake

Support is there quality is superb if you pass on the deal hell send it my way

iMore Ambassador -iPhone 5s

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
My very first iPhone, after owning many Androids, Was a 5c in blue. I love this phone and tend to play with it more than my 5s (That I got a month later).

I think it's a good device but there will be people for and against it. I'm for it though.

Sent from one of my toys using Tapatalk.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I'd go for it if the plan will be reasonable. The 5C is a good device and should be supported throughout your contract length

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Since you don't own a smartphone I think you should go for the 5c. 32gb free is a big surprise as well! Usually you'll only find 16gb variants free with a 2 year.

akronevan2

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I think it's Verizon, as my wife just got off the phone with them and she just got the 32GB 5c. BTW the green and pink are both on back order.

saichick04

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
My friend actually got the same email and went to Verizon and got a pink iPhone 5c. I personally would have gotten the green or blue lol. She had a note 3 which she loves but a FREE 32gb iPhone is hard to pass up.. :) I say do it if you don't mind signing a new contract.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

UncleLes

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes it is Verizon, and with the loyalty plan they are offering it's a good deal and I'm really considering it. I'd never pay what they're asking for the phone, but for free...

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
the 5C is a good phone- I don't think its a cheap build at all- I advised my brother to get the 32gig 5C with verizon- for free you can't go wrong

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Free is always better IMO. I've had two 5cs so far BUT I drowned one in the washing machine so obviously I had to get a new one but I'm happy with mine. Like my 4s, I'll keep the C until it breaks. I have no need to upgrade to the latest and greatest when the phone I've got works fine.

Davingtons

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
If the 2 year contract is at an affordable price for you, then I'd say this would be of interest.

Given the history of previous iPhones, the 5C will be supported for at least 2 more years.

If you're not familiar with the 5C, I'd recommend going and playing with one first.

32 gig is a decent amount of storage - unless you want to store loads of videos / music / photos on the phone, 32 gig will be plenty.

I personally prefer the 5C to the 5S. I know that it's not as good spec wise, but I much prefer the look of the 5C to the 5/5S. You can't beat a yellow phone !

I think the 5C also feels better to hold than the 5.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73