5c vs 5s for teenager

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
My wife is getting ready to switch from Verizon to AT&T. Her and my stepdaughter are getting ready to upgrade from their 8GB iPhone 4's to 5s. I suggested that my stepdaughter get the 5c and her response was "Mommy, are you really gonna get me the cheap phone?" She's 14...and obviously quite spoiled. I know that cost differential between the 16GB 5s and 5c is in Next payments is negligible but the idea she wouldn't be happy with a 5c because it's plastic when, for her it's free...struck a nerve.

Why do people think the 5c is cheap because it's outer shell is "unapologetically" plastic?

Sent from my Haalcyon 5s 64

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I love that it's got plastic. It makes it heavier and less full of glass. It's also missing the respring issue, power button/camera rattle, and not always effective FP scanner. That's just my opinion.

Though I'm spoiled too, I have spoiled myself. I was raised in poverty and didn't get my first phone until I was old enough to buy one myself!

I'd make her keep her old phone but I'm not as forgiving considering my upbringing.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
People think its cheap because its plastic vs aluminum. Now if a teenager should have a 5S? I dont know. Both are expensive devices in my opinion. Maybe she can do more chores around the house and help pay for it.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have the 5s but when I handled the 5c it felt like a quality phone to me. Certainly not cheap. My 16 year old daughter is on a 4s until December and she wants a 5c or whatever is out at the time, assuming that apple still sticks with a model like that. She loves the colors and understands that it is still a very good phone internally. She also understands that I'm providing it for her and she will like what I get her. ;)

Sent using Tapatalk

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your responses all. I'm irritated by her attitude that she's somehow deserving of the most expensive things yet wants to do as little to EARN them as humanly possible, but I guess I'm just the wicked stepdad.

I have the 5s but when I handled the 5c it felt like a quality phone to me. Certainly not cheap. My 16 year old daughter is on a 4s until December and she wants a 5c or whatever is out at the time, assuming that apple still sticks with a model like that. She loves the colors and understands that it is still a very good phone internally. She also understands that I'm providing it for her and she will like what I get her. ;)

You've done a good job.

Sent from my liberated iPad Air LTE 

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your responses all. I'm irritated by her attitude that she's somehow deserving of the most expensive things yet wants to do as little to EARN them as humanly possible, but I guess I'm just the wicked stepdad.

My mom would've had a switch to my rear if I ever acted like that. I was raised by a really traditional older mother. Just follow your heart. Remember that how she is now, That will stay with her for the rest of her life. You're an awesome person and I know you'll do the right thing. 😉

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
My mom would've had a switch to my rear if I ever acted like that. I was raised by a really traditional older mother. Just follow your heart. Remember that how she is now, That will stay with her for the rest of her life. You're an awesome person and I know you'll do the right thing. 😉

Thank you. :)

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
My wife is getting ready to switch from Verizon to AT&T. Her and my stepdaughter are getting ready to upgrade from their 8GB iPhone 4's to 5s. I suggested that my stepdaughter get the 5c and her response was "Mommy, are you really gonna get me the cheap phone?" She's 14...and obviously quite spoiled. I know that cost differential between the 16GB 5s and 5c is in Next payments is negligible but the idea she wouldn't be happy with a 5c because it's plastic when, for her it's free...struck a nerve.

Why do people think the 5c is cheap because it's outer shell is "unapologetically" plastic?

Sent from my Haalcyon 5s 64
Here is a novel idea... Would you be paying for it and putting it on your contract or acct or family plan? Any one of those. Upgrade her to what you feel after talking to your wife what the two of you are appropriate and after some time with it I am sure she will be happy with it. All the young ones spoiled or not want the best but there are times you have to draw a line. Good luck with the decision you make.

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Here is a novel idea... Would you be paying for it and putting it on your contract or acct or family plan? Any one of those. Upgrade her to what you feel after talking to your wife what the two of you are appropriate and after some time with it I am sure she will be happy with it. All the young ones spoiled or not want the best but there are times you have to draw a line. Good luck with the decision you make.

My wife, bless her little heart, will cave and it's her decision (since she's paying for it), so my daughter will end up with a 5s. I don't really mind, I just hate the attitude of entitlement. I think the 5c is a great phone and heads and tails better than the 8GB iPhone 4 she's had for the past year. Now my wife, she deserves the 64GB 24K gold 5s.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
LoL, been there, I have a step daughter and until she hit 19 she was a P.I.T.A. like you can't believe. Ultimately it's the decision of the parents. Good Luck!

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
LoL, been there, I have a step daughter and until she hit 19 she was a P.I.T.A. like you can't believe. Ultimately it's the decision of the parents. Good Luck!

Well, I was no angel myself, and I try to keep that in mind. I also understand my daughter has grown up around me and I usually want the more expensive toys so I know I'm not setting the best example as far as being humble. I will take the advice you've all given and discuss with my wife.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Well, I was no angel myself, and I try to keep that in mind. I also understand my daughter has grown up around me and I usually want the more expensive toys so I know I'm not setting the best example as far as being humble. I will take the advice you've all given and discuss with my wife.

Get her what you want she's 14 !! and it's free for her. If she don't like it then you can always tell her you will get her a flip phone off eBay .. I'm sure her attitude will change .. Lol .. On a side note if she still has a 4 i assume the next phone will be at least a two year deal .. It might be worth a 5s to future proof ..

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Get her what you want she's 14 !! and it's free for her. If she don't like it then you can always tell her you will get her a flip phone off eBay .. I'm sure her attitude will change .. Lol .. On a side note if she still has a 4 i assume the next phone will be at least a two year deal .. It might be worth a 5s to future proof ..

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Yeahp! However, I'm doubtful the 5s is any more "future proof" over the next 18 months (Next) than the 5c. I'm gonna have a nice "Daddy" chat with her about what is wrong with her attitude. ...and let her know the consequences for keeping it that way.

Sent from my titanium rMini LTE

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
the 5S is much more future proof. The 5C isn't cheaper enough to make the financial savings worth it in my opinion. Just make your child "pay" for it in their own way, chores etc. Or consider the upgrade as their next gift

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
the 5S is much more future proof. The 5C isn't cheaper enough to make the financial savings worth it in my opinion. Just make your child "pay" for it in their own way, chores etc. Or consider the upgrade as their next gift

I'm going to recommend a 16GB 5S OR a 32GB 5C. Her choice. They're the same price in Next payments. She's 14 and the only thing she's gonna do with it is all that social nonsense (Facebook, KIK, Instagram, etc.) She's into music and her data quota is 1GB/month. So she'll need to make an intelligent decision about how much storage she needs. Given that choice, I would take the 32GB 5C (or a G2 or S4). Her choice.

projectman

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

Sent using Tapatalk

Sounds like your daughter has learned what my daughters have learned - the cell phone is a privilege. This is definitely a "first world" problem...but we have to deal with it nonetheless. Good luck to the OP. Hope she comes around to your way of thinking.

Ron1697

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm teenager myself so I know how it feels to wanna have the best phone. Considering almost everyone at my school has an iphone. But my parents will never buy me an expensive phone until Income Tax Season! So she is pretty lucky! But yea should talk to her or take her to the store and let her check out both phones and compare them. I think 5c is still a pretty good phone even though its plastic.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
What condition is her i4 in the reason I ask is what's worst than a child wanting something expensive is a child that doesn't take any value in what was bought or given to them

You might be taken her cheap comment the wrong way I don't know but rethink what your thinking upon the actions you experienced with her in the past

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox