5c vs 5s for teenager

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I am considering letting her have my 32GB space gray "iRiidium" 5s that I got last week (since I also have this silver 64GB) and getting a 16GB 4S. I like how you can have the front and back changed on the 4s (I saw a royal/electric blue mirrored front and back I certainly wouldn't mind having) and I could prolly make do with 16GB on my secondary line.

Sent from my liberated plutonium 5s 64

Wait! So you have 2 5s and are considering buying a 4s? and also debating if you should get the girl an iPhone? Really? 😄 give the girl
one of those already!

I agree with teenagers having "high tech" phones nowadays whether we like it or not, but it's important to teach them how to use them responsibly, not for sexting and such.

I have an ip5 and my 14 y.o cousin just got a shiny new gold 5s, Does she really need it? is she gonna take full advantage of it? absolutely not! but I am her reference, I have an iPhone, I made my family switch to iPhones, well it's fairly logic that she wanted to get one, and ditch her old blackberry, I guess.

Tapatalkeando

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Wait! So you have 2 5s and are considering buying a 4s? and also debating if you should get the girl an iPhone? Really? 😄 give the girl
one of those already!
Give her. One of. My 5s'? Naaaa. Is not going to happen. Anytime soon. Not until I upgrade/change. She has an 8GB 4s now. One of my 5s' wears a LifeProof Fre the other wears a tempered glass screen protector and carbon fiber case. I use which ever is better dressed for the occasion as well as switching them out while the other is charging. Giving one away would interrupt my...Flow.

Last edited:

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
one of those already!

I agree with teenagers having "high tech" phones nowadays whether we like it or not, but it's important to teach them how to use them responsibly, not for sexting and such.

I have an ip5 and my 14 y.o cousin just got a shiny new gold 5s, Does she really need it? is she gonna take full advantage of it? absolutely not! but I am her reference, I have an iPhone, I made my family switch to iPhones, well it's fairly logic that she wanted to get one, and ditch her old blackberry, I guess.

Tapatalkeando

My kids didn't get iPhones until they were 21. They wanted androids and wouldn't let them get it. Also as a condition of me paying for the service no jail breaking.

IMO no teenager needs anything and mine, pre 21, were grateful to have phones. Now my kids are grateful I'm paying for their phone service.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
My kids didn't get iPhones until they were 21. They wanted androids and wouldn't let them get it. Also as a condition of me paying for the service no jail breaking.

IMO no teenager needs anything and mine, pre 21, were grateful to have phones. Now my kids are grateful I'm paying for their phone service.

I didn't get my first phone until I was 21, paid for it myself. My mom always said that if she got me what I wanted, I'd never learn priorities...

Then again, I didn't mind because she couldn't call me all day long. LOL

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site

I'm a firm believer that every kid who has a license and a car absolutely NEEDS a cell phone. I can't even count the number of times that something happened when I was out and driving that I needed to call my mom about, sometimes for help. As the parent, I'd worry constantly while the kid was out if they didn't have a way to get in touch with me if they needed to.

Now, on topic, I think you're handling the situation very well, iRiidium. You were right to be upset about her bratty comment and I can certainly understand your want of letting her know. I believe that the type of phone a child receives is 100% dependent on the child. If they're ill-behaved, bratty, and don't do well in school (or more importantly, in life) then they probably don't deserve the best phone out there. I know you said she can be a brat, but does she good well in school? Is she well-adjusted in terms of how to treat people outside of being spoiled? If there's a lot of room for improvement, then maybe it's something she needs to earn gradually. I got my first phone in 7th grade (in 2002), long before any else in school and before the vast majority of their parents as well. I didn't do chores to earn my phone, but I earned it by being a good student and staying on the right track. I never did drugs or took a single drink and my mom felt that I deserved to be rewarded for making good decisions. So I don't think there's really a one-size-fits-all approach to what you should or shouldn't give your kids or for the reason in which you see fit, just whatever feels right and works for your family.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm a firm believer that every kid who has a license and a car absolutely NEEDS a cell phone. I can't even count the number of times that something happened when I was out and driving that I needed to call my mom about, sometimes for help. As the parent, I'd worry constantly while the kid was out if they didn't have a way to get in touch with me if they needed to.

Now, on topic, I think you're handling the situation very well, iRiidium. You were right to be upset about her bratty comment and I can certainly understand your want of letting her know. I believe that the type of phone a child receives is 100% dependent on the child. If they're ill-behaved, bratty, and don't do well in school (or more importantly, in life) then they probably don't deserve the best phone out there. I know you said she can be a brat, but does she good well in school? Is she well-adjusted in terms of how to treat people outside of being spoiled? If there's a lot of room for improvement, then maybe it's something she needs to earn gradually. I got my first phone in 7th grade (in 2002), long before any else in school and before the vast majority of their parents as well. I didn't do chores to earn my phone, but I earned it by being a good student and staying on the right track. I never did drugs or took a single drink and my mom felt that I deserved to be rewarded for making good decisions. So I don't think there's really a one-size-fits-all approach to what you should or shouldn't give your kids or for the reason in which you see fit, just whatever feels right and works for your family.

This^. As a teenager myself, I understand why many people think we shouldn't have smartphones. But, at my school, it is essential to have one, not only for communication with friends, but even teachers. Teachers now post all homework online, and if you can't get it on your phone, too bad for you they say. They expect most kids to have smartphones and use them in class to complete online activities, research, etc. My 70 year old history teacher has us texting responses to his surveys from our phones, and my Italian teacher has us use google voice to record our speaking activities for her to listen to. Without our phones, none of this would be possible.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
This^. As a teenager myself, I understand why many people think we shouldn't have smartphones. But, at my school, it is essential to have one, not only for communication with friends, but even teachers. Teachers now post all homework online, and if you can't get it on your phone, too bad for you they say. They expect most kids to have smartphones and use them in class to complete online activities, research, etc. My 70 year old history teacher has us texting responses to his surveys from our phones, and my Italian teacher has us use google voice to record our speaking activities for her to listen to. Without our phones, none of this would be possible.

True, but the very cheapest windows phone would serve that purpose. Also, did your school let parents know that students need smartphones in order to complete the curriculum?

Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
True, but the very cheapest windows phone would serve that purpose. Also, did your school let parents know that students need smartphones in order to complete the curriculum?

That's very true. The school did not let parents know, mostly they saw that everyone already had a smartphone and just went with it

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I did prefer the 4s' build materials to the 5's...it just seemed more durable with that stainless steel band but other than that I prefer everything else about the 5S.

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
My wife has decided to not move over from the Dark Side (Verizon) just yet so she still has her 4s.

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 

Ah, gotcha. Does she have grandfathered unlimited data with Verizon? I use about 5GB of data per month and my boyfriend uses about 6GB so we have like four or five upgrades that we can't use because we'd lose our unlimited data. Paying full retail for our phones really sucks but we'd pay more than that in data overages in a couple month's time so we don't really have a choice.

So if she and your daughter do have unlimited data, they could probably sell their plans (by doing a transfer of liability) when they switch, maybe for enough money to pay for at least one of the new iPhones.

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Ah, gotcha. Does she have grandfathered unlimited data with Verizon? I use about 5GB of data per month and my boyfriend uses about 6GB so we have like four or five upgrades that we can't use because we'd lose our unlimited data. Paying full retail for our phones really sucks but we'd pay more than that in data overages in a couple month's time so we don't really have a choice.

So if she and your daughter do have unlimited data, they could probably sell their plans (by doing a transfer of liability) when they switch, maybe for enough money to pay for at least one of the new iPhones.

Na, they don't have unlimited data. My daughter's quota is 1GB/month. She chews through it in about a day streaming various poopoo.

Jimmyphone

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I noticed that too.
my little sister who is 13 years old wants a new 5S for her birthday.
My opinion is that she is too little for such a delicate device.

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that too.
my little sister who is 13 years old wants a new 5S for her birthday.
My opinion is that she is too little for such a delicate device.

It depends on the kid. I bought my 13 year-old cousin an iPad Mini for Christmas and it looks like the day she took it out of the box.

Kathryn Chaplin

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I am a year younger than your step daughter. I have been deciding between a 5s and 5c, tho my dad said I have to save up ?200 to get it for Christmas. The 5s I feel is too fragile, you feel like you're gonna break it so u need to be very careful with it. If I'm honest, I prefer the 5c because it's in lots of different colours, apple have great cases for them and I think the 5s is more like a formal phone for adults than a cool teenager phone.

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I am a year younger than your step daughter. I have been deciding between a 5s and 5c, tho my dad said I have to save up ?200 to get it for Christmas. The 5s I feel is too fragile, you feel like you're gonna break it so u need to be very careful with it. If I'm honest, I prefer the 5c because it's in lots of different colours, apple have great cases for them and I think the 5s is more like a formal phone for adults than a cool teenager phone.

If you're getting it at Christmas time, wait to see what the iPhone 6 announcement brings.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

You're a kid, go for the 5C! It's all about colors and cotton candy at your age. Since you're saving up, see what phone Apple announces next month. It'll be better!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen