5c vs 5s for teenager

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
What condition is her i4 in the reason I ask is what's worst than a child wanting something expensive is a child that doesn't take any value in what was bought or given to them

You might be taken her cheap comment the wrong way I don't know but rethink what your thinking upon the actions you experienced with her in the past

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

She's a spoiled brat, in all honestly. I gave her an iPad 2 a couple of years ago for Christmas and she took it outside to show it off to her friends, dropped it, and cracked the screen. I've made her live with it ever since ...since it still works. Her iPhone 4 is in reasonable condition though. The same condition most 14 year-olds would keep their prized possession of-a-phone in.

Sent from my liberated iPad Air LTE 

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I would say: it all depends on the teenager, but judging from what the OP have shared so far, chances are she'll do the same thing (like checking FB, instagram and such) with a 4s, 5c or any other. I think 5c is more young people oriented judging from the color and the material maybe resists a drop better, also what does she need the fingerprint ID for? or the flash? seems like she wants the 5s just for showoff (like more teenagers I guess).

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to recommend a 16GB 5S OR a 32GB 5C. Her choice. They're the same price in Next payments. She's 14 and the only thing she's gonna do with it is all that social nonsense (Facebook, KIK, Instagram, etc.) She's into music and her data quota is 1GB/month. So she'll need to make an intelligent decision about how much storage she needs. Given that choice, I would take the 32GB 5C (or a G2 or S4). Her choice.

totally with you. Sounds like a fair proposal and if she sits down and has a rational moment she opts for the 5C. I have a 5 and a 5C, both look stunning in their own way and I think she would quickly love the colour of her C. They're eye candy and really stand out, also feel very good in your hand. It's good value really.

Dinadivas

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
i would be happy to say, iphone 5C enough for her :0 at least as teenager she got Iphone -
didn't have to work for Second Iphone 4 like me :)
in my opinion 5c is good, multicolours available and specs are almost enough unless she just wanted to show off :)

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
i would be happy to say, iphone 5C enough for her :0 at least as teenager she got Iphone -
didn't have to work for Second Iphone 4 like me :)
in my opinion 5c is good, multicolours available and specs are almost enough unless she just wanted to show off :)

The 5c is definitely overkill for her, as is any smartphone. However, she's had an iPhone so we'll keep with that. She's very excited. I'd be lying if I said her excitement doesn't make me excited for her. She wants the 5s so it is what it is.

Sent from my titanium rMini LTE

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
My kids will be getting my hand me down phones. They don't care for their stuff enough to get new, expensive electronics. Given what they've done to their iPod touches, it's a good indication of how they'll be treating their phones. They're lucky that I'm a gadget freak so they'll have decent things but i will be the one who gets the new toys. :)

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
My kids will be getting my hand me down phones. They don't care for their stuff enough to get new, expensive electronics. Given what they've done to their iPod touches, it's a good indication of how they'll be treating their phones. They're lucky that I'm a gadget freak so they'll have decent things but i will be the one who gets the new toys. :)

That's how I SHOULD be and I know that. I often sell my old toys to cover the new ones though. My 4-year old did get my LG G Pad 8.3 but he likes it nowhere near as much as the iPad 3 he had (that I sold). Even at 4 they know.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
That's how I SHOULD be and I know that. I often sell my old toys to cover the new ones though. My 4-year old did get my LG G Pad 8.3 but he likes it nowhere near as much as the iPad 3 he had (that I sold). Even at 4 they know.

I seriously need to do that. I've got way too many devices laying around right now. It's quite a troublesome drawer of quickly depreciating electronics I have. I've had to literally give some away...

gazoo2010

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to recommend a 16GB 5S OR a 32GB 5C. Her choice. They're the same price in Next payments. She's 14 and the only thing she's gonna do with it is all that social nonsense (Facebook, KIK, Instagram, etc.) She's into music and her data quota is 1GB/month. So she'll need to make an intelligent decision about how much storage she needs. Given that choice, I would take the 32GB 5C (or a G2 or S4). Her choice.

My daughter (13) had a 32 gb iPhone 4 and wanted a new iPhone. Since we are on T-mobile and there is no subsidy, we sold her 4 and then we split the remaining cost for the new phone. I gave her the same choice, a 16 gb 5s or a 32 gb 5c. After she did some research, she decided that the extra 16gb of space was more of a benefit for her, so she wound up with a blue 5c and she loves it. We made her split the cost of the iPhone (after the sale of her 4) to teach her some financial responsibility and so that she understood the cost of the device. we of course put that money in her college account and bought the phone, but she does not know that......

~S

Last edited:

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I seriously need to do that. I've got way too many devices laying around right now. It's quite a troublesome drawer of quickly depreciating electronics I have. I've had to literally give some away...

If nothing else you can at least sell them on Gazelle.

Sent from my titanium rMini LTE

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Maybe she would rather have the Moto Razr V3 I have in the attic, and maybe you should stop worrying about what iPhone to buy a 14 yr old ...

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Maybe she would rather have the Moto Razr V3 I have in the attic, and maybe you should stop worrying about what iPhone to buy a 14 yr old ...

Oh, I wasn't worried at all. I do, however, value other's opinions. In the long run she'll get whatever we decide to give her. Whether or not she likes it is really not of much consequence to me. I can turn into the coldly logical (evil) stepdad faster than you can say "iOS".

Razr V3 those were good times.

Yes they were indeed.

Sent from my liberated plutonium 5s 64

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Don't forget the 4S is still available.

Actually, I am considering letting her have my 32GB space gray "iRiidium" 5s that I got last week (since I also have this silver 64GB) and getting a 16GB 4S. I like how you can have the front and back changed on the 4s (I saw a royal/electric blue mirrored front and back I certainly wouldn't mind having) and I could prolly make do with 16GB on my secondary line.

li2327

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I have the 5c and love it and I'm 44! It's by no means a cheaply made phone. I think it will be just fine for her co guarantee she can't even list the different specs of the two devices. Get her the free one! She's blessed not to get a prepaid flip!

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I say neither. Teenagers don't need smartphones. Get her a flip phone.

Yeah, I agree but the closest I'd come to that at this stage is just getting her an 8GB 4s. She does like music and I see no reason to get her a flip phone and an iPod.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I say neither. Teenagers don't need smartphones. Get her a flip phone.

She already has an i4 it would make no sense

This day and age a Teenager with a smartphone is normal there's a lot of adults that shouldn't have a smartphone because they only use them for calls

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
My kids had flip phones for a long time. I didn't care what other teenagers had.

They reached their legal milestone birthday and I got them iphones as a reward for who they were as human beings. If they ever would have said to me, I don't want a 5c I want a 5s, they would be using a tin can and string.

But that's me, I don't do "spoiled".

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2