My kids will be getting my hand me down phones. They don't care for their stuff enough to get new, expensive electronics. Given what they've done to their iPod touches, it's a good indication of how they'll be treating their phones. They're lucky that I'm a gadget freak so they'll have decent things but i will be the one who gets the new toys.
    02-07-2014 07:06 AM
    My kids will be getting my hand me down phones. They don't care for their stuff enough to get new, expensive electronics. Given what they've done to their iPod touches, it's a good indication of how they'll be treating their phones. They're lucky that I'm a gadget freak so they'll have decent things but i will be the one who gets the new toys.
    That's how I SHOULD be and I know that. I often sell my old toys to cover the new ones though. My 4-year old did get my LG G Pad 8.3 but he likes it nowhere near as much as the iPad 3 he had (that I sold). Even at 4 they know.

Sent from my liberated iPad Air LTE 
    02-07-2014 07:09 AM
    That's how I SHOULD be and I know that. I often sell my old toys to cover the new ones though. My 4-year old did get my LG G Pad 8.3 but he likes it nowhere near as much as the iPad 3 he had (that I sold). Even at 4 they know.

I seriously need to do that. I've got way too many devices laying around right now. It's quite a troublesome drawer of quickly depreciating electronics I have. I've had to literally give some away...
    02-07-2014 09:29 AM
    I'm going to recommend a 16GB 5S OR a 32GB 5C. Her choice. They're the same price in Next payments. She's 14 and the only thing she's gonna do with it is all that social nonsense (Facebook, KIK, Instagram, etc.) She's into music and her data quota is 1GB/month. So she'll need to make an intelligent decision about how much storage she needs. Given that choice, I would take the 32GB 5C (or a G2 or S4). Her choice.

My daughter (13) had a 32 gb iPhone 4 and wanted a new iPhone. Since we are on T-mobile and there is no subsidy, we sold her 4 and then we split the remaining cost for the new phone. I gave her the same choice, a 16 gb 5s or a 32 gb 5c. After she did some research, she decided that the extra 16gb of space was more of a benefit for her, so she wound up with a blue 5c and she loves it. We made her split the cost of the iPhone (after the sale of her 4) to teach her some financial responsibility and so that she understood the cost of the device. we of course put that money in her college account and bought the phone, but she does not know that......

~S
    Last edited by gazoo2010; 02-07-2014 at 10:39 AM.
    cwbcpa likes this.
    02-07-2014 09:34 AM
    I seriously need to do that. I've got way too many devices laying around right now. It's quite a troublesome drawer of quickly depreciating electronics I have. I've had to literally give some away...
    If nothing else you can at least sell them on Gazelle.

Sent from my titanium rMini LTE
    02-07-2014 09:42 AM
    Maybe she would rather have the Moto Razr V3 I have in the attic, and maybe you should stop worrying about what iPhone to buy a 14 yr old ...
    Smply_Rcklss likes this.
    02-07-2014 11:06 AM
    Maybe she would rather have the Moto Razr V3 I have in the attic, and maybe you should stop worrying about what iPhone to buy a 14 yr old ...
    Razr V3 those were good times.
    02-07-2014 11:20 AM
    Oh, I wasn't worried at all. I do, however, value other's opinions. In the long run she'll get whatever we decide to give her. Whether or not she likes it is really not of much consequence to me. I can turn into the coldly logical (evil) stepdad faster than you can say "iOS".

Razr V3 those were good times.
    Yes they were indeed.

Sent from my liberated plutonium 5s 64
    02-07-2014 11:26 AM
    Don't forget the 4S is still available.
    02-07-2014 11:36 AM
    Don't forget the 4S is still available.
    Actually, I am considering letting her have my 32GB space gray "iRiidium" 5s that I got last week (since I also have this silver 64GB) and getting a 16GB 4S. I like how you can have the front and back changed on the 4s (I saw a royal/electric blue mirrored front and back I certainly wouldn't mind having) and I could prolly make do with 16GB on my secondary line.

02-07-2014 11:50 AM
    I say neither. Teenagers don't need smartphones. Get her a flip phone.
    02-07-2014 12:06 PM
    I have the 5c and love it and I'm 44! It's by no means a cheaply made phone. I think it will be just fine for her co guarantee she can't even list the different specs of the two devices. Get her the free one! She's blessed not to get a prepaid flip!

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    02-07-2014 12:08 PM
    Yeah, I agree but the closest I'd come to that at this stage is just getting her an 8GB 4s. She does like music and I see no reason to get her a flip phone and an iPod.

02-07-2014 12:09 PM
    She already has an i4 it would make no sense

This day and age a Teenager with a smartphone is normal there's a lot of adults that shouldn't have a smartphone because they only use them for calls

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB
    02-07-2014 02:11 PM
    My kids had flip phones for a long time. I didn't care what other teenagers had.

They reached their legal milestone birthday and I got them iphones as a reward for who they were as human beings. If they ever would have said to me, I don't want a 5c I want a 5s, they would be using a tin can and string.

But that's me, I don't do "spoiled".
    02-09-2014 10:33 AM
    Actually, I am considering letting her have my 32GB space gray "iRiidium" 5s that I got last week (since I also have this silver 64GB) and getting a 16GB 4S. I like how you can have the front and back changed on the 4s (I saw a royal/electric blue mirrored front and back I certainly wouldn't mind having) and I could prolly make do with 16GB on my secondary line.

Wait! So you have 2 5s and are considering buying a 4s? and also debating if you should get the girl an iPhone? Really? 😄 give the girl
    one of those already!

I agree with teenagers having "high tech" phones nowadays whether we like it or not, but it's important to teach them how to use them responsibly, not for sexting and such.

I have an ip5 and my 14 y.o cousin just got a shiny new gold 5s, Does she really need it? is she gonna take full advantage of it? absolutely not! but I am her reference, I have an iPhone, I made my family switch to iPhones, well it's fairly logic that she wanted to get one, and ditch her old blackberry, I guess.

Tapatalkeando
    02-09-2014 10:59 PM
    Wait! So you have 2 5s and are considering buying a 4s? and also debating if you should get the girl an iPhone? Really? 😄 give the girl
    one of those already!
    Give her. One of. My 5s'? Naaaa. Is not going to happen. Anytime soon. Not until I upgrade/change. She has an 8GB 4s now. One of my 5s' wears a LifeProof Fre the other wears a tempered glass screen protector and carbon fiber case. I use which ever is better dressed for the occasion as well as switching them out while the other is charging. Giving one away would interrupt my...Flow.

Last edited by iRiidium; 02-10-2014 at 03:08 PM.
    02-10-2014 03:24 AM
    one of those already!

I agree with teenagers having "high tech" phones nowadays whether we like it or not, but it's important to teach them how to use them responsibly, not for sexting and such.

I have an ip5 and my 14 y.o cousin just got a shiny new gold 5s, Does she really need it? is she gonna take full advantage of it? absolutely not! but I am her reference, I have an iPhone, I made my family switch to iPhones, well it's fairly logic that she wanted to get one, and ditch her old blackberry, I guess.

Tapatalkeando
    My kids didn't get iPhones until they were 21. They wanted androids and wouldn't let them get it. Also as a condition of me paying for the service no jail breaking.

IMO no teenager needs anything and mine, pre 21, were grateful to have phones. Now my kids are grateful I'm paying for their phone service.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    iRiidium and Speedygi like this.
    02-12-2014 08:01 AM
    My kids didn't get iPhones until they were 21. They wanted androids and wouldn't let them get it. Also as a condition of me paying for the service no jail breaking.

IMO no teenager needs anything and mine, pre 21, were grateful to have phones. Now my kids are grateful I'm paying for their phone service.

I didn't get my first phone until I was 21, paid for it myself. My mom always said that if she got me what I wanted, I'd never learn priorities...

Then again, I didn't mind because she couldn't call me all day long. LOL
    02-12-2014 09:28 AM

I'm a firm believer that every kid who has a license and a car absolutely NEEDS a cell phone. I can't even count the number of times that something happened when I was out and driving that I needed to call my mom about, sometimes for help. As the parent, I'd worry constantly while the kid was out if they didn't have a way to get in touch with me if they needed to.

Now, on topic, I think you're handling the situation very well, iRiidium. You were right to be upset about her bratty comment and I can certainly understand your want of letting her know. I believe that the type of phone a child receives is 100% dependent on the child. If they're ill-behaved, bratty, and don't do well in school (or more importantly, in life) then they probably don't deserve the best phone out there. I know you said she can be a brat, but does she good well in school? Is she well-adjusted in terms of how to treat people outside of being spoiled? If there's a lot of room for improvement, then maybe it's something she needs to earn gradually. I got my first phone in 7th grade (in 2002), long before any else in school and before the vast majority of their parents as well. I didn't do chores to earn my phone, but I earned it by being a good student and staying on the right track. I never did drugs or took a single drink and my mom felt that I deserved to be rewarded for making good decisions. So I don't think there's really a one-size-fits-all approach to what you should or shouldn't give your kids or for the reason in which you see fit, just whatever feels right and works for your family.
    02-12-2014 10:33 PM
    I'm a firm believer that every kid who has a license and a car absolutely NEEDS a cell phone. I can't even count the number of times that something happened when I was out and driving that I needed to call my mom about, sometimes for help. As the parent, I'd worry constantly while the kid was out if they didn't have a way to get in touch with me if they needed to.

Now, on topic, I think you're handling the situation very well, iRiidium. You were right to be upset about her bratty comment and I can certainly understand your want of letting her know. I believe that the type of phone a child receives is 100% dependent on the child. If they're ill-behaved, bratty, and don't do well in school (or more importantly, in life) then they probably don't deserve the best phone out there. I know you said she can be a brat, but does she good well in school? Is she well-adjusted in terms of how to treat people outside of being spoiled? If there's a lot of room for improvement, then maybe it's something she needs to earn gradually. I got my first phone in 7th grade (in 2002), long before any else in school and before the vast majority of their parents as well. I didn't do chores to earn my phone, but I earned it by being a good student and staying on the right track. I never did drugs or took a single drink and my mom felt that I deserved to be rewarded for making good decisions. So I don't think there's really a one-size-fits-all approach to what you should or shouldn't give your kids or for the reason in which you see fit, just whatever feels right and works for your family.
    This^. As a teenager myself, I understand why many people think we shouldn't have smartphones. But, at my school, it is essential to have one, not only for communication with friends, but even teachers. Teachers now post all homework online, and if you can't get it on your phone, too bad for you they say. They expect most kids to have smartphones and use them in class to complete online activities, research, etc. My 70 year old history teacher has us texting responses to his surveys from our phones, and my Italian teacher has us use google voice to record our speaking activities for her to listen to. Without our phones, none of this would be possible.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    the_tech_eater likes this.
    02-14-2014 07:48 PM
    This^. As a teenager myself, I understand why many people think we shouldn't have smartphones. But, at my school, it is essential to have one, not only for communication with friends, but even teachers. Teachers now post all homework online, and if you can't get it on your phone, too bad for you they say. They expect most kids to have smartphones and use them in class to complete online activities, research, etc. My 70 year old history teacher has us texting responses to his surveys from our phones, and my Italian teacher has us use google voice to record our speaking activities for her to listen to. Without our phones, none of this would be possible.

True, but the very cheapest windows phone would serve that purpose. Also, did your school let parents know that students need smartphones in order to complete the curriculum?

Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE
    02-14-2014 10:57 PM
    True, but the very cheapest windows phone would serve that purpose. Also, did your school let parents know that students need smartphones in order to complete the curriculum?

That's very true. The school did not let parents know, mostly they saw that everyone already had a smartphone and just went with it

02-15-2014 07:33 AM
    I did prefer the 4s' build materials to the 5's...it just seemed more durable with that stainless steel band but other than that I prefer everything else about the 5S.

02-15-2014 08:24 AM
    Has she gotten her new phone yet? If so, what did she choose?
    02-15-2014 04:17 PM
61 123