Can't decide: 5C or 5S?

unity04

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to buy a new phone and can't decide between the 5C and the 5S. Personally, and call me crazy, but I like the look and feel of the white 5C better than the 5S. Second, for the 5S, I don't consider TouchID a big deal, and I don't really care all that much for camera improvements since I don't take too many pictures.. (did I just answer my question? lol)

The main thing holding me back from getting the 5C is performance. I understand it has the same processor as the iPhone 5, and that's the one thing that's bugging me. I always like to have the latest and greatest tech, and I'm not entirely sure how much faster the 5S is than the 5C in terms of real world performance. I have a few questions about the two if anyone has tried both out:

- Does the 5C ever lag with iOS 7 whether loading/exiting apps or scrolling in the browser?
- Side by side, is the 5S that much faster than the 5C?
- Does the 5C ever stutter when playing graphic intensive games?

I'm just worried about performance - main thing I'm looking for, but love the look and feel of the 5C. Anyone who can weigh on in this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
A7 chip is twice as fast as the A6 and includes the 64 bit. The A7 was built with forward thinking by Apple. It will perform well with future major OS updates to where the A6 and 5c might start to feel sluggish next year. It is your call.

claudeburdel

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't have the 5s so I can't compare, but I can tell you that for me, the 5c has never lagged or stuttered in Safari or anything else.

jpxyz

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Take the 5s, if you want a phone that's ready for the future..
And I think it's better to take the 5s and not the 5c because the 5c is too expensive for an colorful plastic iPhone 5 with a better battery. (1 year old technical specifications and so on and too expensive, especially in comparison with the 5s)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to buy a new phone and can't decide between the 5C and the 5S. Personally, and call me crazy, but I like the look and feel of the white 5C better than the 5S. Second, for the 5S, I don't consider TouchID a big deal, and I don't really care all that much for camera improvements since I don't take too many pictures.. (did I just answer my question? lol)
Yes, you did...:)

The main thing holding me back from getting the 5C is performance. I understand it has the same processor as the iPhone 5, and that's the one thing that's bugging me. I always like to have the latest and greatest tech, and I'm not entirely sure how much faster the 5S is than the 5C in terms of real world performance. I have a few questions about the two if anyone has tried both out:

- Does the 5C ever lag with iOS 7 whether loading/exiting apps or scrolling in the browser?
My iPhone 5 doesn't lag so I doubt the 5C does.
The 5S is noticeably faster than the 5C, but will a second or 2 really matter for YOU?
My iPhone 5 doesn't, but I don't play that many. Still, If the iPhone 5 can handle a great deal of graphic intense games without a problem, I'm sure the 5C can, too.

I'm just worried about performance - main thing I'm looking for, but love the look and feel of the 5C. Anyone who can weigh on in this, I would greatly appreciate it.
Get the device that you will want to use, and don't get caught up with technical mumbo jumbo. The latest models will almost always be better than it predecessors, however, that doesn't mean that you have to get it or like it. People tend to overlook "real world" usage because their minds are clouded with having the latest. If for one second that I thought my iPhone 5 wouldn't perform to my satisfaction after the release of the 5C and 5S, I would have gotten one of them, but that's not the case. My iPhone 5 runs fast, smoothly and is showing no signs of needing to be replaced or upgraded, and I'm basing this on "my" real world daily use....(hint hint)

Last edited:

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
yes, you did...:)

my iphone 5 doesn't lag so i doubt the 5c does.
The 5s is noticeably faster than the 5c, but will a second or 2 really matter for you?
My iphone 5 doesn't, but i don't play that many. Still, if the iphone 5 can handle a great deal of graphic intense games without a problem, i'm sure the 5c can, too.

Get the device that you will want to use, and don't get caught up with technical mumbo jumbo. The latest models will almost always be better than it predecessors, however, that doesn't mean that you have to get it or like it. People tend to overlook "real world" usage because they're minds are clouded with having the latest. If for one second that i thought my iphone 5 wouldn't perform to my satisfaction after the release of the 5c and 5s, i would have gotten one of them, but that's not the case. My iphone 5 runs fast, smoothly and is showing no signs of needing to be replaced or upgraded, and i'm basing this on "my" real world daily use....(hint hint)

Well put.......PERIOD :yes:

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

If you are into graphic intensive games the 5s may be your best bet because of the faster A7. I would think that graphic intensive games are moving in the direction of the A7 and 64 bit. I think that devs that are doing Graphic intensive games are developing on a 5s. Keep this in mind when deciding.

#Naked Tuesday

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

To answer in order:
1- No
2- Yes, if compared side by side the 5s opens apps a tid bit faster (now if you go to techy terms they will tell you how much faster).
3- No. But I've noticed specifically with Injustice: Gods among us, when loading for the first time and if im listening to music it skips for a fraction of a second but then it runs the game smooth also any other game I've tried, no stutter while playing.

If you always like having the latest and greatest dear, you shouldn't even be asking this question.

Good luck!

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
This is one of the reasons that I like iPhones. They generally have good performance even through the older devices. A friend of mine still has the iPhone 4 and performance isn't bad at all.

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
To be future proof, get the 5S for the processor. The chip is just better and will be better for future iterations of iOS. Think of it this way, iOS 7 is garbage on an iphone 4, but fair on a 4S

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
5S is the latest and most durable iPhone. If you watched the drop test, you will see it's stronger than the 5C. Remember, its what you want not what we tell you to buy.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner