Is it recommended that apps be close on the iPhone?

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
So on BlackBerry you would use the menu to close apps.

Is it recommended that apps be close on the iPhone? I know if you hold the home button you can flick away the apps to close them. I do that after each app use.

Does it help battery life or phone speed? Or is it better to just leave the apps running?

Thanks.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I wouldn't say I close every app after each use, but at least one or twice a day. As far as battery life, I get really good life . But it does make sense the less running in the back ground the better battery life you will get.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi Chrisy !! When I got my first iPhone 2yrs ago, the 4S, I was super anal about making sure I closed out my apps running in the background multiple times a day. I can say that became really tedious, really fast. Fast forward to now -I have the 5C. The only apps I close out after using them is iTunes radio, Dropbox and the iMore app. Anything else that's use like messages, mail, calendar etc. I just leave alone. I haven't seen any negative affects on either my 4S or 5C, and I got great battery life on the 4S, and I get great battery life on my 5C as well too.

It really just comes down to preference on what you feel more comfortable doing with your iDevice. If your happy enough closing everything and it doesn't take hours out of your day then so be it:) but as stated above, and many other members will tell you also, it's not really necessary.

sanc333

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I would suggest you to close facebook at least. It is the biggest battery hogger even if its in sleep mode. When i close the app before sleeping then only 1% of my battery reduces but if i don't close facebook then there is a 5-6% decrease of battery.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I would suggest you to close facebook at least. It is the biggest battery hogger even if its in sleep mode. When i close the app before sleeping then only 1% of my battery reduces but if i don't close facebook then there is a 5-6% decrease of battery.

I have not noticed this behavior with Facebook, I leave it running in the background ... Killed it and haven't noticed any difference in the battery, perhaps it was a older version causing the problems for you?

sanc333

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Can't say much about facebook for iPad. But facebook for iPhone 4S surely eats some battery overnight.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys!

Yeah the reason I asked is because it's getting really annoying to close them all, all the time.

I'll let them be then. And if I notice a battery drain I'll close out the ones mentioned. Thanks again.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Lots of people don't use the multitasking app screen for much else but to close apps but if your power using switching between apps all day it comes in handy when your in an app just hit the home button twice right away puts you in the switcher and in another app you need right away instead of going to the launcher screen

Sent from my iPhone 5

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't close any apps on the other hand my wife is constantly closing apps both of us have the 5c and we both get great battery life. Unlike android iOS is very good about memory management and putting apps to sleep so they don't negatively effect battery life and performance. So use the device as you please and if you notice that one app is mis behaving kill it or find a better alternative

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I have the "Background App Refresh" turned off... so I don’t close apps at all. Like many, I used to be really anal about closing them... and like most, I don’t have any issue/battery drain/etc that results from not closing them.

IMHO, it’s not necessary.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I have the "Background App Refresh" turned off... so I don’t close apps at all. Like many, I used to be really anal about closing them... and like most, I don’t have any issue/battery drain/etc that results from not closing them.

IMHO, it’s not necessary.

Ah I didn't know about the app refresh setting. Thanks. I will look into that!

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I have the "Background App Refresh" turned off... so I don?t close apps at all. Like many, I used to be really anal about closing them... and like most, I don?t have any issue/battery drain/etc that results from not closing them.

IMHO, it?s not necessary.

Hmm I keep certain ones like weather on. Thought I had to for the badges to refresh.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's necessary to close apps. I haven't noticed a difference in battery life or functionality. I know I usually close out apps once a day, it's just more of a habit for me.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
It depends on who you ask but as a rule you either have a habit like me of closing apps in the background or you just don't worry about it and leave them alone. As a rule they sort of go into a sleep mode anyway after about 10 mine I think it is.

DarkBlade_95

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Well, I keep Background App Refresh on, so I close an app if I'm not going to use them for an extended amount of time. Right now, I have Safari, Alien Blue and Music on aside from Tapatalk and I don't have any significant drop in performance or battery life.

Just close all the apps you don't plan to use for a while or throughout the day and you should be covered.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77