5C Price Slashed to $49.99 after three weeks? Did it FLUNK?

cckgz4

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I think the tech sites/followers hyped up the 5C to sell more than the 5s due to the assumption that it would be priced very low, but since it didn't, it didn't sell as expected.

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Apple still sold, or at least shipped, as many 5C's launch weekend as the entire WP lineup sells in a month, just to put things into perspective. It may have been a lower volume than expected, but I wouldn't call it a fail or a flunk.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You can't base success or failure on an individual retail store's discounted rates...for a while, Spring was offering the iPhone 5 for $99 when everyone else was at normal pricing, and it was just because Sprint was desperate to sell their devices and get people to sign up for their service. This had no reflection on the actual success or failure of the iPhone 5, it had to do with the desperation of Sprint.

Now Target, it's a bit different, as they are not specific to any carrier (as far as I know)...but their discounted rate on the 5c is probably from ordering so many of them, and not moving as many as they thought they would. This has really no bearing on the success of the iPhone, Target probably ordered a ton of them, and Target is not the first thought people have when it comes to buying an iPhone so I'm sure it has to do with back stock.

Looking at the numbers, and the fact that the iPhone 5c was essentially just more colorful variant of the iPhone 5, it's not surprising it didn't move with the same frequency as the 5S...why would it? It's not really an "upgrade", it's just an option (in my opinion). Combine that with the fact that Target is probably one of the lesser frequented cell phone "stores" and you have a recipe for discounted products.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I was reading on Mashable that Walmart and Best Buy make more money on the 2 year contract than the phone itself so slashing prices could increase contract sales which means more money.

sashlon

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It has tanked pretty bad I think.

If they'd actually made it 'cheap' it might have done better. Why would anyone want a 5C when the 5 is more premium. The innards are the same.

Having had a play with one, I was totally unimpressed. I thought it felt cheap. Cheap and tacky like a Samsung device.

The 5 and the 5S on the other hand, those feel premium. Not my cup of tea, but they do feel nice.

weblou

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
The 5c feels nothing like a samsung device. I had an S4 and my gf has the 5c. Personally I think the 5c feels better in the hands then my 5s.
Not everyone cares about "premium". A lot of people want colour and funky/fun looking devices. The 5c offers that. I see a lot of ads for the 5c and I'm seeing more and more people with them. Mostly blue and white ones.
They won't out sell the ip5s but they will be in top 3 I think. Especially after the holidays.

If they'd actually made it 'cheap' it might have done better. Why would anyone want a 5C when the 5 is more premium. The innards are the same.

Having had a play with one, I was totally unimpressed. I thought it felt cheap. Cheap and tacky like a Samsung device.

The 5 and the 5S on the other hand, those feel premium. Not my cup of tea, but they do feel nice.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Really? lol...the iPhone 5 is more premium, even though it's essentially the same phone (with the 5c having better cellular antenna function and a better camera). The feel of the phone is purely an opinion based thing, but honestly, you're like one of the only people that has ever commented on how the 5c feels "cheap", even the major anti-Apple review sites said the 5c has a very solid feel, not cheap at all...but again, opinions are opinions.

"Not my cut of tea..."

Thanks for letting us know troll. Looking at your post history, it seems clear why you're here.

Armada

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
The price slash is the only reason I'm buying the 5C over the 5S. There isn't too much of a gap in performance to warrant another $150 in my budget. As far as Apple's concerned the retailer paid their price for that stock AND it might draw in more users into their ecosystem. People such as me.

sashlon

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Really? lol...the iPhone 5 is more premium, even though it's essentially the same phone (with the 5c having better cellular antenna function and a better camera). The feel of the phone is purely an opinion based thing, but honestly, you're like one of the only people that has ever commented on how the 5c feels "cheap", even the major anti-Apple review sites said the 5c has a very solid feel, not cheap at all...but again, opinions are opinions.

"Not my cut of tea..."

Thanks for letting us know troll. Looking at your post history, it seems clear why you're here.

Wow...

I'm not sure how to respond to that. If you read my posts then you know I'm here because I just bought an iPad 4 (which I actually like quite a bit). I am not an Apple hater, however I'm not a fan either. I've never owned an Apple device before, nor have I ever visited an Apple forum before.

I'm a bit platform agnostic. I've had BlackBerries and Androids. I currently use a Windows Phone. And I call it as I see it with my opinions. I'm new here, but in my experience forums are where people discuss and debate things. Having a difference of opinion shouldn't lead to name calling.

But if you want to discourage new members, that's one way to go it guess.

Etios

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site

"Not my cut of tea..."

Why call anyone troll for expressing their opinion? Even i agree that iphone 5C has FLUNKED, Apple should have followed the normal routine and reduced the price of iphone 5 instead of trying to boost margins further by going for iphone 5C.

cckgz4

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind OP, everything I see has to do with GIFT CARDS being thrown in with the purchase, not an actual price adjustment. Apple has not slashed the price at all, probably because they're selling just fine. Come troll when APPLE actually adjusts the price.

what does windows phone sales, or anyone else's sales, have to do with the topic??

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Apple is not reducing the price of the 5C. Retailers are. They are, more than likely, still paying Apple a contractually agreed upon price. So the retailers have determined that either 1) discounting the price brings people into the stores that then purchase enough additional merchandise to make up for the price discount, 2) they feel like they have to match Walmart's discount even if it provides no advantage and/or 3) the loss from the discount is less than the loss from holding on to non-selling inventory.

My guess is that Walmart made choice #1 and BestBuy, Target, Radioshack are in bucket #2. #3 is possible but there is no evidence as of yet. Retailers make choices like #1 all the time.

Choice number one is it. I work in retail and I price things low enough to get people inside and consider buying other things they may not have normally had thought about purchasing to begin with. This says nothing about the iPhone 5C having "flunked." It's the Apple device that retailers can play with when it comes to pricing.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal