And I crazy? Returned my 5s for a 5c....

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I've not lost sight of anything bud, and I'm certainly not kidding myself...the proof is right in front of my eyes. The fact that you said "slightly better pixels" in regard to the low light photos from the 5S is why it's better tells me all I need to know about your knowledge on the subject. Your responses to every feature on the 5S is the same old "it's not THAT much better", and that's funny, coming from the person using the 5c...you have the lower tier phone, accept that there are features that are better up top.

The proof is in the pudding, the 5S's camera is a significantly upgraded option...the 5c has a great camera, the 5S has a better camera. Here's one very clear example...it encompasses the low light processing power, the light balance control and the color saturation control under many different lighting situations at the same time...

iPhone 5/5c...
http://i.imgur.com/16cUYOB.jpg

iPhone 5S...
http://i.imgur.com/Q2KtlMP.jpg

...look, I understand that people who own a 5c are very happy with their camera, and for good reason, having lived with that camera for over a year with the iPhone 5, it's certainly one of the best cameras in the smart phone world. But let's speak about losing touch with reality...the 5S is the premium tier phone here, and it has the premium tier camera...it is better, it takes better pictures, it has better features (a quite a few of them at that!)...the burst mode itself is a significant improvement that not many people are talking about...since you mentioned your experience with DSLR cameras, isn't it nice to be able to take action shots in the way that those cameras can? The 5S offers a MUCH closer experience to that in this nature, and that's just one new feature! LOL.

And let's not start the d*ck swinging about having experience with photography...you don't want to go there.

I’m going to go there in a second.

But first, notwithstanding my previous comments about IOS, the 5s IS the premium Apple phone at the moment.

On paper the technology of the 5s over the 5c can be minimized quite easily:

- Finger print reader: “not a positive, it’s a negative”, “it’s a gimmick”
- A7 coprocessor: “never play games”
- A7, 64 bit and DDR3 memory: “I didn’t notice a difference in speed between the two devices in the apple store”
- Camera: “don’t need burst, slo-mo, secondary tru-tone lighting, better low-light abilities. Pictures are good enough”:
- Aluminum vs plastic: “aluminum bends easier than the plastic and shows smudges”, “slips from the hands easily”
- Wireless chip: "what, there is a difference?"

The 5s is fully packed with technology that far and away distances itself from the 5c, that there is no debate about. Some people may not really care and I understand that. And others may have phony reasons(imo) about buying the 5c over the 5s, such worrying about the bending of the aluminum. or the efficacy of the fingerprint reader. The 5c is a second tier phone reflected in it’s price.

Now about the camera. Every cell phone since my flip-phone LG has been used to take very nice opportunistic photos. Even that old 1.3 megapixel sensor captured some great keepers. Through the various LG flip phones, into Blackberry and now Apple, I have captured keepers and have taken thousands of photos through the years.

After getting my iphone on one occasion I left my photography equipment home thinking my iphone could be a small and wonderful substitute. I was disappointed with the snaps I ended up with. It was a tough lighting situation, but I thought the iphone could handle it. Unfortunately I was wrong, lesson learned.

In the right lighting, I think the iphone is so good you would be hard pressed to tell the difference with the same photo taken by a high end pro-DSLR. But there also seems to be some very noticeable compression issues at work on the 5s, something I never noticed with other camera phones. But have noticed on my 5s. There’s another thread on imore about this issue.

So my conclusion: from what I can gather from reviews and my own use the camera in the iphone 5s, is either at the top or near the top in it's segment. But also over-hyped.

Attachments

• IMG_0196.PNG
    IMG_0196.PNG
    501.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Ebaneeezor

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I did the same thing - but for similar but different reasons. Recently dropped ATT because I could rent a studio apartment for the monthly cost of the cell plan. Went to Tmobile where we happily picked up two 16GB 5C's to replace our pair of 64GB 5S's (which are now resting as paperweights) But the choice was two fold - like you, we just didn't "need" all the stuff, and decided to cut back in monthly bill and the cell phone itself - however, the move had to sacrifice no loss of service of performance and we achieved that :) I say you were brilliant!

Ebaneeezor

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Im not entirely comfortable with the fingerprint reader either. just a personal feeling, but I just see this as another Government collection option IMO..to that, I say no thanks - even if it is borderline conspiracy theory :)

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Im not entirely comfortable with the fingerprint reader either. just a personal feeling, but I just see this as another Government collection option IMO..to that, I say no thanks - even if it is borderline conspiracy theory :)

Given what the NSA is doing, I'd say fingerprints are the last thing you should be worried about.

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I like the idea of the 5c and don't mind the idea of plastic (when done right). If they had offered some masculine colors other than white I may have chosen one. Black, dark grey, navy, wine/maroon? ...but IMO Apple was scared offering such sliqness would have interrupted sales of the more costly 5S. That's okay, I'm happy with the Space Grey and Silver I ended up with.

Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE

wiino

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
I have 5c and i can't say nothung bad about the phone.
Only thing i mind is screan.
I came from s4 mini and it bit anoing to se gorila with ni scratches what si ever after 6 monts and see thini scratches on iphone after just 2 days of use.
Dont get me wrong iphone is better the samsung (5c over s4 mini) just this thing about screan. Could they do some more eford un that area?
Non the les, 5c is stunnig phone.
And dont even mind the plastic. Just oposite. Feels grate in the hand and i dont entend to smash it on the ground. So plastuc case has + from me.

Sent from iPhone

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I have 5c and i can't say nothung bad about the phone.
Only thing i mind is screan.
I came from s4 mini and it bit anoing to se gorila with ni scratches what si ever after 6 monts and see thini scratches on iphone after just 2 days of use.
Dont get me wrong iphone is better the samsung (5c over s4 mini) just this thing about screan. Could they do some more eford un that area?
Non the les, 5c is stunnig phone.
And dont even mind the plastic. Just oposite. Feels grate in the hand and i dont entend to smash it on the ground. So plastuc case has + from me.

Sent from iPhone

No harm meant but what happened with your post? After the first two and a half sentences I gave up trying to decipher it.

Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE

Last edited:

wiino

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
:D
I see now i got some spelling errors. Sory for that.
It's still kind hard to do fast write on this phone.
My bad. ;)

Sent from iPhone

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
:D
I see now i got some spelling errors. Sory for that.
It's still kind hard to do fast write on this phone.
My bad. ;)

Sent from iPhone

It's very hard to write slow on this phone as well.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2