Any difference between contract-free T-mobile and SIM-free versions?

jdbii

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Regarding the two unlocked contract-free versions, (and the fact that the T-mobile version comes with a sim card installed), are there any other differences between the two? Are they the exact same phones? Are they interchangeable on both AT&T and T-mobile's networks without limitations?

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Regarding the two unlocked contract-free versions, (and the fact that the T-mobile version comes with a sim card installed), are there any other differences between the two? Are they the exact same phones? Are they interchangeable on both AT&T and T-mobile's networks without limitations?

What do you mean by sim free phones? Unlocked phones?

jdbii

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
What do you mean by sim free phones? Unlocked phones?

On the Apple Store website once you select your color for the iPhone 5c iPhone 5c - Buy iPhone 5c in white, pink, yellow, blue, or green - Apple Store (U.S.) you have to choose a model. You can opt for one of the big three: AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon, but you have two other options at the bottom of the page.

On the website Apple labels the last two options as "unlocked and contract-free." One is a T-mobile version (it comes with a nano-sim intalled) and the other is a SIM-free version. You pay full price for those phones. I was enquiring if anybody knew if those were the exact same GSM phones despite a sim card being installed on the T-mobile version? For instance, do thay have any branding or are they radio-band specific? I would assume that they would be the exact same phones and fully functional on both T-mobile or AT&T's networks and their respective MVNO's, but I wanted to see if anybody in the forums knew more about it.

rdubmu

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
How about if you buy an iPhone at t-mobile is it unlocked?

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

I read a post on here last week (forgive me, I don't remember the thread) that said that it supposedly comes locked to T-Mobile if buying directly through them.

Peter Cohen

iMore staff
Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
T-Mobile retail stores sell locked iPhones. They'll sell them to you at the lower rate that you get through financing the device over 24 months, either as part of their JUMP upgrade program (which allows you to upgrade to a new model sooner) or just by paying it off in monthly installments. My local store doesn't sell _any_ unlocked units. I bought mine unlocked with a T-Mobile SIM pre-installed from the Apple Store.

No, there's no difference between one with the T-Mobile SIM or without. It's an unlocked standard GSM phone.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

As mentioned above, the iPhone 5S that is sold at a T_Mobile store is locked to their network. However, they will unlock it after you have completed 40 days of service with them.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro.

Sean_in_DC

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
A 5S originally sold for use on T-Mobile, even if unlocked by T-Mobile (after being paid for) would NOT be usable on Verizon, correct?

Same for the off-contract T-Mobile 5S purchased from the Apple Store (online)?

***>>> If I want a 5S that I can use on T-Mobile (for a while, but not under contract) and then later use on Verizon (if I'm not happy with T-Mo), HOW DO I DO THAT??

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
A 5S originally sold for use on T-Mobile, even if unlocked by T-Mobile (after being paid for) would NOT be usable on Verizon, correct?

Same for the off-contract T-Mobile 5S purchased from the Apple Store (online)?

***>>> If I want a 5S that I can use on T-Mobile (for a while, but not under contract) and then later use on Verizon (if I'm not happy with T-Mo), HOW DO I DO THAT??

If you want an iPhone to be used on Verizon, it has to be the Verizon variant.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77