Why should I buy the 5c?

civil_civic

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I currently have a LG Cosmos Touch and am looking to upgrade to a smartphone. I was looking at a iPhone 5 but saw the 5c was a little more or better features. I am still skeptical on the 5c's durability. Help me out?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Buy the C if you cant afford the S. No other reason to do it unless you really want a yellow phone.

How about buying the iPhone 5C if that's what you prefer or if you think the iPhone 5S is more than you'll need or something like that...;)

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
Why would you prefer not to have the latest features that Apple is offering? Why would a finger print scanner make the phone "more than you would need"?

chocolateyum

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
That article kch50428 posted really sums up the benefits well over the 5. A better facetime camera and a slightly larger battery as compared to a solid, metal body.

If you decide on the 5, it's still on sale for the same price on contract as the 5c right now at Best Buy. I think it's supposed to be discontinued on Sept 20.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Why would you prefer not to have the latest features that Apple is offering?
Because it is a choice that I have and I may find that what others may see as a benefit, I may see as overkill.
Why would a finger print scanner make the phone "more than you would need"?
if I never plan to use it, it is more than I need. ;)

alicepattinson

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I currently have a LG Cosmos Touch and am looking to upgrade to a smartphone. I was looking at a iPhone 5 but saw the 5c was a little more or better features. I am still skeptical on the 5c's durability. Help me out?

Just get the 5S :) it's more better than iP5C IMO only. hehehe.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
But overkill is only $100 away. If it was $200, then I could agree.

"Only $100 away"? You're assuming that everyone view $100 as chump change. The iPhone 5C is not an iPhone knockoff. It surpasses the iPhone 5, and that's saying something. My point is this: be considerate of others and their situation and/or choices. That's all. Anyway, I'm back from the fitness center and need to get cleaned up. Thanks for the conversation, and Enjoy the rest of your day.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, in the context of the overall cost of owning a smartphone, its chump change.

enjoy your workout.

Gotta agree with JustMe'D on this...to some people (smartphone or not) the extra $100 could break the deal. It all depends on the person and their situation. At the same time, the 5c is still a great phone that may be on more people's budgets that don't need the better processor, fingerprint scanner, etc. At the end of the day, it all depends on what the person wants and needs.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
Totally short sighted way of viewing things. You are going to spend 2400 over the course of your contract. You think spending 100 bucks less at purchase makes big difference?

Lets put it this way, if you care enough about the Iphone to come on this website and ask the question, then my opinion stands.

If you feel that the extra 100 bucks is a deal breaker when all is considered? You should probably stick to your dumb phone anyway and save the money for things like.........................food.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Totally short sighted way of viewing things. You are going to spend 2400 over the course of your contract. You think spending 100 bucks less at purchase makes big difference?

Lets put it this way, if you care enough about the Iphone to come on this website and ask the question, then my opinion stands.

If you feel that the extra 100 bucks is a deal breaker when all is considered? You should probably stick to your dumb phone anyway and save the money for things like.........................food.

If someone has a budget that doesn't have room for an extra $100 upfront at purchase and is looking for something around $100 or less (upfront), then yes it can make a big difference. I get what your saying, I really do...but everyone's situation is different. Everyone has different wants and needs. An extra $100 upfront for a phone to you may be nothing, and if that's the case then more power to you. But that isn't everyone's situation financially.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently looking into getting the 5C myself. It will be more durable with the polycarbonate backing (i can skip getting a case for it!) and that is whats leaning me more towards it also, as well as it having more features than my 4S has (better front facing cam). But like D has stated....i don't need the extra bells & whistles the 5S will have.

In addition, budget wise - i also looked at it from this point of view:
5C will cost $100, then I'll pay $100 for AppleCare+ to cover it for 2 years ~ totaling my out of pocket about $240ish. (with tax & upgrade fee)
the 5S would put me at $350(tax & upgrade fees-not including a cost of a case), and I really didn't want to spend that this time around honestly.

I think the 5C was a GREAT addition to Apples line-up. and hey...who couldn't love having a color to choose from to reflect our personality:);)
I'm thinking either pink or yellow for myself!

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
Pink, when are making a purchase such as this, I would strongly recommend you dont think of what you need today. But what you will need a year from now. For an extra $4.16 a month, over the life of the contract, its a small price to pay.

Now, as I said in my initial response, if you love color and that is what is most important, then by all means..............

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently looking into getting the 5C myself. It will be more durable with the polycarbonate backing (i can skip getting a case for it!) and that is whats leaning me more towards it also, as well as it having more features than my 4S has (better front facing cam). But like D has stated....i don't need the extra bells & whistles the 5S will have.

In addition, budget wise - i also looked at it from this point of view:
5C will cost $100, then I'll pay $100 for AppleCare+ to cover it for 2 years ~ totaling my out of pocket about $240ish. (with tax & upgrade fee)
the 5S would put me at $350(tax & upgrade fees-not including a cost of a case), and I really didn't want to spend that this time around honestly.

I think the 5C was a GREAT addition to Apples line-up. and hey...who couldn't love having a color to choose from to reflect our personality:);)
I'm thinking either pink or yellow for myself!

Excellent point and example Pink! I didn't even think about AppleCare

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Pink, when are making a purchase such as this, I would strongly recommend you dont think of what you need today. But what you will need a year from now. For an extra $4.16 a month, over the life of the contract, its a small price to pay.

Now, as I said in my initial response, if you love color and that is what is most important, then by all means..............

:rolleyes: the COLOR is not what my main focus is on the 5C - the duratiblity and some newer features my 4S won't have IS :yes:
......the color(s) just happened to be an additional "perk" to have a choice of:)

Excellent point and example Pink! I didn't even think about AppleCare
Thank you jm! :)

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
The 5C _is_ an improvement on the 5.

Not just in battery and in Facetime camera, but also in LTE bands and therefore in travel-worthiness.

Also, heck, people design their own lives. The phones are interesting-looking.

Me, I want a gold 5s. But I certainly can see why someone may want a yellow 5c, or some such thing...

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Totally short sighted way of viewing things.
Maybe
You are going to spend 2400 over the course of your contract. You think spending 100 bucks less at purchase makes big difference?
Yes, it can, depending on a person's situation.

So does the opinions of everyone else.

Have you ever sacrificed something you needed to get something you wanted? Can you truly justify "needing" the iPhone 5S in lieu of the iPhone 5C or even the iPhone 5? By the way, every hardship or disciplined money management does not revolve around food.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox