I've been hearing about the iPhone 5c forever. Once iMore opened a forum I took that as confirmation that it is definitely a possibility. So now my question is would Apple really call it the iPhone 5c? I know the C could stand for colorful because of all the rumored colors. However I think the majority of people will associate the C with cheap since it is the less expensive model. There lies the problem for me because Apple doesn't want anyone to associate any of their devices as cheap or low quality. The device may have high quality and so once someone uses it they will know that it is not cheap just lower priced. However as they say first impressions last forever so once people start thinking of it as the iPhone 5 Cheap it will always stay. So the question is would Apple really give it that name? They obviously have Ad companies and studies about the effects of the name so what do you guys think?

Personally I don't think they will, I think it will just be iPhone like the iPad 3 was just the new iPad. Then again that comes with it's own problems since you'd then have iPhone and iPhone 5s.
    08-25-2013 07:39 AM
    And the other rumor is that it is C for China and will never be sold in the US.

But I kinda agree that Apple doesn't want their name associated with cheap even if it's still high quality.
    08-25-2013 09:25 AM
    And the other rumor is that it is C for China and will never be sold in the US.

But I kinda agree that Apple doesn't want their name associated with cheap even if it's still high quality.
    I saw that and it does make sense. I kinda thought that it would be the best move to make is to have them in the emerging markets where price is more of a consideration. However I'm not sure if that would fly especially if they announce it at the iPhone even in Sept. If they announce it in the US and then say it's never coming to North America I see a lot of backlash and boos. So I doubt they would take that chance at the keynote? I guess this is what makes Apple fun Unless they release it as the iPhone 5s too but for a different market, the emerging market. But then the flagship 5s would also be sold in that market too so what would that be called?
    08-25-2013 02:43 PM
    I don't think Apple wants to be associated with cheap. I'd look for it to be called something else.
    08-25-2013 03:49 PM
    I think 5s and 5c will be the names. The iPhone 5 will stay as the mid level, iPhone 5s is the new top tier, and the 5c is the budget device in lots of colors.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5
    08-25-2013 04:28 PM
    I am interested to see how this lower grade iPhone is gonna look like
    08-25-2013 04:40 PM
    I think the less expensive iPhone is going to look and feel premium still, it just won't be made out of premium materials. Kinda like the Samsung devices. I too will be interested to see what they call it though. I believe it will sell well because it is supposed to come out in multiple colors. That would appeal to the younger generation and women. Also, with the price being significantly less and being offered on prepaid carriers, Apple should make a killing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ipheuria likes this.
    08-25-2013 09:17 PM
    I wonder what is going to be called next year. iPhone 6c. U get what I am saying.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    Ipheuria likes this.
    08-25-2013 11:26 PM
    I think it's a strong possibility given the trend of names given for the iPhones so far.
    08-26-2013 05:17 AM
    I would still like them to call it iPhone Mini, just to align it with the iPad line. Apple always strives for simplicity, that includes the product lines. Having an iPad, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone S and iPhone C sounds too complex for the average customer, let alone the iPod variations. Also I guess one could make a good argument as to why call it 'Mini', even if it's the same physical size. They could simply say the storage, spechs blabla are smaller. Therefore mini.
    09-03-2013 09:44 AM
    I would still like them to call it iPhone Mini, just to align it with the iPad line. Apple always strives for simplicity, that includes the product lines. Having an iPad, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone S and iPhone C sounds too complex for the average customer, let alone the iPod variations. Also I guess one could make a good argument as to why call it 'Mini', even if it's the same physical size. They could simply say the storage, spechs blabla are smaller. Therefore mini.

Wouldn't make sense to call it the iPhone mini since they are the same size. iPad mini is smaller in size hench the term ipad "mini". "C" could stand for colors since it will be released in different colors. That makes sense
    09-03-2013 10:26 AM
    well, you could fudge a reason though, just come up with something like 'Mini refers to the price compared to the 5S.' or as said before 'Mini because it features smaller storage options'. I just reckon it wouldn't be totally dumb to do it, cos a) it gives continuity to the product lines and b) provided they end up releasing a bigger phone next year, they could just stick with the terms. The 'Mini' would stay in the market as the one with the current screen size, the rumoured 'maxi' would become the new normal.
    09-05-2013 01:32 AM
    well I guess we now know the answer iPhone 5c! Now that the iPhone 5 disappears does that mean the end of full number models? Otherwise next year there will be iPhone 6 and 6c then iPhone 6s and iPhone 7c? I think they are either going to always be s and c models or the c model will be every other year with the s model. It's the way it makes sense.

posted on an iPhone 5 running iOS 7
    09-10-2013 02:59 PM
    Nailed it!!! 😜
    Will Apple actually call it iPhone 5c?-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1378840065.508109.jpg
    Ipheuria likes this.
    09-10-2013 03:07 PM
    Ummmm Yup!

I've been hearing about the iPhone 5c forever. Once iMore opened a forum I took that as confirmation that it is definitely a possibility. So now my question is would Apple really call it the iPhone 5c? I know the C could stand for colorful because of all the rumored colors. However I think the majority of people will associate the C with cheap since it is the less expensive model. There lies the problem for me because Apple doesn't want anyone to associate any of their devices as cheap or low quality. The device may have high quality and so once someone uses it they will know that it is not cheap just lower priced. However as they say first impressions last forever so once people start thinking of it as the iPhone 5 Cheap it will always stay. So the question is would Apple really give it that name? They obviously have Ad companies and studies about the effects of the name so what do you guys think?

Personally I don't think they will, I think it will just be iPhone like the iPad 3 was just the new iPad. Then again that comes with it's own problems since you'd then have iPhone and iPhone 5s.
    09-10-2013 03:12 PM
    5c seems abit naff what happens next year?
    09-10-2013 03:22 PM
    C could be standing for costly
    09-13-2013 08:07 AM