Apple has always been on the critical design side of devices... Making sure every corner is turned and edge is smooth.

But is this the new Tech - Plastic?

Will it change the outlook of future devices and designs later on?

Some will be opening invited to get one as it will be apparently cheaper as a lower cost build.. But some may stay far, far away and go for what is more traditional

What are you thoughts? Will you get one if the rumors are likely true?
    08-16-2013 10:42 AM
    I like the feel of the glass and metal, so probably not.
    Fausty82 likes this.
    08-16-2013 10:55 AM
    I'm one of the people who plan to stick to the Traditional iPhone build quality, but that's Just Me, D. I don't have a problem with anyone buying the new 5C or the assortment of colors it will allegedly come in. One thing is for certain, it will still be a high end device and will still be shipped with iOS 7. I'm sure high school and college aged students will be attracted to the 5C, and so will older consumers. It's a win-win for Apple, regardless...
    08-16-2013 10:58 AM
    True that. I just personally have never even considered anything but a black iPhone or iPad (w/o case) so the colors don't sound appealing. We'll see when Apple announces it though. Maybe it will be something that wows me and I change my mind.
    John Yester likes this.
    08-16-2013 11:04 AM
    I can see all the colors being very attractive to the tennie boppers and young college kids. As soon as they see Kim Kardashian or Lil' Wayne with one, its over. I'll stick to glass, the more mature choice 😁
    DaPhoneking and John Yester like this.
    08-16-2013 11:25 AM
    I wouldn't mind a colored 5C to carry around work but do prefer the metal and glass one more. Either one will suffice me until the iPhone 6 comes out lol.

Sent from the shadows of darkness using Tapatalk
    John Yester likes this.
    08-16-2013 12:42 PM
    I like the feel of the glass and metal, so probably not.
    I totally agree. I still have an old 3GS laying around here, and it just feels cheap after the metal and glass of the iPhone 4 and later... I dont see myself going back to a plastic iPhone for any reason...
    John Yester likes this.
    08-16-2013 12:45 PM
    I don't think plastic will win out over quality design components. At the end of the day, it's not what it's made of, but how it feels.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums app
    John Yester likes this.
    08-16-2013 12:47 PM
    I don't really care about the plastic vs metal thing. In all honesty, the plastic phone will probably feel better in hand. It's just that the 5C isn't likely to have the fastest chip or latest tech in it so that right there is the deal breaker for me. For those that don't care about specs (and that's probably the majority), this will have appeal because of the price & colors.
    John Yester likes this.
    08-16-2013 12:58 PM
    Galaxy S4, Motorola, HTC-- All of these are made of plastic, so they must be low-quality.

iPhone 5c-- Oh yeah, this plastic build is nice!

I am an i5 user, but these are comments that will be coming. Get ready........
    John Yester likes this.
    08-16-2013 03:06 PM
    Galaxy S4, Motorola, HTC-- All of these are made of plastic, so they must be low-quality.

iPhone 5c-- Oh yeah, this plastic build is nice!

I am an i5 user, but these are comments that will be coming. Get ready........
    They all feel cheap. The iPhone 5c will, too. But you’re right, the comments will fly and flame wars will try to start... we have to be above all of that.
    Just_Me_D and John Yester like this.
    08-16-2013 03:12 PM
    I refuse to jump the gun with being judgmental yet, but if Apple starts moving to mainstream design with cheap plastic BS, buying momentum from my wallet will certainly take a pause before jumping on a newly released Apple product. One can only hope that this potential "change" is a very limited choice, and will really only effect the bottom of the product range (like the iPod Shuffle did).
    08-16-2013 03:36 PM
    It's like MacBook vs MacBook Pro - plastic for the value side, glass/metal for the premium side
    08-18-2013 12:22 PM
    I think choice and options,will always be a good thing. But for now I love the way my iPhone 5 is built, it feels great and works and works great, expensive, yes but also dependable so it's worth it to me. But that also doesn't mean that plastic phones don't have there worth.
    John Yester likes this.
    08-19-2013 03:20 AM
    I refuse to jump the gun with being judgmental yet, but if Apple starts moving to mainstream design with cheap plastic BS, buying momentum from my wallet will certainly take a pause before jumping on a newly released Apple product. One can only hope that this potential "change" is a very limited choice, and will really only effect the bottom of the product range (like the iPod Shuffle did).
    It's not like Apple is going to stop making premium versions. The real concern to me is the fact that the C version of the iphone is likely to take up the majority of iphone sales. This is the big difference. Apps, ecosystem, and all that will have to be optimized for that hardware which could mean slower movement in the software area.

A lot of new apps or updates this year were followed by "now optimized for iphone 5." There's many an app that's gotten a bad review because they say it works poorly on their ipod touch or older device.

It'll be interesting to see what happens and what the specs for the 5C are like.
    John Yester and dobermansrule like this.
    08-19-2013 08:48 AM
    If my budget required a cheaper phone and the iPhone was still the only phone to meet my needs, I wouldn't be opposed to getting the 5C.
    08-19-2013 09:08 AM
    I guess one way to look at it. It will run the same OS, the same size display, etc.... Also may run just as good as "High end" Model.

Which is solid and not getting fragmented at all.

08-19-2013 09:10 AM
    I guess one way to look at it. It will run the same OS, the same size display, etc.... Also may run just as good as "High end" Model.

Which is solid and not getting fragmented at all.

I think a phone like the 5C is going to be the perfect starter phone for kids whose parents require that they have one and also the perfect phone for the older generation who wants simplicity, but doesn't want to spend a whole lot to get it. I hear older patients and visitors in the ER where I work say that they like their iPhone but not the price that they paid for it. I guarantee you, if offered a choice, these people would choose a "good quality" plastic iPhone, over one that is glass and metal with a higher price tag attached to it.... IMHO, having owed a iPhone for a number of years and seeing the high quality workmanship that went into each and every one of them, I doubt very highly that Apple will put any less into the 5C plastic and all.
    08-19-2013 09:23 AM
    If my budget required a cheaper phone and the iPhone was still the only phone to meet my needs, I wouldn't be opposed to getting the 5C.
    You nailed it. Targeting a whole new demographic (for Apple, anyway).
    08-19-2013 10:08 AM
    I agree. I don't care about metal or plastic.depending on features, I might buy an iPhone 5c. It would also depend on if I could get out of my current contract which I have a year to go on. I would love to be able to go on a month to month plan if the phones weren't so expensive to buy. An iPhone 5c just might be the ticket.
    08-19-2013 02:52 PM