Cannot Download/Install Apps

gw1500se

Aug 11, 2019
Visit site
I've recently obtained an iPhone 5 so this question may be one of ignorance. I am trying to install apps but am not having much success. I do not have good cell service where I am located but I am connected to my home wifi. I am able to launch the app store and search for the app I want. I believe that implies the wifi connection is working and being used. I touch the "get" button and it changes to "install". I touch install and there is a very brief display of the circle icon (almost can't see it, it is so brief) then the "get" button reappears. That's it. This happens with all the apps I've tried. Am I doing something wrong or is there some setting somewhere that is wrong? TIA.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to iMore.

Unfortunately, your phone is older. Depending on what version of iOS you have currently running on your phone, it may no longer be compatible with current apps in the App Store. You can check to see if there are any software updates available by going to settings>general>software update. If there is an update available, then update your phone. The most current version of iOS available for the iPhone 5 is iOS 10.3.4. This may help but but it may still be too outdated for many of the Apps in the App Store.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
In the AppStore, every app tells you what version of iOS is supported. Click to see that before downloading/installing.
To do this, tap on any app you wish to install, scroll down and check for Compatibility. If it says Works on this iPhone, you’re good.
But first restart your device. That may solve installing issues.

gw1500se

Aug 11, 2019
Visit site
I have an apple ID. The version info is the key. I'm running IOS 10 and the app needs 11 or better. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:

gw1500se

Aug 11, 2019
Visit site
You quoted me too soon. I hit the post before checking everything. Sorry.

As an aside is there a way to filter the app store so it will not show apps requiring 11 or greater?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
You quoted me too soon. I hit the post before checking everything. Sorry.

As an aside is there a way to filter the app store so it will not show apps requiring 11 or greater?

No, there is not. I never had to deal with an older iOS, so I’m not sure what you can do.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2