As crazy as it sounds, it is actually quite possible to use an iPhone 5 in 2019.

I had to move from an iPhone SE 2018 (128GB) to my spare iPhone 5 2012 (16GB) recently, as the SE found its way to a family friend who needed a replacement phone to replace an Android phone that just died.

Apart from the not-so-good battery life on the 5 (I get about 4 hours if mobile data is switched on and when apps which use the internet are frequently accessed), it's actually quite 'liveable'.

It is slow, no doubt, and I have to exercise patience when performing functions such as unlocking the phone, switching between apps, composing text in emails, web-browsing etc. But still pretty much ok.

Given that my 5 has 16GB of storage, I also have to be prudent in managing my device storage.

3rd party apps I use regularly on the 5:

Microsoft OneNote
    Simplenote
    Documents by Readle
    Spark email client
    Slack
    WhatsApp Messenger
    Facebook Messenger
    Google Hangouts
    WeChat
    Google Photos
    Wikipedia
    Pleco Chinese dictionary
    August Home for smart locks
    Flickr
    YouTube
    Waze for navigation
    Dropbox
    Google Drive
    Google Maps
    Bible app
    Vox music app

In short, I'm amazed how usable a 2012 iPhone 5 is.

I have to charge the battery twice during the day and also overnight, but that's also due to the age and condition of the battery.

Otherwise, I'm just astounded.
    Hope you enjoyed reading this!

Mark
    Singapore
    calebt likes this.
    02-23-2019 04:53 AM
    Thanks for sharing your experience. Apple products are no doubt built well and can last for a number of years. The battery life would be a deal breaker for me though.
    02-23-2019 08:49 AM
    As crazy as it sounds, it is actually quite possible to use an iPhone 5 in 2019.

I had to move from an iPhone SE 2018 (128GB) to my spare iPhone 5 2012 (16GB) recently, as the SE found its way to a family friend who needed a replacement phone to replace an Android phone that just died.

Apart from the not-so-good battery life on the 5 (I get about 4 hours if mobile data is switched on and when apps which use the internet are frequently accessed), it's actually quite 'liveable'.

It is slow, no doubt, and I have to exercise patience when performing functions such as unlocking the phone, switching between apps, composing text in emails, web-browsing etc. But still pretty much ok.

Given that my 5 has 16GB of storage, I also have to be prudent in managing my device storage.

3rd party apps I use regularly on the 5:

Microsoft OneNote
    Simplenote
    Documents by Readle
    Spark email client
    Slack
    WhatsApp Messenger
    Facebook Messenger
    Google Hangouts
    WeChat
    Google Photos
    Wikipedia
    Pleco Chinese dictionary
    August Home for smart locks
    Flickr
    YouTube
    Waze for navigation
    Dropbox
    Google Drive
    Google Maps
    Bible app
    Vox music app

In short, I'm amazed how usable a 2012 iPhone 5 is.

I have to charge the battery twice during the day and also overnight, but that's also due to the age and condition of the battery.

Otherwise, I'm just astounded.
    Hope you enjoyed reading this!

Mark
    Singapore
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and I think you were exceptionally generous in giving up the SE!
    02-23-2019 09:33 AM

Why didn’t you give the “family friend” the 2012 iPhone 5 instead of the newer iPhone SE?
    kataran likes this.
    02-23-2019 10:35 AM
    Why didn’t you give the “family friend” the 2012 iPhone 5 instead of the newer iPhone SE?
    Same thing I was wondering

Maybe he wanted to give his friend a good first impression of the Apple ecosystem
    02-23-2019 11:11 PM
    Same thing I was wondering

Maybe he wanted to give his friend a good first impression of the Apple ecosystem
    It was given to my wife, actually. The faster CPU and better battery life of the SE would suit her best. Haha.

Thanks for the questions!
    02-24-2019 03:00 AM