Mini-review: using an iPhone 5 in 2019

Aug 26, 2018
Visit site
As crazy as it sounds, it is actually quite possible to use an iPhone 5 in 2019.

I had to move from an iPhone SE 2018 (128GB) to my spare iPhone 5 2012 (16GB) recently, as the SE found its way to a family friend who needed a replacement phone to replace an Android phone that just died.

Apart from the not-so-good battery life on the 5 (I get about 4 hours if mobile data is switched on and when apps which use the internet are frequently accessed), it's actually quite 'liveable'.

It is slow, no doubt, and I have to exercise patience when performing functions such as unlocking the phone, switching between apps, composing text in emails, web-browsing etc. But still pretty much ok.

Given that my 5 has 16GB of storage, I also have to be prudent in managing my device storage.

3rd party apps I use regularly on the 5:

Microsoft OneNote
Simplenote
Documents by Readle
Spark email client
Slack
WhatsApp Messenger
Facebook Messenger
Google Hangouts
WeChat
Google Photos
Wikipedia
Pleco Chinese dictionary
August Home for smart locks
Flickr
YouTube
Waze for navigation
Dropbox
Google Drive
Google Maps
Bible app
Vox music app

In short, I'm amazed how usable a 2012 iPhone 5 is.

I have to charge the battery twice during the day and also overnight, but that's also due to the age and condition of the battery.

Otherwise, I'm just astounded.
Hope you enjoyed reading this!

Mark
Singapore

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your experience. Apple products are no doubt built well and can last for a number of years. The battery life would be a deal breaker for me though.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
As crazy as it sounds, it is actually quite possible to use an iPhone 5 in 2019.

I had to move from an iPhone SE 2018 (128GB) to my spare iPhone 5 2012 (16GB) recently, as the SE found its way to a family friend who needed a replacement phone to replace an Android phone that just died.

Apart from the not-so-good battery life on the 5 (I get about 4 hours if mobile data is switched on and when apps which use the internet are frequently accessed), it's actually quite 'liveable'.

It is slow, no doubt, and I have to exercise patience when performing functions such as unlocking the phone, switching between apps, composing text in emails, web-browsing etc. But still pretty much ok.

Given that my 5 has 16GB of storage, I also have to be prudent in managing my device storage.

3rd party apps I use regularly on the 5:

Microsoft OneNote
Simplenote
Documents by Readle
Spark email client
Slack
WhatsApp Messenger
Facebook Messenger
Google Hangouts
WeChat
Google Photos
Wikipedia
Pleco Chinese dictionary
August Home for smart locks
Flickr
YouTube
Waze for navigation
Dropbox
Google Drive
Google Maps
Bible app
Vox music app

In short, I'm amazed how usable a 2012 iPhone 5 is.

I have to charge the battery twice during the day and also overnight, but that's also due to the age and condition of the battery.

Otherwise, I'm just astounded.
Hope you enjoyed reading this!

Mark
Singapore

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and I think you were exceptionally generous in giving up the SE!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Why didn’t you give the “family friend” the 2012 iPhone 5 instead of the newer iPhone SE?