iPhone 5 vibrates but does not ring when receiving call

Simon Kravis

Jul 24, 2018
Visit site
I have an iPhone 5 running iOS 10. When I receive a call, the phone vibrates but does not ring.

1) Do Not Disturb is off
2) Mute switch is off - phone will play internet radio OK
3) When I select Sounds-> Ringtone the phone plays the tone OK. Changing the ringtone does not make the tone play when a call is received.
4) Volume control is
5) Rebooting does not help
6) Keyboard click sounds to not occur when selected.

Is it possible the Mute switch (on side) is broken so that mute is permanently on?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
It’s possible that the mute switch is broken as it’s a physical switch. Are you getting a notification on your screen when you flip the switch (see screenshot below)?
You may want to reset your settings to resolve your issue. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. If that doesn’t work then restoring your device may be in order to weed out a software issue.
dc29f34f83d1069148b5000fa6c4ffb1.png

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
It’s possible that the mute switch is broken as it’s a physical switch. Are you getting a notification on your screen when you flip the switch (see screenshot below)?
You may want to reset your settings to resolve your issue. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. If that doesn’t work then restoring your device may be in order to weed out a software issue.
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180724/dc29f34f83d1069148b5000fa6c4ffb1.png

There are several options in there and the one Rob suggested will not delete your data, but there is one in there that does, so be careful which one. It will ask you to confirm anyway, but worth pointing out as that sometimes gets people confused when they go in settings and see an option that includes deleting data.

Simon Kravis

Jul 24, 2018
Visit site
Have reset Settings as suggested. The bell icon still does not appear when I toggle the mute switch - does that indicate a mechanical problem with the switch?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Have reset Settings as suggested. The bell icon still does not appear when I toggle the mute switch - does that indicate a mechanical problem with the switch?

It could. Next step would be to restore and set your iPhone up as a new device. Test the switch at that point. If it still doesn’t work then it’s likely a hardware issue.

Simon Kravis

Jul 24, 2018
Visit site
It could. Next step would be to restore and set your iPhone up as a new device. Test the switch at that point. If it still doesn’t work then it’s likely a hardware issue.
Does the fact that the phone will play radio & voice memos OK point to a software problem? I can't get any sound for keyclicks or sending mail either. If I set up as new device, can I restore from a backup and keep all my data, apps etc?

Simon Kravis

Jul 24, 2018
Visit site
The Ringer icon appears when I change the volume control setting using the buttons on side of the iPhone and the setting bar changes when i increase or decrease the volume. Voice memos and voicemail messages play OK - it's only the ring tone which does not. Enabling and disabling mute via Settings->Accessibility-> Assistive Touch does not affect the phone ringer sound selected (which plays when it is selected) - it never sounds when a call comes in

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2