My iPhone 5 thinks headphones are plugged in when they are not and won't play sound. What can I do?

I

iMore Question

iPhone 5 thinks headphones are plugged in when they are not and won't play sound. What can I do?

When I try to change the volume on my phone it says "headphones" instead of "ringer" thinking there are headphones plugged in when there are not. I can hear my phone ring but cannot speak into the phone unless I plug in headphones or put on speakerphone. Also can't listen to music or videos etc unless headphones are plugged in. I've tried restoring it, using a q-tip to clean the headphone port and sticking headphones in and out of port several times and none of it works. Help!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: iPhone 5 thinks headphones are plugged in when they are not and won't play sound

Is your iPhone connecting or is connected to a Bluetooth headset when this happens?

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: iPhone 5 thinks headphones are plugged in when they are not and won't play sound. What can I do?

Give this a try:

1) Open the Voice Memos app

2) Record a message--unless you already have one

3) Hit play

4) Press the speaker icon in the upper-right corner

See if you can adjust the speaker volume when playing the recording.

amanda2015

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Re: iPhone 5 thinks headphones are plugged in when they are not and won't play sound. What can I do?

I'm the one that originally wrote this msg and
1) it is not connected to Bluetooth headset. It has Bluetooth on but I have turned it off and rebooted with no luck
2) I tried the voice memo and it does let me listen to the voice memo and the volume changes to "volume" when I press the speaker but when I return to playing music or hearing sounds via text, etc. it the volume buttons revert to "headphones"

I took it to the Apple Store and there isn't any noticeable water damage either. Any other potential tips other than getting a new phone? Everything else works fine except this!

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

I'm the one that originally wrote this msg and
1) it is not connected to Bluetooth headset. It has Bluetooth on but I have turned it off and rebooted with no luck
2) I tried the voice memo and it does let me listen to the voice memo and the volume changes to "volume" when I press the speaker but when I return to playing music or hearing sounds via text, etc. it the volume buttons revert to "headphones"

I took it to the Apple Store and there isn't any noticeable water damage either. Any other potential tips other than getting a new phone? Everything else works fine except this!

The Apple store didn't have any other advice?

amanda2015

May 25, 2015
Visit site

They just reset my settings and when that didn't work they told me to replace the whole phone if I want to fix it :(

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

They just reset my settings and when that didn't work they told me to replace the whole phone if I want to fix it :(

It might be a hardware issue. In that case, you might have to replace or fix the device.

Edward_Dawson

Mar 24, 2015
Visit site

It must be hardware problem just replace it.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site

Have you tried blowing out the headphone jack with air? Happens when lint gets in the port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amanda2015

May 25, 2015
Visit site

The port looked clean and I tried the q-tip method and a variety of others that didn't work. Apple said to replace the whole phone because they don't do just headphone jack replacements but I ended up taking it to an Asian guy who replaced it for $45! Thanks for the help everyone

quinn7284737

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys I have a 6s and the same thing happened Apple won't do anything if you tell them but by cutting off the ends of a cutip and using that in the head phone jack will fix it the odds are you got water in the jack

Nathan Paddock

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys I have a 6s and the same thing happened Apple won't do anything if you tell them but by cutting off the ends of a cutip and using that in the head phone jack will fix it the odds are you got water in the jack

This worked for me, but it took a few tries and then blowing out the port with an air can to get the lint and cotton strands out. Turn off the device. Cut most of the head off the q-tip, leaving some cotton and moisten it with isopropyl alcohol. Twist in and all around, then place the air can straw inside the port off to one side to leave room for debris to come out while you give it a few puffs. Give it about 5 minutes before turning it on. I had to do this twice, and the second time I just wrapped a little of the moist cotton around a toothpick, then it worked properly again.

marysville49

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site

When I try to change the volume on my phone it says "headphones" instead of "ringer" thinking there are headphones plugged in when there are not. I can hear my phone ring but cannot speak into the phone unless I plug in headphones or put on speakerphone. Also can't listen to music or videos etc unless headphones are plugged in. I've tried restoring it, using a q-tip to clean the headphone port and sticking headphones in and out of port several times and none of it works. Help!

I had the same problem, tried powering down, plugging and unplugging headphones and cleaning jack with a bic pen cartridge, all unsuccessful. In the end I used a vacuum cleaner, blocked off as much of the hose end as I could with my hand (for maximum suction) and passed the headphone jack over the opening a few times for about 30 seconds, it worked! I have volume back

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I had the same problem, tried powering down, plugging and unplugging headphones and cleaning jack with a bic pen cartridge, all unsuccessful. In the end I used a vacuum cleaner, blocked off as much of the hose end as I could with my hand (for maximum suction) and passed the headphone jack over the opening a few times for about 30 seconds, it worked! I have volume back

Glad you got it fixed! Lint is almost always the culprit with headphone jack problems.