iPhone 5 randomly shut off and won't turn back on

kchlb

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Two days ago I was using my iPhone 5, the battery was at about 50-60% ... I looked up for 2 seconds and I looked back down at my phone and it was off. I thought the battery had died or something but no .. it couldn't have. I tried to turn it back on and it wouldn't respond. I even tried doing the hard reset (holding power + home button together) and nothing. Then my friend told me this happened to him before and he just went home and plugged his phone in and it worked.

So I went home later that day and plugged it in .. nothing. I left it for about 1 hour and no response at all. It has just completely died.

I plugged it into iTunes the next day and as soon as I plug it in, iTunes tells me that the phone needs to be restored. I go through the prompts and eventually get the message "iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (4005)"

The screen just stays black at all times. It's like completely dead and it happened out of nowhere. No I did not get any water on it or have any water damage before anyone suggests this.. Also the phone is out of warranty, it's maybe about 2 years old.

It was one of the iPhone 5 models eligible for a faulty battery replacement, and I had gotten that done maybe about 1 month ago. I don't know if this is correlated to this happening or not but it might be a faulty battery?

I don't even care if I lose all of the data in the phone at this point. I just want the phone to turn back on. Thanks for any input.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
1. Press and hold both the Power and Home button until you see the Apple logo. Afterwards, release the buttons and see if it'll boot to the home screen. If not, it may go into recovery mode and display an iTunes logo and an icon of a USB cord,
2. If iTunes detects the device in recovery mode, restore it via iTunes. Make sure the computer is connected to the internet.
3. If the restore fail, try again. If it fails a second time, download the .ipsw file for your specific device via the following link:
iClarified - iPhone - Where To Download iPhone Firmware Files From
4. Put the device in DFU mode, and then direct iTunes to install the .ipsw file you downloaded.

kchlb

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I followed the steps found here: Error 4005 fix for Windows 7 (this rule of not being able to post links until you have 10 posts is really irritating and asinine)

it actually brought my phone to life .. sort of .. I now actually see an Apple logo on the iPhone screen (before this it was just a black screen at all times, no matter what) and it has a progress bar under it. Only thing is nothing happens after this. It's just stationary.

My iTunes just says Waiting for iPhone while my iPhone is just stuck with an Apple logo and a loading bar below that doesn't progress.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Give it a little time. Also. Make sure you're connected to the Internet. Are you using an .ipsw file you download or are you trying to restore the traditional method via iTunes? If push comes to shove, try item 3 & 4 in my previous reply.

kchlb

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Give it a little time. Also. Make sure you're connected to the Internet. Are you using an .ipsw file you download or are you trying to restore the traditional method via iTunes? If push comes to shove, try item 3 & 4 in my previous reply.

Hello thanks for the reply.

Yes I did give it time. I left my phone for 45 minutes and nothing happened. It just said "waiting for iPhone"
Now I just tried your method of downloading the .ipsw file and directing iTunes to that file, went through the same process but the phone doesn't even turn on. Just a black screen the entire time while iTunes says "waiting for iPhone"

After using your method I eventually get "The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (4005) ... which is the same as I was getting before

Haseeb Rehman

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Never heard of this issue. Try again with a different PC. If that doesn't help, take it to the local software/hardware repair shop and let them have a look.

keith james

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Apple offers free replacement program for defective iPhone 5 batteries
Chuong H Nguyen | 22 Aug 2014
Apple offers free replacement program for defective iPhone 5 batteries
Apple is now offering a free replacement battery program for select iPhone 5 models that may come with a defective battery. Those units either experience shortened battery life or require more frequent charging, according to Apple. If you think your phone is affected, you should visit the Apple support page in the source link to check your serial number and see if it qualifies for free battery replacement.
According to Apple, only a small percentage of units sold were affected and those models were sold between September 2012 and January 2013. The replacement program begins immediately in the U.S. and China and will commence on August 29, 2014 in other regions.
Customers are advised to backup their phones before entering the repair process, turn off the Find my iPhone feature, and then erase all data.
Repairs can be done at an authorized Apple service provider, Apple retail locations, or through Apple tech support.
If you're more of the DIY type, be sure to check out our guide to replace your own iPhone battery.
Previous to this repair, Apple had also issued a sleep/wake button replacement program for iPhone 5 models.
Source: Apple

NewDawnSoft

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I've had this issue too for a while now. It's eligible for battery replacement but I don't have time to change it (they need to keep it 10 days.. no apple store here, just premium reseller) as I'm using it with my developments.

I've bought it day 1 : do you think that I will still be able to change the battery (and the power button, eligible too) if I wait some more days/weeks/monthes ? I've seen on the Apple replacement program that it was limited to 2 years from the first day the iPhone 5 was sold : the problem is that they started to make this program 15 days / a month before those 2 years end if I remember correctly...

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73