I posted this on the iOS 8 forum however no one responded, so I'm asking it here and hopefully someone knows the answer.

On the day iOS 8 was released I noticed it said download paused on over Wi-Fi without me even wanting to do it. After turning on my Wi-Fi I noticed it was resuming the download even though I never clicked that option. Now I will eventually go from iOS 7.0.4 to 8.0 once everything calms down with it and etc.

My question is this. Before downloading 8.0 I will obviously back everything up, however since I would do that on the phone I need to have the Wi-Fi on to back it up. So will the 8.0 keep downloading by itself while the phone is backing up, even if I never click resume download?
    09-19-2014 05:24 PM
    A good question. I did the OTA update for my 5S as the servers were being hammered and iOS 8 hadn't yet appeared in iTunes. Once i'd downloaded it, I then had to authorise it to be installed by clicking another button, so i'm guessing that the download and install are completely different functions that need to be authorised separately.

If that's the case I would guess that even if it keeps downloading, you can choose to not install it at this time and could back up before installing. Just a wild leap of logic though as i've not experienced that before. However, you may wish to go to Settings > ITunes and App Store > Updates and slide that auto-update function off. I know it works for apps and may work for updates. Hopefully someone else can confirm.
    09-19-2014 05:42 PM
    Update:

Today when I turned on my iPhone 5 a message came up saying how iOS 8.0 is available for download. After seeing that I then clicked on the settings and where the download is I noticed it had reset, so it's no longer paused and when I turn on my Wi-Fi it doesn't start up again by itself. So that's a relief off my mind

Although I guess the reason for this was the problems others were having with 8.0.1. and would I be right in assuming that?
    09-24-2014 03:58 PM