Not sure if this is a hardware issue or a software issue, so I wasn't sure whether to put this in the iOS8 section or here... but regardless since last night/this morning my phone always thinks I have headphones in (meaning the speakers produce no sound, so I can't make calls, listen to music, etc without actually putting in headphones). I'm running iOS beta 5. I have tried rebooting the device (holding down the power and home buttons), I've tried shutting the phone off and turning it on again and also putting in headphones and taking them out... no luck.

Any advice guys?? Need to upgrade to the 6 soon.....
    08-29-2014 02:47 PM
    Not sure if this is a hardware issue or a software issue, so I wasn't sure whether to put this in the iOS8 section or here... but regardless since last night/this morning my phone always thinks I have headphones in (meaning the speakers produce no sound, so I can't make calls, listen to music, etc without actually putting in headphones). I'm running iOS beta 5. I have tried rebooting the device (holding down the power and home buttons), I've tried shutting the phone off and turning it on again and also putting in headphones and taking them out... no luck.

Any advice guys?? Need to upgrade to the 6 soon.....
    A visit to Apple? It’s still gotta be under warranty.
    SaMaster14 likes this.
    08-29-2014 03:13 PM
    It seems you tried most of the suggestions I would offer the only think you haven't tried is using a Q-tip with some alcohol and clean out the head phone jack
    SaMaster14 likes this.
    08-29-2014 03:15 PM
    Cases sometimes wreak havoc with sounds. I kept this in my notes. Don't recall where I found it.
    Remove any case or enclosure the iPhone may be in
    Use compressed air (or your mouth) to blow directly into the headphone jack, this may help to dislodge dust or pocket lint stuck in the port
    Get a Q-Tip or toothpick and swab around inside the port to dislodge any remaining particles

Connect the set of headphones, make sure there is a complete connection and be sure that audio transmits through them, then firmly pull out the headphones audio should work as usual
    Connect & disconnect the headphones a few more times if nothing happens the first time. It seems that plugging/Unplugging the headset several times (8) seems to work.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5
    kataran and SaMaster14 like this.
    08-29-2014 03:40 PM
    I experienced this a few times, it's a tiny bit of moisture in the headphone jack. Is always dried out in 24-48 hours for me and worked fine after. In the meantime, just stick to using the headphones

Posted via iMore App
    SaMaster14 likes this.
    08-29-2014 04:07 PM
    I don't use cases on my phone, I just have a skin (but nothing covering the bottom).

It seems to have fixed itself! Must have just been that moisture. Lets hope it stays ok!

Thanks for the replies guys
    Paul Ellis1 likes this.
    08-29-2014 08:18 PM