I have been reading about the replacement program for iPhone 5's. Our family (daughter) has a phone that she says has the symptoms, and her serial number matches. I noticed on the web site they say make sure you have a good backup, turn off Find MyPhone, and clear the phone - do they replace the phone or just the battery? I don't think she want them to replace to phone.

The phone my still be under Apple Care, can she just pay for a battery replacement?

Also - they do a diagnostic check of the battery I think, correct?

thanks for your help!
    08-26-2014 11:04 AM
    Battery

In addition to the new Battery Replacement Program, Apple also has a replacement program for iPhone 5 units that have a faulty sleep/wake button, which also provides repairs at no cost. Some iPhone 5s units have also experienced faulty battery life but Apple opted to reach out individually to affected users rather than implementing a replacement program for those devices.
    donawalt likes this.
    08-26-2014 11:05 AM
    So they just replace the battery - thanks! I know that the phone has to be in good shape or you have to pay for that repair (cracked screen etc.). SHe just wants to have the battery replace nothing else. Thanks John for your quick reply!
    08-26-2014 11:10 AM
    I have been reading about the replacement program for iPhone 5's. Our family (daughter) has a phone that she says has the symptoms, and her serial number matches. I noticed on the web site they say make sure you have a good backup, turn off Find MyPhone, and clear the phone - do they replace the phone or just the battery? I don't think she want them to replace to phone.

The phone my still be under Apple Care, can she just pay for a battery replacement?

Also - they do a diagnostic check of the battery I think, correct?

thanks for your help!
    One other thing you should do when selling or trading your iPhone, is to turn off iMessage.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5
    08-26-2014 11:12 AM
    So they just replace the battery - thanks! I know that the phone has to be in good shape or you have to pay for that repair (cracked screen etc.). SHe just wants to have the battery replace nothing else. Thanks John for your quick reply!
    My phone's battery is one of the affected units so I made an appointment with the genius bar. They called before the appointment to tell me they had no batteries in stock and did some diagnostics over the phone. They are ordering a battery will replace it in the store.
    08-29-2014 03:17 AM
    To close the loop: My daughter went in for her appointment today, and they said they had no batteries - they had to order one, and it would be in no later than 5 business days. They said she should schedule another Genius Bar in the next 7 business days thereafter. That was disappointing enough, but they said when she comes back she MUST erase the phone completely before they replace the battery, and she must do it before she gets to the store. Why is this necessary, and so onerous to just get a new battery? I can't say she has a very good opinion of the Genius Bar right now. Can she force them to swap it without erasing all her data, she just doesn't want to go thru all the re-logins, apparently (I have seen this too) some app passwords re not backed up to the cloud so for a couple of weeks you are looking up old passwords etc. to get apps to run..
    08-31-2014 07:54 PM
    No idea about that one. My daughter just had her battery replaced with no issues.

On a side note if she can back it up to iTunes and encrypt the data it will save all the passwords.
    fanjelz likes this.
    08-31-2014 08:19 PM
    It says to in this guide.
    https://ssl.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5
    fanjelz likes this.
    08-31-2014 10:26 PM
    I had mine replaced last week, Backed it up, turned off find my phone and under reset: Erase all content and settings.
    I was told I received the last battery, and it only took 30 minutes.
    09-01-2014 09:50 PM
    I had paid for a new battery in May as I was experiencing shutdowns at 20-40%.
    Called Support today and they have approved a refund cheque!
    Amazed by Apple's customer service.
    zerog46 likes this.
    09-02-2014 08:12 PM
    My friend's iphone was available for both the battery and the power button replacement programs. They just replaced the whole phone
    09-10-2014 02:01 PM
    I had paid for a new battery in May as I was experiencing shutdowns at 20-40%.
    Called Support today and they have approved a refund cheque!
    Amazed by Apple's customer service.
    We need to do that soon. My wife's iphone 5 (now my mother in laws iphone 5) had to have a new battery earlier this year at our expense. I would think apple would have a way to check if we got it done at their store right?
    09-10-2014 10:43 PM