Best cell phone plan coverage for seniors traveling U.S.

grizfans

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Anyone have recommendations for the best cell phone plan coverage for retirees who will be traveling throughout the USA? We now live in Kansas and have AT&T and are very pleased with our service here. But we have heard that perhaps Verizon might be a better plan to sign on with if we want better overall coverage across the US. We plan to stick with an iPhone. So we would appreciate other travelers weighing in on the subject. Thanks a bunch!

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I would suggest calling Verizon to see what new plans they may have and if there is a senior discount. I would also go online to look at their coverage map.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Verizon has a Seniors plan. My sister and Hubby have it. It's a bit limited. I don't like it as well as the More Everything Plan. If single, they have a new $60 per month plan with unlimited text and talk with 2 gb data.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

grizfans

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I have done both. I was just hoping that there might be folks out there who have had some "real-world" experiences with the various plan's coverages. Thanks.

grizfans

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I am not so concerned about the various plans as I am about the coverage that the cell phone companies have across the United States. Thanks for the plan info though.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I am not so concerned about the various plans as I am about the coverage that the cell phone companies have across the United States. Thanks for the plan info though.

Verizon has the best coverage nationwide for travel. AT&T is a close 2nd.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

jmorgan54

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
My wife and I also travel extensively, and believe that the RV community overwhelmingly uses Verizon because of its footprint. I am sure that ATT has enlarged the coverage areas that they work best in, but the coverage maps and their comparison are your best bet. Try the various RV forums to see if there is a consensus ... For sure, in the past, there was no comparison. We have been with Verizon for at least ten years, but were old South Western Bell customers while and when they became ATT ... I am sorry, but I do not remember why we made the switch except that we travel and our RV friends all recommended. FYI

Shawn Schrader

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
i broke away from at&t to go to verizon. grant it i had shovel out 300 bucks for my termination but att is just horrible. the customer service agents are as dumb as [Redacted] employees ( no offense [Redacted]) and they wanted 20 bucks more month for the two line contract i wanted get.

Last edited by a moderator:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Anyone have recommendations for the best cell phone plan coverage for retirees who will be traveling throughout the USA? We now live in Kansas and have AT&T and are very pleased with our service here. But we have heard that perhaps Verizon might be a better plan to sign on with if we want better overall coverage across the US. We plan to stick with an iPhone. So we would appreciate other travelers weighing in on the subject. Thanks a bunch!

AT&T is pretty good these days. Last Thanksgiving I drove from Maryland to Missouri and AT&T was solid the whole way. This past summer I drove from Maryland to Michigan and AT&T was solid the whole way as well. When we arrived at our destination in Michigan Verizon had spotty service but with AT&T both HSPA+ and LTE were strong with no issues. First festival I've been too where cell phones worked.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
In my travels using a Verizon iPad and an AT&T iPhone, Verizon seems to have the most consistent signal in most places. But it is far from being a slam dunk difference. In the vast majority of places, I had good signal in both, and in a lot of areas, AT&T was faster and more reliable. My generalization is that Verizon is better on the coasts while AT&T seems to be better in metro areas in the middle of the country. This is a very broad and not anywhere close to always true generalization, but it's the pattern I've seen. Both appear better than Sprint (which I used as a company phone for years, albeit not any time recently) and T-mobile (anecdotal evidence from friends/colleagues) in terms of coverage.