Android user looking to get into ios

Kolten Nay

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey I more, so I'm a galaxy s4 user, and I'm not too happy with my experience with android. I have some friends that have iphones, and the os is more fluid and clean, in my opinion. . Where would be the best place to buy a used iPhone 5?

Posted via iMore App

Last edited:

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Hey I more, so I'm a galaxy s4 user, and I'm not too happy with my experience with android. I do own an iPad and have some friends that have iphones, and the os is more fluid and clean, in my opinion. Basically, I want to sell my s4 because I have it all paid off. Where would be the best place to buy a used iPhone 5?

Posted via iMore App

Hello and welcome! You'll love iOS! Verizon sells certified pre-owned iPhone 5's for $50 on a two year contract. That is what I have. If you don't want a contract, eBay is the best place I know of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

Kolten Nay

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
What's your guys opinion on the build quality of the 5c. My s4 is slimy and creaky, and I don't want that.
Also I'm looking for off contract:)
Posted via iMore App

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
What's your guys opinion on the build quality of the 5c. My s4 is slimy and creaky, and I don't want that.
Posted via iMore App
I use the 5. My wife uses the 5c. I actually like her 5c better. It's been criticized unfairly for the polycarbonate used. But it's a great iPhone.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I use the 5. My wife uses the 5c. I actually like her 5c better. It's been criticized unfairly for the polycarbonate used. But it's a great iPhone.

Do you notice any differences between your phone and hers other than build and feel in hand? I got a 5 late last year as well, in lieu of a 5c and I always wondered if the 5c would have been better or are the differences negligible. I should also mention that I got a 64GB 5 for the price I would have paid for a 16GB 5c.

The 5 runs well on iOS 7 and videos show the same for iOS 8. How long would these phones last..? I need a reason for a new phone other than just wanting a new one. LOL

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Do you notice any differences between your phone and hers other than build and feel in hand? I got a 5 late last year as well, in lieu of a 5c and I always wondered if the 5c would have been better or are the differences negligible. I should also mention that I got a 64GB 5 for the price I would have paid for a 16GB 5c.

The 5 runs well on iOS 7 and videos show the same for iOS 8. How long would these phones last..? I need a reason for a new phone other than just wanting a new one. LOL

The iPhone 5 and 5c are basically the same thing. The only difference is that the 5c has a Polycarb back. They have the same A6 processor, 1 GB of RAM, and the same resolution. :)

Kolten Nay

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
That's another thing. If I do get a 5/5c, would they last me 2 years or so? How long does apple typically support their phones? Androids are dropped after 18 months:(

Posted via iMore App

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
That's another thing. If I do get a 5/5c, would they last me 2 years or so? How long does apple typically support their phones? Androids are dropped after 18 months:(

Posted via iMore App

iOS devices are updated for at least 3 years. The iPhone 4 has been updated for over 4 years. My guess is the iPhone 5/5c will be updated to iOS 10, and no later.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site

Posted via iMore App

The 5 and 5C will, I assume, only get iOS 8, maybe 9, but probably not 10. These phones are both almost 2 years old, so I's say that you will only have about 1 more year of being on the latest software. I would recommend either buying the 5s now or waiting till the 6 comes out because then the 5s will get a $100 price cut. The 5s, if bought within the next 3-4 months, would still be supported for 2 years.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
The 5c has a bigger battery, feels more solid, and has more radio bands. My opinion is get a 5c. ^_^

You should go try out a 5s and 5c in an Apple or carrier store.

Sent from a larger than life device using Tapatalk!

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
The 5 and 5C will, I assume, only get iOS 8, maybe 9, but probably not 10. These phones are both almost 2 years old, so I's say that you will only have about 1 more year of being on the latest software. I would recommend either buying the 5s now or waiting till the 6 comes out because then the 5s will get a $100 price cut. The 5s, if bought within the next 3-4 months, would still be supported for 2 years.

The 5 will for sure be updated to iOS 9. The iPhone 4 got: iOS 5,6, and 7. The 4S got 6,7 and 8 will be its last.

Alex_Hong

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Agree with most. Apple has good track record with OS support, and if the trend continues, the iPhone 5 will get iOS 9. Between the 5 and 5C both has their pros and cons. 5 to me looks more premium with it's metal built, it's slimmer and lighter too. Since the 5 is older, you might be able to find it used at a cheaper price, but might come without warranty though, so do take note. The 5C despite having a polycarbonate body still feels extremely solid. It is slightly thicker and heavier but does feel nicer in hand to me with the curved edges. Not to mention the 5C has a slightly bigger battery, a better front facing camera, as well as better LTE band support (never know when you might be travelling and need those extra bands). The colours are pretty nice and vibrant too. It might costs a little more used since it's newer and might still have warranty on the device, but it'll be a safer buy.

To me you can't go wrong with either. It really depends on your preference, your budget, and what kind of deals you can find out there. All the best in switching over to iOS, and welcome to iMore forums. :)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Other differences are my 5 is 16 gb and with a lot of stuff. Her 5c is 32 gb and not much stuff at all. She has very few apps and maybe 5 songs. She has about 600 photos. That's it. So hers seems to run smoother than my 5 with it's 130 3rd party apps and etc. The 5c does seem faster.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Posted via iMore App

My first iPhone coming from a blackberry in 2011 was the 4S. When it was able to use an upgrade after the 5C & 5S were announced, I choose to get the 5C over the S model. A few reasons factored in on the choice I made.

1) the build quality of the 5C is really outstanding. The polycarbonate backing is very comfortable to hold, and overall the phone is well built. Don't let anyone fool you that the C series of the iPhone is a cheap build. It is faaaaaaar from it !! There are no squeaks or creaks coming from this device that's for sure !!

2) I didn't have interest in the finger print scanner on the S at the time.

3) The few extras that the S has over the C weren't enough for me to spend an extra $100 at the time to get it. ie: the S has the A7 where as the C still has the A6 (same as the 5). In reality to the human eye, you really wouldn't be able to see the speed difference....at least I'm not able to gauge it when I compared the 2 side by side.

4) Price point. The C was $99, compared to the S at $199. I saved the $100 and put it towards Apple Care+ on my C, as I do with all my Apple devices.

5) Last factor, but not extremely important, was color. I fell in love with the coral pink version !!

Good luck with your purchase & enjoy it !!

Sent from my 🎀PINK-alicious iPad Air🎀

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

Posted via iMore App

Support for the iPhone as far as software goes is a few years with Apple. Just to give you an idea, my hubby's first iPhone was the 4 (he's moved to the 5C now). It qualified for every iOS upgrade to the current 7.1.1 now. This will be the first year that it's not qualifying for the iOS 8 upgrade.

Sent from my 🎀PINK-alicious iPad Air🎀

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey I more, so I'm a galaxy s4 user, and I'm not too happy with my experience with android. I do own an iPad and have some friends that have iphones, and the os is more fluid and clean, in my opinion. Basically, I want to sell my s4 because I have it all paid off. Where would be the best place to buy a used iPhone 5?

Posted via iMore App

You might also consider Best Buy. They've got a buy back program.

Or....you might find a great deal right here in the Marketplace. I've bought phones in the Mobile Nations sites before and the experience has been stellar.

http://forums.imore.com/marketplace-buy-sell-trade/

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73