I want to be able to sync my iPhone with iTunes over my home WiFi. The problem is, I can't. When the phone goes to "sleep", the WiFi turns OFF and this breaks the sync. Every time I've tried, unless I actively keep the screen on it goes to sleep and the sync fails.

My phone is set to sleep after 1 minutes, which is what I need for the way I use the phone. When driving I have it mounted on my dash, and the display at "on" brightness blinds me when driving before sunrise or after sunset. Which is pretty much my daily commute from mid-Autumn to mid-Spring, evenings out, etc.

iPhone 5 and iTunes are both fully updated to the current software versions.

And before anyone suggests them, iCloud sync is NOT an option. iTunes Match is NOT an option.
    05-21-2014 07:38 PM
    How long does a sync take of your phone? I just did a sync and purposely put the phone to sleep and it synced just fine. Usually my iDevices go into a different state of Wifi connection after it's been asleep for 10 minutes or longer. If the sync is taking that long, something is wrong. Unless you have a lot of new content to sync each time.
    05-21-2014 07:44 PM
    My iPhone 5 wifi syncs fine - just manually did a sync and back-up from iTunes, and the phone not only is not plugged in, the screen is/was dark... I don't know what to tell you.
    05-21-2014 07:47 PM
    How long does a sync take of your phone? I just did a sync and purposely put the phone to sleep and it synced just fine. Usually my iDevices go into a different state of Wifi connection after it's been asleep for 10 minutes or longer. If the sync is taking that long, something is wrong. Unless you have a lot of new content to sync each time.
    Sometimes the sync can take five minutes via USB if I haven't synced in a week or so. And USB is faster. My last sync put almost 400 tracks onto the phone. Wifi, I kept the device On by running the Garmin USA app (it's set to keep-alive when the map is showing), the sync took more than 15 minutes.
    05-21-2014 10:29 PM
    Also, is there a way to kick off the wireless sync from the phone without having to go diving into the Settings every time?
    05-21-2014 10:29 PM
    Also, is there a way to kick off the wireless sync from the phone without having to go diving into the Settings every time?
    There should be a setting in iTunes that let's you do this, iirc.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    05-21-2014 11:16 PM
    There should be a setting in iTunes that let's you do this, iirc.
    The only setting there is to enable the action or not. If you're referring to the Sync button in iTunes, if I'm there, I don't need the WiFi option because, well, I'm in front of the computer and can plug the phone in.
    05-21-2014 11:28 PM
    The only setting there is to enable the action or not. If you're referring to the Sync button in iTunes, if I'm there, I don't need the WiFi option because, well, I'm in front of the computer and can plug the phone in.
    Hi there,

You need iTunes open to sync the phone. If the phone is on wifi on your network plugged in, I think there is an option to automatically sync when iTunes recognizes the phone. Hope I understood your question properly. There is no other way of starting a sync from the phone except by going into settings.

05-21-2014 11:32 PM
    Hi there,

You need iTunes open to sync the phone. If the phone is on wifi on your network plugged in, I think there is an option to automatically sync when iTunes recognizes the phone. Hope I understood your question properly. There is no other way of starting a sync from the phone except by going into settings.
    That's not working either. iTunes sees the iPhone over WiFi, but plugging into power does not kick off the sync. And it's not passively syncing either as no content changes unless I specifically hit the "sync" command.

Looks like this is a complete fail here.

Double ROT13 encrypted for your protection
    05-22-2014 07:48 AM
    That's not working either. iTunes sees the iPhone over WiFi, but plugging into power does not kick off the sync. And it's not passively syncing either as no content changes unless I specifically hit the "sync" command.

I think the phone has to be charging when iTunes recognizes it. I do agree with you, iTunes is a bit if a mess. I have the same issue myself and it takes a bit of fiddling to get the sync to start.

05-22-2014 08:02 AM
    In iTunes, are the options selected on the device summary 'tab' toward the bottom to sync via wifi and and automatically sync when phone is connected? I'm not experiencing anywhere near "complete fail"...
    05-22-2014 08:43 AM
    I think the phone has to be charging when iTunes recognizes it. I do agree with you, iTunes is a bit if a mess. I have the same issue myself and it takes a bit of fiddling to get the sync to start.
    Then it's a complete fail for me. With the way I "work" at home, if I have to go to the computer to start iTunes for the sync, then I may as well just plug the phone into the computer and sync via USB.

05-22-2014 10:04 AM
    In iTunes, are the options selected on the device summary 'tab' toward the bottom to sync via wifi and and automatically sync when phone is connected? I'm not experiencing anywhere near "complete fail"...
    Yes. And the iPhone also says it will sync automatically when connected to the same WiFi network and plugged into power.

05-22-2014 10:05 AM
    I think I'll just disable the WiFi sync when I get home tonight and forget about it. Everything is set right, and it's just not working. I don't know if it's a technical fail or a process fail, but it's not working for how I want it to work.

05-22-2014 10:07 AM