Charging Port Problem

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
THIS POST CAN BE DELETET OR CLOSED!!

Well....I will be venturing to the Genius Bar tomorrow unfortunately. For the past couple of months, my chargers have not been working properly. It started small, where I had to position the chord and the phone a certain way to charge, and then it got worse. Now I have to put pressure on the charger and hope it sticks. My phone will constantly vibrate (like how it does when you plug it in), and then sometimes tell me the device is not compatible.

I just hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg for this...I wish I just had an upgrade to burn! Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
=[ Keep us up to date with what happens.

It sounds like the inside got either really dirty or the pins are messed up somehow.
Hopefully they don't charge you too much for that.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Are you using a wallwart or a computer for charging? Is this done through a USB hub?

Nothing to do with the angle thing, but if you're using a USB hub, it may not be providing enough power. I use a powered USB hub on my computer, and the power block is on a switch. If I forget to turn it on, the iPhone complains that "the connected accessory may not be compatible"

Double ROT13 encrypted for your protection

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
=[ Keep us up to date with what happens.

It sounds like the inside got either really dirty or the pins are messed up somehow.
Hopefully they don't charge you too much for that.

Yea, I have tried cleaning it out for dust...but it seems fine. The lightening chord is wobbly when in though.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Are you using a wallwart or a computer for charging? Is this done through a USB hub?

Nothing to do with the angle thing, but if you're using a USB hub, it may not be providing enough power. I use a powered USB hub on my computer, and the power block is on a switch. If I forget to turn it on, the iPhone complains that "the connected accessory may not be compatible"

I haev used both a wall charge and a usb charge via the computer, and both with Apple's lightening chord. Same thing every time. It's not my chords...I have accepted the fact (finally) that it's the phone. haha.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It's hard to explain via text what the phone does when it vibrates, flashes the charging battery on and off, then displays the "not compatible" screen.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Yea, I have tried cleaning it out for dust...but it seems fine. The lightening chord is wobbly when in though.

Did you use a toothpick, firm but gentle?? Because dirt gets pressed in to the bottom of socket, so you have to put some pressure on the toothpick to remove the dirt.

If you're afraid of damaging your phone, then you should go to the Genius Bar, yes

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Ok. Just checking, since the power source is frequently overlooked when troubleshooting anything to do with charging a device.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Did you use a toothpick, firm but gentle?? Because dirt gets pressed in to the bottom of socket, so you have to put some pressure on the toothpick to remove the dirt.

If you're afraid of damaging your phone, then you should go to the Genius Bar, yes

Yea, I tried cleaning it out. Maybe not well enough...?? We will see I guess. I hope it comes down to that!

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Ok. Just checking, since the power source is frequently overlooked when troubleshooting anything to do with charging a device.

I appreciate it, I really do! It is overlooked a lot...many times its the most common sense thing that is overlooked in a troubleshoot! Haha.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Well it is official...I am an *****.

After thinking about it...I decided to try cleaning it again thinking maybe I didn't do it well enough in fear of damaging something. Well wouldn't you know it....I pulled a dust ball out that was about the size of godzilla. Now my phone is charging flawlessly.

Thank you everyone who took the time to read this post, and thank you to those who offered help and ideas. I truly am sorry for wasting your time!

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Well it is official...I am an *****.

After thinking about it...I decided to try cleaning it again thinking maybe I didn't do it well enough in fear of damaging something. Well wouldn't you know it....I pulled a dust ball out that was about the size of godzilla. Now my phone is charging flawlessly.

Thank you everyone who took the time to read this post, and thank you to those who offered help and ideas. I truly am sorry for wasting your time!

It was my pleasure to help. Dust and dirt in the port is almost always the reason for not charging. You can actually check for yourself if there is dust. When your cable gets not in far enough, that means there is something in there.

I cleaned a lot of phones from friends who had this problem before. It is not common knowledge to clean the port on a regular base

serglb

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
It's hard to explain via text what the phone does when it vibrates, flashes the charging battery on and off, then displays the "not compatible" screen.

I only see this happen with iPhone lightning cords (without the special chip apple has installed). Yeah, Genius Bar is the way.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro