Large music library

swampbaby

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
My friend has 32GB iPhone 5 but a large music library. His device is so full he can no longer download apps and he also can no longer take photos. Aside from buying a 64GB iPhone, which he is unable to at this point of his contract, and deleting songs from his library..what other alternative options does he have?

Thanks.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Use ITunes Match. Keep everything in the cloud and only put what you really want on the phone. You have access to everything without using up space on the phone.

Sent using Tapatalk

swampbaby

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
He mentioned that a work colugue had had the iCloud option enabled on his phone at a work related function and that he (my friend) wasn't impressed by the pause/delay from track to track. That he found it annoying.

I myself use Amazon Cloud Player on my phone. However I'm sure my friend's library is so large that it would exceed any of the allotted free space versions offered, I'd have to convince him into why he should be willing to pay a subscription.

IAmSixNine

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Short of deleting games or anything with a large database there is no option.
Its a give and take. With no more room on the phone either music has to go or apps. In this case id recommend cloud storage and streaming.
What he could do is store his favorite 50 or 100 or 200 songs ON the device and let everything else stream.

swampbaby

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I'll pass that along to him. Though he did mention that the pause/delay between each track on his colleague's phone was something that he did not like.

Thanks.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
My friend has 32GB iPhone 5 but a large music library. His device is so full he can no longer download apps and he also can no longer take photos. Aside from buying a 64GB iPhone, which he is unable to at this point of his contract, and deleting songs from his library..what other alternative options does he have?

Thanks.

Keep the library in iTunes and use Smart Playlists to automatically manage what goes on and off the phone when syncing. I've got a 16GB iPhone, and over 15,000 songs (over 40GB). My iPhone has about 1200 songs on it right now. I sync to iTunes once or twice a week to rotate the music on the phone.

meashishnd

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
iTunes match is one of the best services from apple will help you better touch in sync on all device you could try it charges are also normal

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Check out Google Play Music. I use it personally, and have over 20gb of music, available for me in the cloud.

TMav

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
There are several options. As mentioned he could use iTunes Match.

But also you don't have to keep your entire iTunes music library on your iPhone. If you use sync I believe there is a sync check box in iTunes for every song. If the box is not checked the song will not sync.

Also, you can check the box in iTunes when the phone is connected to "Manually manage music". With this option checked it overrides syncing and you can just drag and drop the music in iTunes onto your phone that you want on the phone.

I have a large library and have always used manually manage music so I can just drag and drop what I want on my iPod and iOS devices.

Personally I like using iTunes Match just because I don't have to connect the iOS device to the computer to manage my library on the iOS device and also being able to have access to your entire library on multiple computers. You don't have to stream, you can still download select items to your iOS device and other computers. I usually download stuff I want when away from wifi and turn use cellular data off so I don't use my cellular data when I'm away from wifi like in my car.

However, iTunes Match does cost a fee of $25 a year (if I'm remembering correctly). But you also get iTunes Radio commercial free which is nice.

A couple of other things about iTunes Match. I had a lot of trouble with it with it introduced with iOS 7. With 7.1 it seems to be working ok at this point. But apple messed up deleting items on iOS 7 by Artist and Album. It's no longer an option. You have to delete song by song which is tedious. Also, in iOS 7 if for any reason iTunes Match gets toggled off on the iOS device all music downloaded by iTunes Match on your iOS device gets deleted off the device which is a tremendous hassle for me who wants downloaded items to stay on the device. So with iOS 7 it's been a struggle to keep my downloaded items on my device while using iTunes Match. Prior to iOS 7 iTunes Match could be turned off without deleting currently downloaded items. Apple seriously needs to reconsider this as it appears they have done this by design. Also, it is not possible to use drag and drop in iTunes when manually manage music is turned on when using iTunes Match on the iOS device. This has always been bugged me about iTunes Match.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen