Genius Bar help

jakea95

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
can someone tell me if it will cost me ? I'm out of warranty but have a issue with my phone I've been told it could be something in the motherboard over hearing causing it not to charge properly an not hold the charge? how much am I looking to pay ?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The most you will or should have to pay is the $150 - $199 for a replacement, however, Apple may tell you that it will replace it at no cost to you depending on the problem.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I would go in and let them make the recommendation. Don't tell them what you think it could be. They may think you had someone else work on it.

jakea95

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
okay, but obviously I haven't cause this problem? so therefor I don't think I need to pay for the repairs as it's a issue in the phone?, but hey let's see what they say

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
okay, but obviously I haven't cause this problem? so therefor I don't think I need to pay for the repairs as it's a issue in the phone?, but hey let's see what they say

Out of curiosity, what are you expecting here? Your chances of a replacement free of charge are extremely slim to none.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Warranties are not forever... You say yours is expired. Take it in...let them diagnose, see what they offer and move on from there.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
can someone tell me if it will cost me ? I'm out of warranty but have a issue with my phone I've been told it could be something in the motherboard over hearing causing it not to charge properly an not hold the charge? how much am I looking to pay ?

Unless things have changed these past couple of months, out of warranty device replacement is $269 for iPhone 5, $199 for 4S, and $149 for iPhone 4.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
If it's out of warrantee it really doesn't matter if you caused it or not. Normal wear and tear could have caused it. If you go in thinking they owe you anything you will be in for a rude awakening.

jakea95

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
so.. a rare problem that's accrued will be ignored and il have to pay? I'm sure with these items there's some kind of law and routes I could go down with apple regarding warranty. if I had seen other problems an symptoms I've had I can understand and justify paying for replacement but as nothing else I've seen is the same I think it's unfair as it's obviously not my fault it's broken. the phone was replaced 5 months ago from apple. now I have a phone that takes for ever to charge and loses it within half an hour.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
If the warranty has expired, then yes, you likely would have to pay. Makes complete sense. It doesn't matter if it is a "rare problem" or a common problem that has occurred. And yes, "there's some kind of law" and Apple would be in compliance with it if they charge you for repairs outside the warranty period.

But sometimes you get lucky and they might do it for free depending on what the issue is. Take it in and find out.

But drop the entitlement attitude and you will likely be more successful.

jakea95

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
obviously I'm not going to go into apple and be dam right rude. all I'm saying is I don't think it's fair that some people don't even damage the phone & have to pay, also I think it's bad that the replacement phones do not come with 1 years warranty. I hope this problem Is resolved. it's a shame the phone cannot be repaired

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
If the device was replaced under warranty, then it gets a 90 day warranty or the remainder of the original warranty whichever is longer.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Go see what they say and tell them it came from them 5 months ago .. Let them check for damage water sensors etc. You might get lucky if it a strange issue that they can duplicate if they say no I would find a a good third party repair shop on yelp and have the battery replaced as to me that sounds like the issue unless of course it is water damaged.

On a side not I have seen your issues before normally with water damaged phones. Assuming that's not the case I would still let them look at it. It's not gonna cost anything to see what they say and who knows they might surprise you.
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh