Like many people, I do my best net browsing on my device whilst on the loo. Once I finished (I was actually browsing iMore), I placed the phone on the sink next to me, completely forgetting that I had a sink full of water...

Yeah you can see where this is going, can't you..?

Suffice to say I am now packing it in rice and hoping that I can get it sorted tomorrow. if not, it's covered under my home contents insurance so I will see about getting a replacement.

In my defence, I am on uber painkillers and antibiotics at the moment so in my reality-addled mind it actually took me a few seconds to comprehend what I had done. Still, I can see the funny side... but again that may be the painkillers talking.

But for now, I am iPhone-less and the pain... THE PAIN...Make it go away!

The last time I did this was with an old Nokia back in the 90s and a spell on top of a radiator fixed that right up.
    03-21-2014 06:02 PM
    Wow...that sucks!!! I hope everything works out...Get Well Soon!!!
    03-21-2014 06:26 PM
    Sorry to hear that, hope it works out. The longer you can leave in rice the better.
    03-21-2014 06:31 PM
    Oh my gosh. I hope the phone will still work okay. I also wish with all my heart that whatever pain you're having, it'll get better soon....

Sent from the colored one using Tapatalk
    03-21-2014 06:43 PM
    Sounds like someone is going to invest in a lifeproof case
    03-21-2014 08:33 PM
    I would say, it was a terrible thing to happen to you and your phone, but on the other hand treat it as a learning experience and don't let that affect you beyond just the device. Mental wellness is more important than anything else, always remember that...
    03-21-2014 08:45 PM
    Look at the bright side, at least it didn't go in the toilet...

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    03-21-2014 09:09 PM
    Sorry about your phone, but hopefully, the rice will dry it out. My wife's iPhone 5C fell into a puddle and was there for several minutes before she realized that it had fallen from one of her jacket pockets. Thankfully, it continued to work and have been working without any problems or glitches. Hopefully, yours will, too. In the meantime, get well soon, my friend...
    03-21-2014 09:45 PM
    Check all the ports tomorrow after the rice and see if you can see any red, Might need a small flashlight, If you do, You might be visiting Apple but I hope it works out for you man. Best of luck.
    03-21-2014 09:57 PM
    Xperia Z.
    03-22-2014 01:37 AM
    Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Yeah i'm going to leave it in rice for all of today. It's in our airing cupboard too and that has a gentle, dry heat so hopefully it should all help.

It's definitely a learning experience. To be honest, I pretty much treat everything as a learning experience, good or bad. It's one of the philosophies my acting coach has drummed into me.

"There is no such thing as a problem, merely an opportunity." If the 5 doesn't work, I shall claim on my house insurance and either find a cheap second hand 5S or hang on to the money until the 6 comes out. That way I will be able to get the 64Gb (or even a 128Gb if they do one) without feeling like I am spending far too much. Also, by the time the 6 is released I should have relocated from the UK to the USA anyway.
    03-22-2014 06:13 AM
    Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Yeah i'm going to leave it in rice for all of today. It's in our airing cupboard too and that has a gentle, dry heat so hopefully it should all help.

It's definitely a learning experience. To be honest, I pretty much treat everything as a learning experience, good or bad. It's one of the philosophies my acting coach has drummed into me.

"There is no such thing as a problem, merely an opportunity." If the 5 doesn't work, I shall claim on my house insurance and either find a cheap second hand 5S or hang on to the money until the 6 comes out. That way I will be able to get the 64Gb (or even a 128Gb if they do one) without feeling like I am spending far too much. Also, by the time the 6 is released I should have relocated from the UK to the USA anyway.

That is a great attitude, I'm sure you will be fine
    03-22-2014 10:03 AM
    I went canoeing once with a Windows Mobile smartphone in the shorts cargo pocket, of course I completely forgot about this and jumped in water to get the boat off of a log. A bag of rice and three days later it was fully workable. Worked for almost a year until I was out of contract. Hopefully, Apple's products are at lest as good as HTC's. Good luck.
    03-22-2014 10:45 PM
    Sounds like someone is going to invest in a lifeproof case
    Even if this happened to me I'd never spend $80 on case let alone one that's ugly as sin no matter what functions it has.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums
    Not Quite Right likes this.
    03-23-2014 12:53 AM
    Not to be a downer but the bad thing about iPhones is not being able to yank the battery in situations like this. I basically had to watch my iPhone short itself out until it was dead. There wasn't a box of rice big enough to dry that phone out.
    03-23-2014 02:33 AM
    Well, i'm a sad panda; it's not turning on.

Never mind, i'm not without a phone as I will get a change of sim card, from nano to micro, tomorrow from my carrier and put the sim in my HTC One (which I had relegated to the drawer as I was going to sell it).

I shall put a claim though on my home contents insurance but I don't expect them to pay up any time soon.

Maybe they'll pay me just in time for the iPhone 6 to launch; that would be fortuitous.

In the meantime I shall wander about iPhone-less, in some kind of stuporific daze, desperately twitching and reaching for the 'phantom' phone every time I hear 'my' ring tone go off...
    03-23-2014 07:00 AM
    Sorry for your loss
    03-23-2014 07:13 AM
    Well, i'm a sad panda; it's not turning on.

Never mind, i'm not without a phone as I will get a change of sim card, from nano to micro, tomorrow from my carrier and put the sim in my HTC One (which I had relegated to the drawer as I was going to sell it).

I shall put a claim though on my home contents insurance but I don't expect them to pay up any time soon.

Maybe they'll pay me just in time for the iPhone 6 to launch; that would be fortuitous.

In the meantime I shall wander about iPhone-less, in some kind of stuporific daze, desperately twitching and reaching for the 'phantom' phone every time I hear 'my' ring tone go off...
    Two things. What's the deductible on your home owners insurance? It might be more than the phone. Plus I got mine replaced at the Apple store for $239, and out of courtesy I also picked up the Apple Care Plus for $99 ...
    Highrisedrifter likes this.
    03-23-2014 09:48 AM
    Two things. What's the deductible on your home owners insurance? It might be more than the phone. Plus I got mine replaced at the Apple store for $239, and out of courtesy I also picked up the Apple Care Plus for $99 ...
    We have a zero deductible on our insurance (I'm in the UK) so that isn't an issue. I wonder how much more it would put the actual monthly cost up by though, so i'm just trying to look at that. The likelihood is that the insurance company would take a month or two to pay out anyway, which would put me a bit closer to the iPhone 6 launch date.

As i'm at the end of my contract, i'm due for an upgrade now anyway and have been for a couple of months so i'm tempted to hold off for the iPhone 6. Saying that though, I will be in the USA by June (hopefully) so will need a phone over there and i've not even looked into a phone contract for a foreign national with zero US credit history (I suspect zilch chance but that is a topic for another thread).

So basically I am exploring my options at the moment but DAMN I want a gold iPhone 5S right now!
    03-23-2014 10:44 AM
    We have a zero deductible on our insurance (I'm in the UK) so that isn't an issue. I wonder how much more it would put the actual monthly cost up by though, so i'm just trying to look at that. The likelihood is that the insurance company would take a month or two to pay out anyway, which would put me a bit closer to the iPhone 6 launch date.

As i'm at the end of my contract, i'm due for an upgrade now anyway and have been for a couple of months so i'm tempted to hold off for the iPhone 6. Saying that though, I will be in the USA by June (hopefully) so will need a phone over there and i've not even looked into a phone contract for a foreign national with zero US credit history (I suspect zilch chance but that is a topic for another thread).

So basically I am exploring my options at the moment but DAMN I want a gold iPhone 5S right now!
    Ooo, exciting! If you're okay with the HTC One, and it serves your needs within a phone I'd use that until the 6 comes out. But I can tell you, if you're really looking into the 5s, it'd be best to get it now. Sooner you get it, the sooner your next contract will end. good luck my friend

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    03-23-2014 12:25 PM
    So although i've got my HTC One and Note 3, you don't want to know how much I miss my iPhone right now.

I wouldn't go so far as to sell my soul but I would gladly swap my Note 3, with a bit of cash, for a Gold iPhone 5S 32Gb or 64Gb.

These devices just get under your skin, don't they? At least I have my iPad to play with but it's not the same, obviously.
    Last edited by Highrisedrifter; 03-25-2014 at 04:03 PM.
    03-25-2014 09:30 AM
    It's been two weeks and I really, REALLY miss my iPhone now.

The HTC One I am using in its place is all well and good but it is NOT my iPhone.

My insurance company are dragging their feet and want to see if they can get the phone repaired first. They have a 'preferred repairer' that isn't Apple and will do it as cheaply as possible. I'm not holding out much hope here...

I've asked for a replacement phone or cash to the value of another iPhone but it looks like they aren't doing that until they've 'exhausted all options' first. They intimated that it's likely to be at least another month before they will even think about the merest possibility of considering potential compensation. Oh well.
    04-04-2014 10:38 AM
    Old thread, i know, but it's my thread so i'm allowed some thread necromancy.

Today I took ownership of a new Gold iPhone 5s 32gb and I am ONE HAPPY BUNNY! *dances*

I've just got it home and i'm updating it to 7.1.1. via iTunes now.

That's it really, i'm just very, very happy to have a replacement for my defunct iPhone 5 and although I didn't get the full monetary value back from my insurance company, I only paid 60 extra, which is OK. This means I will still be able to get the iPhone 6 when it comes out to replace my HTC One as I didn't have to stump up hundreds of pounds for a new one. My Note 3 is getting sold as quick as I can, I can't be doing with it anymore.
    06-11-2014 12:42 PM