Battery/LTE on AT&T iPhone 5

Avenged110

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
So I've had my iPhone 5 on AT&T since release day, it's still running iOS 6.1.4, and I had the battery replaced by Apple about a month ago. Before I explain everything, the point here is I just wanted to see if anyone had suggestions as to what may be causing this so I know who to contact or what action to take, whether it be Apple, AT&T, or handle it myself.

In terms of battery, I normally get an average of 10 hours usage, 25 hours standby on my phone, but have seen the usage, under normal conditions, vary from 9-12 hours on a single charge. It's always been this way and I can usually use my phone normally for two days on one charge. For LTE, I usually have 2-3 bars around my house and at school, averaging around 10-15 Mbps, and hitting highs of 20-50 Mbps on a full 5 bars. For whatever reason, over the last week and a half, my LTE on 2-3 bars can't break .5-1 Mbps and even with a full 5 bars only hits around 6. However, this isn't 100% consistent, but it is consistently worse than it used to be. I'll get >1 Mbps 8/10 times, >6 the other 2, and have only hit ~45 Mbps a single time, but that was only in one location yards from a cell tower - and these are all measures of downlink but upload is bad as well. I've switched it over to HSPA+ and managed the totally normal 3 Mbps average. Now, using HSPA+ is horrifically bad, (it's the network technology and Qualcomm's baseband, not speed) but that is both an argument for another day and the trade off for being able to use my cellular data. Also, my battery has been dropping like a rock (on LTE now, battery always sucks massively on HSPA+). Today, for instance, I only managed 2.5 hours usage, 8 hours standby with 50% remaining. And this is always very light usage ranging from messages to music to Twitter. So that's the situation.

Now, I've been through the full suite of troubleshooting techniques over the last few days, including: hard reset, popped the SIM card, reset network settings, even restored the carrier file in iTunes. There haven't been any network changes lately, AT&T has finished their LTE deployment here and according to the field test app, I'm still on band 17, like always. It's a fresh battery and I couldn't fully determine if it's a potential hardware issue since it's been working absolutely fine for a year and a half. Nothing has changed with my usage habits and my friends' iPhone 5s (iOS 6 and 7) on AT&T haven't seen any change in network quality. Side note: If, on the off chance, it's a software issue, then I'm just screwed and I'll figure something out because I can't restore my phone, I'm not in a position to buy another one, and I'm sure as hell not updating it. But again, this shouldn't be an issue and it shouldn't be anything related to the hardware since it was working fine for all this time. Anybody got any ideas?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
re: Battery/LTE on AT&T iPhone 5

Well this is a strange issue first why did your battery need replacing so soon?

It's your decision to not want to update to iOS 7 it's not a JB issue because 6.1.4 is not Jail Breakable

It's also strange that Apple will replace your battery but not update your phone

But with all that said give the battery a little time to adjust and 5 plus hours is not to far from normal

iMore Ambassador -iPhone 5s

Avenged110

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
re: Battery/LTE on AT&T iPhone 5

I had the battery replaced because it was shutting off intermittently at around 30% and the charge indicator/percentage was inaccurate. I though it might be a software issue, but they told me the battery was just on the line of being bad so the Genius was really nice and replaced it for me.

Every version of iOS on every device (prior to 7.1) is jailbreakable, but that's not why I am staying with iOS 6.

I explained my position to the Genius, who was very understanding, and he put a huge note on the ticket warning them not to update it.

I'm just annoyed because 5 hours may be fairly normal, but considering I have so many things disabled (Push; all of iCloud except for Mail, Reminders, & FMi; all notifications except for Phone, Messages, Reminders, & Tweetbot; Bluetooth; all "Use Cellular Data" toggles for iTunes, Reading List, etc.; auto-downloads; iTunes Match; FaceTime; iMessage; auto-setting of Date and Time; all location services except Maps, Siri, Reminders, Yelp, and FMi; iBooks and Podcasts syncing; no social accounts signed into the OS, nothing running in the background unless I'm using it, an average brightness setting of around 20%, and I usually have Cellular Data off when I'm at home using Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi off if I'm out) and the fact that I get double that all the time, it shouldn't be that low.

MacintoshDan

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I always get mine switched every once in a while because I've had experiences when they will cause some weird things to happen. Try it out, you got nothing to lose.

Sent from my Space Gray 16 GB AT&T iPad Air using iMore Forums

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner