WiFi calling/texting using my existing phone number with ATT iphone 5?

sunrat39

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I recently switched to ATT using my verizon iphone 5 device and now I noticed that I don't receive ATT signal at work. However, we do have Wifi at work and I was thinking about using wifi calling/texting that uses my existing phone number since I don't receive an ATT signal. I know you can use facetime audio but not every one of my family members owns an iphone (they have android). I believe Tmobile has some sort of wifi calling app that comes preloaded into their phones? Does anyone know what's the best way for me to fix this issue? Thanks.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
The iPhone is the only phone (as far as I know) that does not support Tmobile's wifi calling feature. AT&T does not offer anything like that. They can give you a micro-cell for your home. It's like a personal cell tower in your home that runs off your broadband connection; I believe there are extra fees for this service.

You will need to use FaceTime audio or a third party voice service like Skype.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile wifi calling feature is for android phones only. As stated above AT&T has a microcell that will boost your connection.

Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5S

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Good news is that iMessage does work over wifi (Recipient must have iMessage as well) ... You can also make calls via FaceTime Audio however again you are stuck with the same limitation. I know that there are several users that utilize their google voice number for times they are in poor coverage areas. There are many apps out there that support google voice, while you won't be able to use your default at&t number anytime someone sends a message to your google voice number you will be able to receive it on wifi & on cell when that's available. It's a little clunky, but does work.

sunrat39

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Microcell wouldn't work for me since it would require a router and I don't want to fiddle with our works setup. I would have to pass it through IT, managers, etc.

Well, my parents have iPhones and my siblings have android. Looks like a combination of iMessage (what I was using with my parents anyway) and google hangout will have to do.

It's funny, sprint just announced wifi calling with the galaxy s4 and mini today. Hopefully, att can do something like this in the future but the combination of hangout and iMessage should be ok.

93Aero

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
T-Mobile wifi calling feature is for android phones only. As stated above AT&T has a microcell that will boost your connection.

Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5S

And BlackBerry phones, the only BlackBerrys that don't have wifi calling are the ones on a operating system above 10.1. all others have it. If you update to 10.2 you will no longer have wifi calling.

VanAwful

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Some more info on this. T-Mobile WiFi Calling is available on most, not all, of the android and BlackBerry phones. They have not annouced any plans to support it on Apple.

Note that since T-Mobile is no long authorized to sell BlackBerry phones you are left with Android as the only choice. However, you could load BBM on Apple iOS6 and iOS7 as well as most Android phones an use it as your VoIP. It is already pre-loaded on BlackBerry's (dah :)

I have a BlackBerry Z10, my oldest child has an iPhone5 and my youngest has a Motorola Droid. We found that BBM was more reliable than Skype. This does not solve the issue of land lines. For BB10 and Android phones you could use Google Voice.

Apple is now the one that has fallen behind. New phones without MicroSD and loaded with proprietary apps are history.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Apple is now the one that has fallen behind. New phones without MicroSD and loaded with proprietary apps are history.

In what world? Have you seen Apple’s sales numbers each year following a new iPhone release? Clearly, this is your opinion and not fact.

Kelz Clive

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
In what world? Have you seen Apple’s sales numbers each year following a new iPhone release? Clearly, this is your opinion and not fact.

With all the iPhones around one would think they are #1 but the are far from it. They are #3 but their market share is worlds away from #1, Samsung. Those are the facts.

Samsung 555 million sold (30.6% market share)
Nokia: 350 million sold (22.19% market share)
Apple: 150.8 million sold (8.3% market share)
ZTE: 59.9 million sold (3.3% market share)
Huawei: 53.3 million sold (2.9% market share)
TCL Corporation: 49.5 million sold (2.7% market share)
Lenovo: 45.3 million sold (2.5% market share)
LG: 37.6 million sold (2.1% market share)
Yulong: 32.6 million sold (1.8% market share)
Others: 613.7 million sold (34.0% market share)
Total: 1,806.9 million sold (100.0% market share)

Dave Downes

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
The number of handsets sold by Samsung in 2013 was approximately 444 million. The number of handsets sold by Apple was 150 Million.

Focusing on only Smartphones, Samsung sold 299 million and Apple sold 150 Million.

A far more important number though I believe is the Operating system breakdown.

In 2013 Apple IOS was on 153 million phones sold, while Android was on 750 Million.

Apple once was a computer company, and they were trendy and different. Now they are a phone company and despite the obvious market trend, they are remaining the same.

I have an iPhone from work, and that's the only reason.

Edited to provide source but I need to have 10 posts before I can share links, cool feature. So Google mobithinking and smartphone sales

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro