Power Issue, what would you do?

RescueEMT911

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello all, I really need help deciding what to do.. I have an iPhone 5, which was a replacement which I received in March '13. For the last few weeks my battery does not seem to last very long, 5 hours usage, and around 10-12 hours of standby. This past week I re installed ios 7.04 and set the phone up completely as new, it did not fix the battery life, but the phone started to fluctuate in percentage, example was at 32, jumped down to 16, plugged into charger and immediately jumped back up to 32, along with many other fluctuations. I brought the phone into the Apple store, and they ran the diagnostic test, which showed my battery to be ok, 90% life left. Later that night when I got home I was still experiencing the problems with the battery so I called Applecare and they run a text diagnostic report, which showed the battery to be operating ok, they still offered to replace it but I said I would try again and re install IOS and restore. The next day the erratic percentages and not really up to par battery life continued, so that night I went online to Apples Troubleshooting website and it ran the same test the Applecare Rep did, sending a text and on the computer this time it came up with an issue, said my phone is reporting a 'power issue' and had me call Applecare. When I called they setup to send me a replacement device which is scheduled to arrive this Tuesday. Of course 'murphys law' came into play and it seems like my battery has been operating ok these last 2 days.

My question that I really need help with is what would you do in this situation? I really take good care of my phones, and I have no blemishes on it, everything else on the phone works great, so I am afraid I would just get a phone with more problems? But when I spoke with a rep again, he said sometimes bad batteries will report as good, but when a diagnostic report comes back with a power problem, that problem will persist. So my question is what would you do in this situation? Also anyone who has had a replacement sent to them is their experience usually ok without problems? PS I was a nerd and looked up the serial number they emailed me for the new phone, and it says that the phone they are sending was produced in the 45th week (November), whereas the phone I have now was produced in March. I just don't want to get a phone that is all beat up and has more problems, when I swear my phone looks better than new. Any help or thoughts on this is GREATLY appreciated.. THANKS!!

RescueEMT911

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I personally have not gotten a replacement device but have purchased refurbished ipad, iPod iMac and MacBook all which work flawlessly. Apple doesn't give out crap. I would take the replacement.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You've got the replacement device coming... Swap it out when it arrives.

Exactly! In the meantime, when you restored your device, did you just erased all contents and settings or did you put it in DFU mode, connect it to iTunes and had it download and install a fresh copy of iOS? The latter is the preferred method I like to use.

RescueEMT911

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I put the phone in DFU mode, re installed ios, and added my apps back one by one.. Seemed to make the problem worse.. Only good thing was it gave me something to do during the blizzard here in Buffalo NY on Tuesday lol.. I am just so OCD I hope the replacement is ok, dont want to just get more problems

elvisx77

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem when it comes to replacements. You are getting a refurbished one which you don't have any idea what's it's being through.

But I saw a news article recently that apple going to start in store battery and screen replacements while you wait. So I guess the future will be more brighter than today.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iMore Forums mobile app

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I once had a genius tell me that FRU phones (the ones they give you as replacements) are all new components minus the battery which is not new, not sure if this is true but may be some of your problem. As mentioned above I would sit back wait for the replacement and make sure that you have all your data backed up for a seamless transition.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73