Need help !! I accidently bought a missing iphone 5

Ansell Halim

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, i'm new here.. I just want to ask you guys about what i should do now, or what can i do now, given my conditions as follows:

I just bought an used iphone 5 (ios 7)from some internet forum in my country, apparently, the phone was a missing iphone. And i was too late to recognize it ( after i got home and use my wifi), there was a message from the owner regarding the information of his address and phone number, i tried to contact him, and he already doesn't want his cellphone back (1 month old lost). The seller(maybe the thief) also nowhere to be found and cannot be contacted anymore.

I'm very new to apple products and doesn't know anything about activation locks, iclouds, find my iphones and such, so i just bought the cellphone without adequate knowledge. I know there was fault at my hand also because i was careless.

So i want to ask you guys, is there any way that i could claim the phone to Apple? Will my reason acceptable? Or do anyone knows how to deal with this situation? Because i cannot use it, and my money already gone :(

Thank you so much guys

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to iMore and there's Nothing you can do if the owner reported it stolen/lost. U bought a brick. Apple won't do anything for you either. Sorry

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys, i'm new here.. I just want to ask you guys about what i should do now, or what can i do now, given my conditions as follows:
Okay, and welcome to iMore.

I just bought an used iphone 5 (ios 7)from some internet forum in my country, apparently, the phone was a missing iphone. And i was too late to recognize it ( after i got home and use my wifi), there was a message from the owner regarding the information of his address and phone number, i tried to contact him, and he already doesn't want his cellphone back (1 month old lost).
If you "tried to contact him", I am assuming you were unable to, and if so, how do you know that he doesn't want his phone back? How do you know the phone has been lost for a month?
The seller(maybe the thief) also nowhere to be found and cannot be contacted anymore.
Not surprising.

I'm very new to apple products and doesn't know anything about activation locks, iclouds, find my iphones and such, so i just bought the cellphone without adequate knowledge.
Explain how you are familiar with those terms.
I know there was fault at my hand also because i was careless.
Careless? Maybe. Eager to buy? Possibly.

So i want to ask you guys, is there any way that i could claim the phone to Apple?
What do you mean when you say "claim the phone to Apple"?
Will my reason acceptable? Or do anyone knows how to deal with this situation? Because i cannot use it, and my money already gone :(

Thank you so much guys
you stated that information about the owner's address was on the screen. Why don't you just mail the package back to the owner and chalk this sale up as a loss? You're not going to be able to use the phone.

Ansell Halim

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to iMore and there's Nothing you can do if the owner reported it stolen/lost. U bought a brick. Apple won't do anything for you either. Sorry
thank you for the answer..
oh i see.. :(
Okay, and welcome to iMore.

If you "tried to contact him", I am assuming you were unable to, and if so, how do you know that he doesn't want his phone back? How do you know the phone has been lost for a month?
the owner left a phone number and i tried contacting him, apparently he already willing to let the phone go and doesn't need the phone anymore.
in the message he said that he lost it in some expo, that expo happened a month ago in Dec 2013
Explain how you are familiar with those terms.
i just learned about those terms yesterday, after the incident. i maybe new to apple products but i'm familiar with other system especially Blackberry (crackberry abuser).
Careless? Maybe. Eager to buy? Possibly.
Yes, both. Because it was below market price and i can afford it. Sorry that i cannot afford buying the new one, it cost 800usd in my country
What do you mean when you say "claim the phone to Apple"? you stated that information about the owner's address was on the screen. Why don't you just mail the package back to the owner and chalk this sale up as a loss? You're not going to be able to use the phone.
if the owner doesn't want it back, and the seller is gone for good, then my money is gone.
i just wanted to know whether there is a way that i could use this phone, knowing that both 2 people casted it away.

Thank you very much for the answer though..

Ansell Halim

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
yes i thought about that too..i tried asking but unfortunately, the owner is unwilling to do that :(
so yeah, I'm in a pinch :/
many thanks for the input :)

DroidArmy

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
yes i thought about that too..i tried asking but unfortunately, the owner is unwilling to do that :(
so yeah, I'm in a pinch :/
many thanks for the input :)

I can help you get the phone itself running, but if the phone is banned from the network then you're in a pretty tough situation. You can technically force a restore on the iPhone if needed. Can you get the imei? I would check and see if it got banned from the network

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I can help you get the phone itself running, but if the phone is banned from the network then you're in a pretty tough situation. You can technically force a restore on the iPhone if needed. Can you get the imei? I would check and see if it got banned from the network

Wrong. IF the phone is blocked out with the Activation Lock, you cannot bypass it. Period. I got a c-note that says you can’t.

Last edited:

Ansell Halim

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

that's okay man, right now I'm willing to try any method just to make this phone works

I'll send you the IMEI

DroidArmy

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site

Ansell Halim

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

DroidArmy

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
so what should I do now ?
should we talk in private? or it's okay to talk here.. sorry i don't know the courtesy

I'm working on trying to get the phone to work. The video in my previous post was wrong because the apps won't open. Give me some time and I'll try to find a way

DroidArmy

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
You need to get that guy to remove it from his account. All of the previous tricks I used have been patched by Apple. I thought I had something that worked but it got patched. I'm sorry man

Ansell Halim

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
You need to get that guy to remove it from his account. All of the previous tricks I used have been patched by Apple. I thought I had something that worked but it got patched. I'm sorry man

apparently so.. I've tried numerous times asking but no luck..

I also already tried bypassing the lock screen from videos, it works until the home screen, but the icons doesn't work. Only facetime works
I think it's the most current bypassing method to date, but still no luck in working apps.

DroidArmy

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Do you know the Apple ID of the person? You can enter it with a fake password until it locks you out and sends an email for the person to change it. After that, you should be able to use your own Apple ID to get into the phone from what I've read. That may have been patched as well though but it's worth a shot

vn906c

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
If the original owner doesn't want it anymore, why are they unwilling to take the phone off their icloud? I'm just curious.

Ansell Halim

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Do you know the Apple ID of the person? You can enter it with a fake password until it locks you out and sends an email for the person to change it. After that, you should be able to use your own Apple ID to get into the phone from what I've read. That may have been patched as well though but it's worth a shot

I've heard about it but never tried. because i don't know the email of that person
but if I ever found it, I'll try that method.
thanks for the bother man.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

The patch is called "Activation Lock" - it came with iOS 7. Rock solid. No way around it. Period.

If the original owner doesn't want it anymore, why are they unwilling to take the phone off their icloud? I'm just curious.

I’m calling 'BS' on the whole story/thread. It just doesn’t add up.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Call the owner again explain yourself and if he doesn't want it back maybe he will give you his iCloud so u can unlock the phone and turn off find my iPhone so you can set it up as new

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox