Need help !! I accidently bought a missing iphone 5

Ansell Halim

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
If the original owner doesn't want it anymore, why are they unwilling to take the phone off their icloud? I'm just curious.

Call the owner again explain yourself and if he doesn't want it back maybe he will give you his iCloud so u can unlock the phone and turn off find my iPhone so you can set it up as new
well.. i wonder the same my friend..
he's willing to let go..but want to punish whoever has it..maybe.. i don't know the real reason but that's the logic i have
I'm telling you guys the truth..

ok the point is, there is no way around the icloud activation. i understand, thank you guys

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Call the owner again explain yourself and if he doesn't want it back maybe he will give you his iCloud so u can unlock the phone and turn off find my iPhone so you can set it up as new

No WAY should anyone ever give out their iCloud info to a new owner.

My guess is that the old owner doesn't fully understand what is being asked--most people don't understand that you can go to a web portal and remove a device from your account without having the device in your possession. He probably thinks someone is trying to hack him. And who can blame him?? Someone he's never met is contacting him saying "I have the phone you lost, can you enter your password somewhere so I can use it?" Apple made a great system security-wise, but it's really not at all friendly to aftermarket buyers.

4rtic80

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
OK, this is rich. My office has had this IPAD2 for 3 years and it goes around to whoever needs it. The last user upgrade it to iOS7 and BAM!!! The next user unable to use it again. The last user says he does not use his iCloud account and even if he accidentally use it, it won't accept his password. None of the previous user remember whether they use their iCloud and personally I don't think so.

Can we fix this?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
OK, this is rich. My office has had this IPAD2 for 3 years and it goes around to whoever needs it. The last user upgrade it to iOS7 and BAM!!! The next user unable to use it again. The last user says he does not use his iCloud account and even if he accidentally use it, it won't accept his password. None of the previous user remember whether they use their iCloud and personally I don't think so.

Can we fix this?

If the activation lock has been enabled, and no one remembers the necessary credentials to turn it off then the answer is no.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
No WAY should anyone ever give out their iCloud info to a new owner.

My guess is that the old owner doesn't fully understand what is being asked--most people don't understand that you can go to a web portal and remove a device from your account without having the device in your possession. He probably thinks someone is trying to hack him. And who can blame him?? Someone he's never met is contacting him saying "I have the phone you lost, can you enter your password somewhere so I can use it?" Apple made a great system security-wise, but it's really not at all friendly to aftermarket buyers.

It doesn't sound like the op has explained anything to the owner I was offering a solution that would work if the owner does not care about the phone I would even try to go meet with him or something to resolve the issue even if removing from web entering password to wipe device .. If it was my phone I wouldn't care since He prob has a new one already .. Unless it's the person who actually took it from me.. Then they can keep the brick ..
I still think apple has a way around it with special Ipsw etc. There always is a back door but finding it is the question.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
If the old owner removes it, of course that's fine?all I'm saying is people shouldn't give their password to a new owner, since that then gives access to your iCloud account.

Even if you don't use the device anymore you probably have an iCloud email, etc. (Many people use their iCloud login in as their Apple ID, which is then tied to a credit card in iTunes, and so on.) Giving a stranger your log in info makes no sense.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If the old owner removes it, of course that's fine?all I'm saying is people shouldn't give their password to a new owner, since that then gives access to your iCloud account.

Even if you don't use the device anymore you probably have an iCloud email, etc. (Many people use their iCloud login in as their Apple ID, which is then tied to a credit card in iTunes, and so on.) Giving a stranger your log in info makes no sense.

'Nuf said...:)

4rtic80

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
If the activation lock has been enabled, and no one remembers the necessary credentials to turn it off then the answer is no.

Can we bring it to an Apple Store and request it to be released? Can they simply check the Apple ID frequently used on the device to verify that we are the lawful owner? We have this 1 Apple ID that is never changed on the device since it is needed to download several free application from the AppStore. There is no credit card info in it and since people just using it for temporary basis, never bother to set up their own Apple ID.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I doubt it, but I can't say for certain. Proving ownership of an Apple ID does not prove ownership of the device.

DroidArmy

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I doubt it, but I can't say for certain. Proving ownership of an Apple ID does not prove ownership of the device.

Exactly. They can't release the device to you. They have been given specific Instructions at the Apple store not to release the lock on these devices because they can't verify it actually belongs to you.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

DarkBlade_95

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Wow, that sucks. Sorry for your loss, bro. However, the owner's behaviour doesn't add up. Why would he decide to suddenly let go of a device as expensive as an iPhone, which he could easily re-activate and sell for a fair amount of money? Even then, why would he want to be such a [Redacted] to someone who's clearly a victim of a crime, just like him?

I think you should contact him again, try to explain your position a bit better. Maybe he'll end up re-activating the phone for you. Better yet, what about the transaction? If you went through PayPal, they may be able to help you, maybe even return your money.

If none of that works out, you should go to the authorities and tell them that you got ripped off and someone sold you a stolen device.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Larisa Trexler

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
he is committing fraud.
report the fraud committed by the seller(s) to the carrier? and if you paid electronically-file a claim with paypal, etc. (they will usually reverse)
in the end, at the very least the seller will not have profited twice...

RobertAdams313

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
he is committing fraud.
report the fraud committed by the seller(s) to the carrier? and if you paid electronically-file a claim with paypal, etc. (they will usually reverse)
in the end, at the very least the seller will not have profited twice...

Best thing to do. Either get your money back or you have a pretty brick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marlinav

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
Wow! I followed this entire thread and my insides are in knots from the read. I'm coming from the perspective of the iPhone 5c owner of a recently lost/dropped/missing device, and I'm so disappointed to see that people are okay to breakthrough security measures (code and protocols) designed to protect legitimate purchasers. My boyfriend purchased my phone as my birthday gift this past May. I was qualified for an upgrade so purchase price was discounted along with a 2-year extension to AT&T services. After dropping my device this past Friday, I now have to pay full retail of $600 to purchase the iPhone 6 (being released this week) unless my iPhone 5c is returned to me. The person who found it sent a single text, "I just found this phone on the ground whos phone is it?. I implemented the app ?Find iPhone? on my iPad Mini and activated ?Lost Mode? after several attempts to text and call the device while it was still activated with my mobile number. The app did not locate the device and has shown ?Offline? since Friday. We just posted an add on CraigsList in hopes that the person will return my iPhone 5c. We haven't reported it to the police yet. I learned a lot after reading all your comments about character and lost a little faith in humanity today. I've been giving the benefit-of-the-doubt to the finder of my phone. I've played it over in my head that perhaps they've been too busy, don't know what steps to take, or perhaps it's a young kid who doesn't know that it's a "brick". There were many local area students walking around during the lunch hour last Friday. All this said, I still have high hopes that my situation will have a positive outcome, and will restore my faith in an honest, just, and kind world that would return lost items to their rightful owner...Just like the hours I poured into finding the guy who lost his wallet earlier this year. Still praying. Still hopeful. Miss M~

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner