Major battery issues - iPhone 5 on 7.0.3

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone!

Over the past few weeks I've been experiencing some really erratic battery activity. My phone has been getting to about 10-20% battery and then completely shutting down. Last night it drained from 33% to 15% in a few minutes then **** down before my eyes. Last week, it hit 1% and stayed there (while I played music/web browsed) for almost 2.5 hours. I read on here that completely draining the battery can help recalibrate it. After what happened last night, I thought I better look into this further.

Does anyone know if this is a known issue on iOS 7? I've been looking around and haven't seen anything. I was contemplating going to the Apple store this weekend to talk to them and possibly get a replacement (if that will fix the problem).

I'm open to suggestions and potential fixes. If I did have to take it to the apple store, would I have to pay for a replacement device? I THINK I have about a week left of the original warranty but I also have AppleCare+. Looking for some guidance, oh wise iMore members!!

Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

moloes

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Let me know if my experiences are the same as yours. I've tired everything but no luck, so I'm going to apple Genius Bar tomorrow so they can run some diagnostics to determine if its software or hardware.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
These are exactly the same problems I'm having! I read through your post and it reminded me - last week at work my phone battery jumped from a single percentage to 52% when I plugged it in. If you wouldn't mind, could you send me a PM or post in this thread after you visit the Genius Bar?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

moloes

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
After my visit I will share what the outcome. The thing I'm worried about is if they say its hardware and I pay to get something replaced, to only find out it was the software. Hopefully there diagnostics will show something wether it's good or bad I just was it fixed or just to know that I will have to wait for iOS 7.0.4.

Strange thing is my partner and many of friends have the iphone 5 with the latest software but there not having any issues with iOS 7.0.3. I thought it would have been more wide spread, then again not everyone takes much notice of there battery usage.

kreestole

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same problems. Very erratic behavior, would love to hear how your experience at apple store goes. My closest one is 1 1/2 hours away.

moloes

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Also my phone charges very quickly, I know the iphone isn't sluggish when it comes to charging but mine charges about 10% in 5 to 8 minutes but still slows down when it gets to 80%.

I still think its iOS 7.0.3

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I have a friend who is experiencing the exact same issues as you all described. She does not have AppleCare, and being just outside of the first year of owning the phone, she is hoping for some type of resolution outside of going to the Apple Store if any of you come up with a fix or learn of the cause, will you please post in here. I will be checking back periodically and I thank you.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
My iPhone 5 was shutting down at 20-21% left on the battery and would pick up the charge there when I plugged it in. I haven't let my phone run that low lately, I will today just to see if the issue has persisted.

Blazin' Tap Tap Tappity 2 You

moloes

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Same issues as me. I am visiting the Genius Bar later. I will post what the outcome is after my visit.

tedbearclaw

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I have verizon they did a battery diagnostic test on my phone the battery failed they are sending me out a replacement. Good luck but I have a feeling it is the way you might be heading.

chrisgaza

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
its either the battery needs replacement or there are issues in updating the old iphones to the new OS in terms of battery consumption. since the new OS was made for a 64 bit processor and all. just me musing, nothing official here

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
That was happening on my iPhone to well my other one and I was gonna go apple store and ask them but then I end up replacing my phone cause of an hardware issue with the phone and now I don't really get that with this iPhone 5

moloes

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I have been to the Genius Bar at apple and they ran a dianostic check on my battery and it was showing very low power readings and possible fault with the battery charging. They wasn't 100% confident that the problem was the battery but the battery would benifit from being replaced. For the sake of ?55 and that the iphone 5 was nearly a year old I thought it would be best to replace the battery even If it turns out to be the recent iOS causing the issues at least I now have a new battery now.

So far the battery is going down the percentages at almost the normal rate but I have only discharged it and charged it fully once since the battery was fitted yesterday. I am still 50/50 if it was the battery or iOS 7.0.3.

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
It seems like this is a big issue for iPhone 5 because that use to happen to me before I switched my iPhone 5 for a new one but not because of the battery issue

den124

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
i am having the same problem with my iphone 5 as well. My iphone is a little over a year old but I do have the apple care. Will I have to pay for the battery to be replaced or for a refurbished phone since it seems to be a hardware problem?

goodevening

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
My husband's iPhone 5 is doing the same thing. I have had him run the battery dead, turn the phone off and back on, and do a hard reboot. The last thing I have for him to try is restore as new and he won't do that. I will have to tell him to go visit the apple store. I think his is probably hardware.

Chuck08

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Has been happening to me too. The phone had died before getting close to 1% (usually shuts off around 10%). Today was different though. I didn't even get the 20% warning and it shutdown today.

Question: My phone is not a year old yet (bought in feb 2013) but I did not get AppleCare. Can I just take it in to have it looked at since it is still under warranty? This is the first time I've had an I issue with any apple device since switching over last November (got a mini) so I'm a bit if a newbie in regards to having devices looked at.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods