iPhone 5 battery indicator erratic

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for everyone here providing feedback. Like many of you, strange things with the indicator. Gets to about 30% then dies. So I charge it, then in minutes it is at 40-50%. Hard to get it to fully drain to 1% to reset it.

Will take it to the genius bar to see about testing the battery. If it is the battery, I will have a decision to make. I'd like to wait until fall for a 6 (I have a 5 now), but have been contemplating taking advantage of T-Mobile's breakup offer to dump Verizon. May just to that instead. Then pay 6 months of Jump and get the 6.

jnportfolio

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
i'm really beginning to think it's a software issue. it's not just the erratic battery bar data, my phone usually shuts off around 20% all the time. did all the mambo jumbo stuff and still nothing seems to improve my phone's crazy behavior. i'm about to buy a new battery but with the iPhone 6 coming out this year along with a new software update, i'm going to hold off. but the way iphone advertises their handset as a premiere device, i was expecting this is fixed by now.

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
i'm really beginning to think it's a software issue. it's not just the erratic battery bar data, my phone usually shuts off around 20% all the time. did all the mambo jumbo stuff and still nothing seems to improve my phone's crazy behavior. i'm about to buy a new battery but with the iPhone 6 coming out this year along with a new software update, i'm going to hold off. but the way iphone advertises their handset as a premiere device, i was expecting this is fixed by now.
I don't believe it's a software issue. My phone was shutting of between 15-20% and would restart where it left off when I plugged it in. Apple ran the diagnostic over the phone and determined the battery was bad. I went to the Apple Store and they replaced the battery at no cost to me since it was under a year.

A friend of mine with similar issues had his phone replaced free of charge.

There must have been a bad batch of batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don Ng

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I am running two different iPhone 5s, and just noticed today that the battery life all of a sudden dropped tremendously.
One of the phones was charged to about 45% at 7pm, when its 11pm, its down to 1 percent.
Once i plugged it in, it seems to charges very fast.
Same happened to the other iPhone 5s..
Now i am recharging both to 100%, turning off all applications in the background. 1 set to 3g the other set to 4g to check if its the LTE issue.

If that does not work, i am going to start debugging my email and calendar features..

I used to get 1 day at work without recharging and today its like i have plugged it in non stop and its like dying before my eyes...

Yep and its both on the latest version of IOS..

don

barold

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I've had an issue with my iphone 5 since april of last year - erratic battery meter or would shut itself down and require a plug-in before coming back to life (with % still on the battery).

Unfortunately I finally took it to an apple store last week when it was shutting down at 80% as well - completely unreliable.

Genius runs his diagnostic, and says the battery needs to be replaced. 13 month old phone so no warranty. Runs his spiel on why i should have bought applecare at the time.

I begrudingly pay $90CAN for them to replace the battery (this is my only phone). One week later, I check out the usage tab (charged to full; unplugged in the am) showing 1% (for the last 10 minutes) remaining, 4 hours, 13min of usage, 6 hours 29 min of standby. If this is acceptable stats, then I am looking for another phone that can last through a day of use.

I don't remember USING it for 4 hours (email and some web searches) so I'm curious what is 'working' As an aside, the only thing i've granted background app refresh to is my Nike Running app.

Could this be a hardware issue? (i've only used approved cords; and my sony dock is approved for iPhone5.

Marcus Dehncke

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Over the last week and since updating to iOS 7.0.3 I have noticed my battery has been lingering on certain percentages longer than others percentages. It was dropping quicker than normal on the percentages and then when it lets say get to 60% it will linger there for 10 or more minutes and then continues to go down.

When it got to 25% it dropped suddenly to 20%. I drained my battery completely for the 3rd time and it spent about 15 minutes on 1% while I was playing GTA on with the screen brightness on full.

Is it best for me to restore from backup?

Advice much appreciated.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone 5 32Gb white.

Ya i have had the same issue with my iphone 5 32GB black iphone. I have been thinking it was my battery hope its a software bug.

mayank131

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Hey!
Wow this post has been such an eye opener for me.
Basically Im from India and I was facing the same issue with extremely week battery life.
My battery would drop erratically from 50-10 and 10-1 and would sometimes get stuck on 1 etc.
I took my phone to the Apple Service Center and they informed me my phone was 14 months old and hence not in warranty.
After fiddling with my phone for a while I was told that my phone did not have a battery issue but had a hardware issue.
On asking them what was the solution I was told to pay approximately 400 USD and they would replace my phone with a new one.
I insisted that they check the battery again but they gave me the same answer.
Any sort of help or feedback would be much much appreciated.

Warm Regards,

Mayankk!:smile:

chrisdlong

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I have been having this problem for a while on my 15 month old iphone 5 finally I bit the bullet and bought a replacement battery, installed it myself, now I have no problems with shut offs , crashes etc and almost 2 days usage for a charge!

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

gocubsgirl

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
I have an iPhone 5S with OS 9.2.1 and my battery indicator, not only shows insanely drastic drops... I'm talkin 80% to 7% in a split second, then if I can still reboot, it goes back to 80%!! And this all after it being plugged into a charger all afternoon.

Grrrr...

Rinke Hoekstra

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
I have an iPhone 5S with OS 9.2.1 and my battery indicator, not only shows insanely drastic drops... I'm talkin 80% to 7% in a split second, then if I can still reboot, it goes back to 80%!! And this all after it being plugged into a charger all afternoon.

Grrrr...

Same &:&;??;:& here, please confirm that a battery replacement fixes this. Battery very erratic, sometimes works fine, then drops insanely fast. Especially when playing media with headphones for some obscure reason.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Same &:&;??;:& here, please confirm that a battery replacement fixes this. Battery very erratic, sometimes works fine, then drops insanely fast. Especially when playing media with headphones for some obscure reason.

Definitely a sign of a worn battery. Mine was that way on my iPhone 5.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2