Same here! I've been through many forums and am seeing many reports of this too! My phone never did this on ios 6 and started doing it immediately after the update! The big drops tend to happen near the halfway mark. Mine always occur if I'm using LTE. If I'm on wifi the meter goes down normal. If I'm using the camera or I crank the brightness while playing a game the big chunks come off. But then like right now I'm stuck at 5% and it has been stuck there for 2 hours!! The capacity is the same and I'm getting about the same usage but the meter is calculating drain wrong. I've restored at new a couple times and have drained it down and hard reset and all that stuff. Still happens! Gotta be a software problem! It's been driving me nuts! It's weird how putting in a new battery seems to fix the problem for some people.... Did apple plant a bug where at a certain number of charge cycles the phone is programmed to go bezerk and show the wrong levels in order to score some money off of battery replacements?? Hmmm. I just hope it's fixed in 7.1.
    Yeah I think I'll wait it out till 7.1 is released. Also, since you've mentioned it happening mostly on LTE, it's the same way for me. And most times when I do a hard reset the percentage will go a little higher each time a hard reset is done. There was a day I was on LTE, not moving, and the battery dropped from 41% to 3% in 10 minutes and the phone shut off. I tried to turn the phone back on and it kept saying the charger must be connected. I wasn't anywhere near a power source so I sat the phone down and after a couple minutes the phone came back on with 24%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by trebor8806; 12-17-2013 at 08:17 AM.
    Chrisy likes this.
    12-17-2013 08:01 AM
    I have recently experienced the same issue - mostly when on 4G with my iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.4 and watching a YouTube video: the battery percentage drops by 10% or more in an instant. The moment I plug the phone back, the battery goes up to its previous original level.

I went to the Genius bar yesterday, as my warranty is expiring next week. This was my second visit, and both time, they wanted me to restore the phone as new. I have too much info to lose by doing this, so I would like to know if anyone else has solved whether this is battery related or software related.
    12-18-2013 10:37 AM
    funny you mentioned GTA. I have noticed similar battery behaviour after installing GTA San Andreas. I have romeved it now and will see if it comes back to normal.
    12-19-2013 02:21 AM
    From my experiences and what I see you guys writing too is that there must be a bug. The battery meter always seems to drop weird and fast when something very power demanding is happening such as using cellular data, playing a graphic intensive game, or using the camera. The ios 7.0.4 is calculating the drain wrong and it's causing the meter to drop too fast. I've seen a lot of posts about people's phones shutting off too after doing some of those things. Mine hasn't done that yet but it will get stuck on a percentage after it drastically drops and hang there for sometimes an hour or more and then will start ticking down again. I still manage to get a "normal" runtime out of the battery so I know the capacity is still there. And it was fine before the update. I'm still getting about 1.5 hours less usage than ios6 though will all the battery save tips too. And I've restored as new twice and I've been going though many full charge and discharge cycles. I really wish apple would just come clean and say there is a bug and they are working on it.
    12-19-2013 10:11 AM
    I have recently experienced the same issue - mostly when on 4G with my iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.4 and watching a YouTube video: the battery percentage drops by 10% or more in an instant. The moment I plug the phone back, the battery goes up to its previous original level.

I went to the Genius bar yesterday, as my warranty is expiring next week. This was my second visit, and both time, they wanted me to restore the phone as new. I have too much info to lose by doing this, so I would like to know if anyone else has solved whether this is battery related or software related.
    After restoring my phone as new I still had the percentage problems. I ended up taking my iPhone 5 to the Genius Bar and they did a test with the battery and said it was the problem. They replaced my battery using my AppleCare and after 4 days now I haven't noticed any of the problems I mentioned before.

Chrisy likes this.
    12-22-2013 12:38 PM
    From my experiences and what I see you guys writing too is that there must be a bug. The battery meter always seems to drop weird and fast when something very power demanding is happening such as using cellular data, playing a graphic intensive game, or using the camera. The ios 7.0.4 is calculating the drain wrong and it's causing the meter to drop too fast. I've seen a lot of posts about people's phones shutting off too after doing some of those things. Mine hasn't done that yet but it will get stuck on a percentage after it drastically drops and hang there for sometimes an hour or more and then will start ticking down again. I still manage to get a "normal" runtime out of the battery so I know the capacity is still there. And it was fine before the update. I'm still getting about 1.5 hours less usage than ios6 though will all the battery save tips too. And I've restored as new twice and I've been going though many full charge and discharge cycles. I really wish apple would just come clean and say there is a bug and they are working on it.
    It can't be a software issue. Mine was solved when Apple replaced my battery. No problems since.

Chrisy likes this.
    12-22-2013 12:43 PM
    It can't be a software issue. Mine was solved when Apple replaced my battery. No problems since.

Mine turned out to be battery. Since my battery was replaced 2 months ago it's been fine.
    Chrisy likes this.
    12-30-2013 08:03 PM
    My phone has been replaced entirely, not just the battery.
    I am pretty sure it was caused by GTA San Andreas game. The battery issues stared just after installing the game. It must have some corrupted files.
    The game itself was crashing and I requested refund for the game from app store. I didn't explain why I wanted the refund, nor they asked me why. Refund completed with no questions asked. It is not like Apple to me. They must know they messed up allowing faulty app into the store.
    01-03-2014 10:25 AM
    I've had the same issue. Phone was 10months old and at the time was running ios 6.x. I has hoped the upgrade to ios 7 wod fix it. But no. After trying many things suggested by many people, I took my phone into my carrier. They sent it away to be checked and found the battery "drained slightly faster than normal". That was it. They replaced my phone. Looked new but may have been refurbished.
    Chrisy likes this.
    01-03-2014 07:33 PM
    My phone has been replaced entirely, not just the battery.
    I am pretty sure it was caused by GTA San Andreas game. The battery issues stared just after installing the game. It must have some corrupted files.
    The game itself was crashing and I requested refund for the game from app store. I didn't explain why I wanted the refund, nor they asked me why. Refund completed with no questions asked. It is not like Apple to me. They must know they messed up allowing faulty app into the store.
    I have San Andreas installed on my iPhone 5 but not noticed any problems with my battery draining any quicker. Obviously playing the game will zap your battery quickly but I don't believe the game app is causing the issue your experiencing. Did you delete the game and reinstall just incase.
    01-03-2014 08:27 PM
    I am not talking here battery when in play. I have removed San Andreas long time ago but the battery damage was already done. Irreversibly.
    01-04-2014 02:02 AM
    I am not talking here battery when in play. I have removed San Andreas long time ago but the battery damage was already done. Irreversibly.
    A game nor any other app will not damage the battery.
    01-04-2014 08:31 AM
    A game nor any other app will not damage the battery.
    I agree
    01-04-2014 08:50 PM
    Not the app itself but corrupted file within it. If it can overheat the phone, same way it can destroy the battery.
    01-06-2014 09:50 AM
    I went to the Genius Bar and they ran a diagnostic on my battery and found it was under performing considering how many full cycles it had done. However there battery performance graph didn't indicate that it was a manufacturing fault. Due to my phone being out of its one year warranty I had to pay 55 for them to replace the battery. I didn't mind paying that knowing it will last longer and if I didn't choose to upgrade this September I will have better battery performance than if I hadn't had the battery replaced.

The key thing is it solved my problem.
    Chrisy likes this.
    01-06-2014 12:12 PM
    01-06-2014 12:33 PM
    Thanks for everyone here providing feedback. Like many of you, strange things with the indicator. Gets to about 30% then dies. So I charge it, then in minutes it is at 40-50%. Hard to get it to fully drain to 1% to reset it.

Will take it to the genius bar to see about testing the battery. If it is the battery, I will have a decision to make. I'd like to wait until fall for a 6 (I have a 5 now), but have been contemplating taking advantage of T-Mobile's breakup offer to dump Verizon. May just to that instead. Then pay 6 months of Jump and get the 6.
    Chrisy likes this.
    01-13-2014 08:55 AM
    i'm really beginning to think it's a software issue. it's not just the erratic battery bar data, my phone usually shuts off around 20% all the time. did all the mambo jumbo stuff and still nothing seems to improve my phone's crazy behavior. i'm about to buy a new battery but with the iPhone 6 coming out this year along with a new software update, i'm going to hold off. but the way iphone advertises their handset as a premiere device, i was expecting this is fixed by now.
    Chrisy and iSRS like this.
    01-13-2014 01:43 PM
    i'm really beginning to think it's a software issue. it's not just the erratic battery bar data, my phone usually shuts off around 20% all the time. did all the mambo jumbo stuff and still nothing seems to improve my phone's crazy behavior. i'm about to buy a new battery but with the iPhone 6 coming out this year along with a new software update, i'm going to hold off. but the way iphone advertises their handset as a premiere device, i was expecting this is fixed by now.
    I don't believe it's a software issue. My phone was shutting of between 15-20% and would restart where it left off when I plugged it in. Apple ran the diagnostic over the phone and determined the battery was bad. I went to the Apple Store and they replaced the battery at no cost to me since it was under a year.

A friend of mine with similar issues had his phone replaced free of charge.

There must have been a bad batch of batteries.

Chrisy likes this.
    01-13-2014 01:51 PM
    I am running two different iPhone 5s, and just noticed today that the battery life all of a sudden dropped tremendously.
    One of the phones was charged to about 45% at 7pm, when its 11pm, its down to 1 percent.
    Once i plugged it in, it seems to charges very fast.
    Same happened to the other iPhone 5s..
    Now i am recharging both to 100%, turning off all applications in the background. 1 set to 3g the other set to 4g to check if its the LTE issue.

If that does not work, i am going to start debugging my email and calendar features..

I used to get 1 day at work without recharging and today its like i have plugged it in non stop and its like dying before my eyes...

Yep and its both on the latest version of IOS..

don
    Chrisy likes this.
    01-14-2014 11:40 AM
    I've had an issue with my iphone 5 since april of last year - erratic battery meter or would shut itself down and require a plug-in before coming back to life (with % still on the battery).

Unfortunately I finally took it to an apple store last week when it was shutting down at 80% as well - completely unreliable.

Genius runs his diagnostic, and says the battery needs to be replaced. 13 month old phone so no warranty. Runs his spiel on why i should have bought applecare at the time.

I begrudingly pay $90CAN for them to replace the battery (this is my only phone). One week later, I check out the usage tab (charged to full; unplugged in the am) showing 1% (for the last 10 minutes) remaining, 4 hours, 13min of usage, 6 hours 29 min of standby. If this is acceptable stats, then I am looking for another phone that can last through a day of use.

I don't remember USING it for 4 hours (email and some web searches) so I'm curious what is 'working' As an aside, the only thing i've granted background app refresh to is my Nike Running app.

Could this be a hardware issue? (i've only used approved cords; and my sony dock is approved for iPhone5.
    Chrisy likes this.
    01-15-2014 03:04 PM
    Over the last week and since updating to iOS 7.0.3 I have noticed my battery has been lingering on certain percentages longer than others percentages. It was dropping quicker than normal on the percentages and then when it lets say get to 60% it will linger there for 10 or more minutes and then continues to go down.

When it got to 25% it dropped suddenly to 20%. I drained my battery completely for the 3rd time and it spent about 15 minutes on 1% while I was playing GTA on with the screen brightness on full.

Is it best for me to restore from backup?

Advice much appreciated.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone 5 32Gb white.
    Ya i have had the same issue with my iphone 5 32GB black iphone. I have been thinking it was my battery hope its a software bug.
    01-23-2014 11:28 AM
    Hey!
    Wow this post has been such an eye opener for me.
    Basically Im from India and I was facing the same issue with extremely week battery life.
    My battery would drop erratically from 50-10 and 10-1 and would sometimes get stuck on 1 etc.
    I took my phone to the Apple Service Center and they informed me my phone was 14 months old and hence not in warranty.
    After fiddling with my phone for a while I was told that my phone did not have a battery issue but had a hardware issue.
    On asking them what was the solution I was told to pay approximately 400 USD and they would replace my phone with a new one.
    I insisted that they check the battery again but they gave me the same answer.
    Any sort of help or feedback would be much much appreciated.

Warm Regards,

Mayankk!
    01-24-2014 12:39 AM
    I have been having this problem for a while on my 15 month old iphone 5 finally I bit the bullet and bought a replacement battery, installed it myself, now I have no problems with shut offs , crashes etc and almost 2 days usage for a charge!

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app
    Chrisy likes this.
    01-24-2014 01:12 AM
    May be related to the current version iOS bug. Mine does the same thing.

Chrisy likes this.
    01-24-2014 11:31 PM
54 123