iPhone 5, rapid battery drain under 50%

projectman

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
With all the talk of battery related issues I thought it would be easy to find one to fit my current problem. I could not find one so hopefully, this is not too much of repeat thread.
My one-year old iP5 has been updated to 7.0.3. It runs very well and is in excellent condition, never having been damaged from falls, water dunks or...anything else. The last few days when the battery meter gets below 50% I can literally watch the numbers drop. It went from 49% straight to 39%, immediately then dropping in 5% increments down to around 10%, when it dropped by 1% increments. And then it simply held at 1% for quite some time. I decided to try to "reboot" the phone but it would not restart because apparently they won't start up with just 1% power. I had not been using the phone heavily throughout the day and I am used to having 30-40% power at this time of day so...I really didn't believe the meter. I plugged the phone in and immediately it turned on and had 15% on the battery meter. I unplugged it and replugged it in and it showed 20% power. This didn't seem too unreasonable so I unplugged it and went about the rest of me evening. An hour or so after that it had dropped to 19%, which seemed ridiculous considering I had been using it quite a bit. Over 2 hours later when I was wrapping up my day it still had 19% power. So...I plugged it in and it had the usual 100% when I woke up this morning. This routine has actually occurred twice since updating to 7.0.3. I have not added any apps and nothing odd about my routine. My IT guy (it is a work phone) says he does not believe a clean install of the OS would solve this problem.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

RBBB

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I have had similar issues, I finally tried letting it run down on power til it shut off and then charged it up fully. It seems to have helped. I have read it resets the battery meter logic in the software. Previously I did a restore and it did not help at all. Mine would stay at 1% for hours, it would also drop as you looked at it.

projectman

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I have had similar issues, I finally tried letting it run down on power til it shut off and then charged it up fully. It seems to have helped. I have read it resets the battery meter logic in the software. Previously I did a restore and it did not help at all. Mine would stay at 1% for hours, it would also drop as you looked at it.

Certainly sounds like my issue. Interestingly enough, that is exactly what I have been trying to do the last couple days. I will keep pushing it that direction and see if it helps. Thanks.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
There really isn't much you can do about a battery drain besides turning your background app refresh off and turning auto brightness off. Also, close your apps when you are finished with them.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

moloes

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Sounds very similar to my problem. Since iOS 7.0.3 I believe my battery indicator has developed a problem. First I noticed the percentages were dropping in large increments while the phone was in standby and in use. My indicator was showing 82% then suddenly dropped to 75% then it dropped to 73% at normal pace to then hang at 73 for 15 mins to then start dropping quickly again.

It became more apparent when the battery indicator was on 52% before I started videoing and 2:30 mins into recording a video the 20% low battery warning popped up on my screen. Then another minute later it displayed the 10% warning. 15 mins after finishing the video my percentage was on 7 and when I plugged it in to charge and the battery jumped to 42% instantly.

A week ago I restored from back up and reset all settings but this happened again today, so now I have restored my phone from iTunes in DFU mode as a new device not from backup. Hopefully this works because I am confident my battery is ok it's the battery indicator software at fault. I still believe it could be iOS 7.0.3. I will update when I have had a few days of charge cycles and usage.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2