When does the countdown for warranty start?

bahandi

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hope this is the right place.

I'm looking at buying a sealed, unused iPhone 5 off Kijiji. The seller claims that Apple's one year warranty doesn't start until it is registered to the network. Makes sense.

I called my local Apple Store and the rep I spoke to claims that the warranty starts counting down as soon as the phone leaves the warehouse. Also makes sense.

Does anyone know which side I should believe? Is my only option getting the seller to confirm there is still warranty on the device?

I'd hate to deal with an issue and find out the warranty has expired on the device when I haven't owned it for a year.

If anyone has any insight on how I should proceed, I would greatly appreciate it.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Get the device's MEDI from the seller... check it on one of the many sites you can look-up lock status, etc. and get a warranty status too.

bahandi

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Get the device's MEDI from the seller... check it on one of the many sites you can look-up lock status, etc. and get a warranty status too.

Seller is reluctant to release that kind of info, understandable. I suppose that means I'll have to get the seller to verify the warranty for me.

Jose Hidaka

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hope this is the right place.

I'm looking at buying a sealed, unused iPhone 5 off Kijiji. The seller claims that Apple's one year warranty doesn't start until it is registered to the network. Makes sense.

I called my local Apple Store and the rep I spoke to claims that the warranty starts counting down as soon as the phone leaves the warehouse. Also makes sense.

Does anyone know which side I should believe? Is my only option getting the seller to confirm there is still warranty on the device?

I'd hate to deal with an issue and find out the warranty has expired on the device when I haven't owned it for a year.

If anyone has any insight on how I should proceed, I would greatly appreciate it.

As soon as you activate it, in other words you can buy an iphone, store it for a year, then open it and activate it for the first time and you will have 1 yr of warranty left.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
The warranty starts the date of original purchase. Apple knows the date by the serial number, not the IMEI number. You can enter the serial number on Apple's website and see how much warranty is remaining.

To get the serial number go to settings -> general -> about -> scroll down.

bahandi

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
As soon as you activate it, in other words you can buy an iphone, store it for a year, then open it and activate it for the first time and you will have 1 yr of warranty left.

Exactly as the seller claims.

The warranty starts the date of original purchase. Apple knows the date by the serial number, not the IMEI number. You can enter the serial number on Apple's website and see how much warranty is remaining.

To get the serial number go to settings -> general -> about -> scroll down.

Similar to the Apple Store's claim?

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
The only way to know for sure is to run the serial number through Apple. It is Apple's warranty, after all... Everything else is "he said, she said" and doesn't count for much.

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...products%2Fiphone-english.html&token=AmhuJxit

Apple Inc. said:
Apple Inc. of One Infinite Loop, Cupertino, California, U.S.A. 95014 (“Apple”) warrants the Apple-branded iPhone, iPad or iPod hardware product and accessories contained in the original packaging (“Apple Product”) against defects in materials and workmanship when used normally in accordance with Apple's published guidelines for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of original retail purchase by the end-user purchaser ("Warranty Period").

Last edited:

bahandi

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

plantemichel

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
As soon has it's registered with an Apple ID !!! That's what happen with the iPad mini sealed I bought from kijiji for My Wife.😄

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk - now Free

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Yup. And as stated, seller won't give up the info. Oh well. He's decided to sell it to someone else. My loss, but I wish I could have found out the real answer.

He don't have to give up the info have him run it and send you a screen shot he can cover the serial before he send it's to you ... I post this when I sell iPhones all the time