LTE Connectivity Issues?

pjcloninger

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I'll try to make this as short as possible...

My wife and I (and several family members) have an iPhone 5 on Sprint. Since purchasing the phones in Feb., I have left "Enable LTE" turned off, since I assumed we didn't have it and I could save battery. Recently, several family members and friends have been telling me they almost always have LTE coverage throughout Greater Knoxville. This was also confirmed by checking Sensorly (map attached), which shows most of the area saturated with Sprint LTE. My wife and mother (both with iPhone 5's on Sprint) can turn LTE on and immediately connect with no issues and great service. If I try, standing right next to them, my phone will not. All mine will do is switch between 3G and 1X. I have even tried in other areas/cities with Sprint LTE and have never been able to connect to it.

Additional info:

Unlike the other members of my family, my phone drops multiple calls and has much more connectivity issues.

Here is what I've tried so far:

1 Restart phone
2 Toggle LTE on and off
3 Reset network settings
4 Dial ##UPDATE# and ##CLEAR#
5 Call Sprint....Was told since LTE was not "officially announced" here, there is nothing they can do. (This was after explaining what I just wrote above)
6 Went to Apple Store. They ran a diagnostic and said nothing seemed wrong.

I truly feel like something isn't right, but I can't get anyone else to see that, lol.

Any comments or insights would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Knoxville LTE coverage.JPG
    Knoxville LTE coverage.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 31

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
All that is left to do is backup your device via iCloud and/or iTunes (Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes), put your device in DFU mode and then restore it. Afterwards, choose to set the device as new when prompted. Do not install any apps or restore from a backup yet. Check to see if you have LTE service. If so, either continue setting your device up manually or go ahead and restore the backup you just made. If not, make a genius bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store and explain the situation to them.

pjcloninger

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
All that is left to do is backup your device via iCloud and/or iTunes (Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes), put your device in DFU mode and then restore it. Afterwards, choose to set the device as new when prompted. Do not install any apps or restore from a backup yet. Check to see if you have LTE service. If so, either continue setting your device up manually or go ahead and restore the backup you just made. If not, make a genius bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store and explain the situation to them.

Thanks!

I will try setting up as new and see what happens.

I did go to the Apple store last night and had them check. They ran a diagnostic and said everything looked good.

Just frustrated that I can't figure it out.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks!

I did go to the Apple store last night and had them check. They ran a diagnostic and said everything looked good.

I hear ya, and I know I would be the exact same way, and that is why I am quick to restore as new if I run into problems with my Apple devices.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Thanks!

If restoring it as new does not fix the problem then go back to Apple and keep complaining until they replace it for you.

pjcloninger

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't able to do the reset today, but should be able to tomorrow. I'll be sure to update as I go.

I thought for sure somebody else would've had a similar problem.

Thanks so far!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
One thing to try before doing the full blown restore: go to Settings... General... Reset... Reset Network Settings

pjcloninger

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
One thing to try before doing the full blown restore: go to Settings... General... Reset... Reset Network Settings

Thanks Keith. That was actually one of the first few things I did. I also tried ##UPDATE# and ##CLEAR#. I even went as far as calling Sprint and have them reset on their end, although they were reluctant and told me there was no problem.

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Have sprint change your SIM card. Usually LTE provisioning is done through that and it's necessary for your phone to connect to the LTE network.

pjcloninger

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Ok, this is just a quick update for anyone who was following...

After multiple phone calls and trips to Sprint, I think I have narrowed down the issue to a discrepancy in the SIM card number that is in my phone and the one Sprint has on file. When I called Sprint to have them update their system with my actual SIM card number, they stated that number shows that it is active on another device. For the record, this phone was purchased new from Sprint and the SIM card came with it.

I have an appointment at the Apple store tomorrow morning to see if they will swap my SIM card with a new one

The saga continues...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods