Should I leave LTE on of off?

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I recently had a Apple store employee tell me it's best to leave LTE off unless your downloading large files. Any opinions...does everyone feel the same?

Thank you.

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Re: LTE on or off...

Oh really? Lol haha man anything below LTE wastes your battery away.

LTE is battery friendly on the 5/ 5S

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

i just use my phone as it was intended

don't want to micro manage that too

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

The only reason to turn off LTE is if you are in an area where there is no LTE service, or - you're in a fringe area... but if you're in good coverage - that advice is poppycock.

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site

The only reason to turn off LTE is if you are in an area where there is no LTE service, or - you're in a fringe area... but if you're in good coverage - that advice is poppycock.

Thanks. I was just wondering what the iMore masses thought. I'm turning it back on.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site

Thanks. I was just wondering what the iMore masses thought. I'm turning it back on.

If you have 4-5 bars of LTE, then it uses less battery. If less and if you device is searching for better service, then it will use more battery than HSPA+/3G.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
It'll save battery because you won't have that additional radio connected or searching for signal. I wouldn't recommend turning it off though. Going from 25+ Mbps to less than 5 will definitely show when web browsing.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I recently had a Apple store employee tell me it's best to leave LTE off unless your downloading large files. Any opinions...does everyone feel the same?

Thank you.

It's recommended to switch off LTE to save battery and to avoid going over your data plan. It's up to you weather you wanna take the advice.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
There really is no need to turn LTE off unless you're in an area that doesn't have a very good LTE signal, or you have no LTE available at all. Otherwi8se, I would say it is perfectly fine to leave it on. I always leave LTE on on my iPhone 5 and now 5S. Both iPhones continue to have great battery life even with LTE always on.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

Thank you.

I leave it off. AT&T's HSPA+ is plenty fast in my area and I get noticeably better battery life using that instead of LTE. There is no LTE in my home city at this time.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I have not seen a difference on or off... But as others mentioned, if signal is week, 4G or 3G the battery will go fast...

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
If you have good coverage?which is different than just having coverage in general?should actually help provide for better battery life. So IF you have good coverage I'd leave it on.

vic236

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
Great forum, I checked this bcs I wanted to do what was right. But it seems a fight between saving your battery life on the bases of you manually turning on/off LTE depending on your signal strength. REALLY!! in today's technology you would think Apple, Samsung and all the rest would have this sorted. I am a user I don't give a ......, my time is worth more.
I assess the phone and it's performance to my use and needs, and when it fails I throw it out do not buy it again. And then give it a bad rep on forums, see simple.
Then everyone else can either chose to buy it based on it faults to not deliver or choose to buy something else.

rubyvelic

Sep 6, 2019
Visit site

Thank you.

Hi please turn off LTE I had turned on I didn’t know I had the poorest service and data ever in mine life I called customer service no one told me or helped me so I decided to go on settings and play but I didn’t had good service or internet at all when I turned LTE off now my service and data is awesome

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi please turn off LTE I had turned on I didn’t know I had the poorest service and data ever in mine life I called customer service no one told me or helped me so I decided to go on settings and play but I didn’t had good service or internet at all when I turned LTE off now my service and data is awesome

Welcome to iMore

This Thread is 4 to 6 years old so back then LTE was in its infant stage.

What device are you using as well as your service provider so we can better help you?

amandaewriting

Sep 2, 2021
Visit site
Welcome to iMore

This Thread is 4 to 6 years old so back then LTE was in its infant stage.

I’m going to resurrect this thread further because the person’s post helped.

I have been having no internet access on my iPhone XR when using LTE in the last few months for some reason. I tried nearly every solution and then decided just to see what would happen if I switched my phone back to 3G.

Well, I have internet access again by switching to 3G. Strangely enough, it isn’t as slow as I remember it being. (Maybe because so few use it now?)

Note: My LTE service in our area is between 2-3 bars, usually only 2, and it used to work fine until a few months ago. Switching to 3G, now I can actually search and load webpages when before it would time out or send up some strange error.

So even in 2021, though ridiculous (because now there is 5G!), it is still helpful advice!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73