one year old iPhone > one year old Android?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
it will be a few months before i get the 5s but it sure is nice to know that i still have an up to date device in my hand (iP5)

can the same be said about a one year old Android?

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
it will be a few months before i get the 5s but it sure is nice to know that i still have an up to date device in my hand (iP5)

Oh no why why BLiNK why??

Carried by a raven from the Wall.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

And that my friend is one reason why I love Apple so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
It would be cool but switching phone every year.. Think that's to fast I still have my 5 since last oct and love it still not gonna upgrade till probably iPhone 6

Armada

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Threads like these are why the term "iSheep" exists. As an Android user reading this just made me groan. I can t ell you all of my friend's one year old Android devices are up to date. And my 2 year old device is up to date. I have other select words I'll keep to myself.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Threads like these are why the term "iSheep" exists. As an Android user reading this just made me groan. I can t ell you all of my friend's one year old Android devices are up to date. And my 2 year old device is up to date. I have other select words I'll keep to myself.

So, why are you here? To "stir the pot"? Toss about invectives like "iSheep" to inflame people? I just don't get why some people who favor other mobile device platforms are compelled to show up in a forum dedicated to a platform they don't have or favor... maybe even harbor dislike for... to act like... well, you. I just don't get it. Last thing I'd do is show up at any of the other Mobile Nations sites and do there what you're doing here.

Last edited:

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site

Let me fix this for you so it sounds less condescending.

"As a matter of fact, yes.
Google Nexus typically gets current os updates for x years.
My 2 year old [insert device] is running the latest version of android.
Among my circle of friends their one year old [insert devices] also have the latest version installed"

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
It would be cool but switching phone every year.. Think that's to fast I still have my 5 since last oct and love it still not gonna upgrade till probably iPhone 6
I actually still have my 4S from Nov.2011, and I'm just considering upgrading to the 5C next month. I'd like to, but at the same time I'm on the fence about it because I love my 4S, it runs flawless and iOS7 just made it that much more great to me for my needs:) SO, come next month I may just by-pass upgrading again (as did the 5) and wait till next year for the next new phone....idk. I'm not under any pressure to jump because I'm in a happy place right now:D

Armada

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
So, why are you here? To "stir the pot"? Toss about invectives like "iSheep" to inflame people? I just don't get why some people who favor other mobile device platforms are compelled to show up in a forum dedicated to a platform they don't have or favor... maybe even harbor dislike for... to act like... well, you. I just don't get it. Last thing I'd do is show up at any of the other Mobile Nations sites and do there what you're doing here.

I had a reply here but I've elected to just discuss it over PM instead of in a public forum. I'm sorry if I implied that BLiNK, or any other iMore user was an "iSheep." I didn't mean it as such.

Let me fix this for you so it sounds less condescending.

"As a matter of fact, yes.
Google Nexus typically gets current os updates for x years.
My 2 year old [insert device] is running the latest version of android.
Among my circle of friends their one year old [insert devices] also have the latest version installed"

I agree, it probably was condescending. Everyone has strong opinions, though. I was so concerned about replying with another side I may have been a bit rude.

Last edited:

Alik Malix

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site

Hers's one for ya: I'm still rocking my iPhone 3GS - this is nearly a 5 year old phone, water drowned twice, screen cracked 3 times. It is working, most tasks are smooth (1000+ photos and not a hiccup in scrolling, battery is great) got all the 6.1.3 iOS version, which was current up to a couple weeks ago (not months or years). Only two games that I play don't run on it, RR3 and Nitro from Z2. But lists of late games are great - like FNF 6 and RR2. I got ICloud, Copy/Paste, multitasking, find my iPhone, Voice commands and Google now (Siri used to run before apple bought it), iMessage, etc. the only time I wanted an upgrade was after my camera got a drop of water in it (the second time dropped it into water). It still takes pictures, but I have to hold the camera certain way, lol. It was a well made $200 investment.

iPhone 5s is built upon a 64bit architecture - the new future proof phone for me, as soon as I break free from the correct project - I'm getting that expect to own it for the next 5 years. No way could I do that with android. I got a relative that had 8 phones (that I know of) in the same time period as I had my 3GS - one iPhone "killer" after another, I'm pretty sure his rooted Samsung S3 finally was the iPhone 3GS killer.

My wife got the iPhone 5 this year, we no longer own a camera - so that's another reason I need a new phone. Other then that I can see myself using my 3GS another year - I still will - it makes an awesome wifi music player for the garage.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Hers's one for ya: I'm still rocking my iPhone 3GS - this is nearly a 5 year old phone, water drowned twice, screen cracked 3 times. It is working, most tasks are smooth (1000+ photos and not a hiccup in scrolling, battery is great) got all the 6.1.3 iOS version, which was current up to a couple weeks ago (not months or years). Only two games that I play don't run on it, RR3 and Nitro from Z2. But lists of late games are great - like FNF 6 and RR2. I got ICloud, Copy/Paste, multitasking, find my iPhone, Voice commands and Google now (Siri used to run before apple bought it), iMessage, etc. the only time I wanted an upgrade was after my camera got a drop of water in it (the second time dropped it into water). It still takes pictures, but I have to hold the camera certain way, lol. It was a well made $200 investment.

iPhone 5s is built upon a 64bit architecture - the new future proof phone for me, as soon as I break free from the correct project - I'm getting that expect to own it for the next 5 years. No way could I do that with android. I got a relative that had 8 phones (that I know of) in the same time period as I had my 3GS - one iPhone "killer" after another, I'm pretty sure his rooted Samsung S3 finally was the iPhone 3GS killer.

My wife got the iPhone 5 this year, we no longer own a camera - so that's another reason I need a new phone. Other then that I can see myself using my 3GS another year - I still will - it makes an awesome wifi music player for the garage.

Deviating from the thread a bit, but have to compliment you for sticking with that 3GS for so long. I hope the 5S will be the 3GS for me.

Armada

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Apple does make a long lasting product. The only bad experience I've ever had was the 2007 Intel iMac. It died a slow, pixely death. The iPhone 3GS will beat most Android devices from the same era hands down. I'd say this notion changes post Jelly Bean, though. I can't ask more of my Galaxy Nexus... Except for battery life which is why I'm looking at the iPhone. My old Acer tablet is still getting support by the community longer after Acer did. It runs even better than when I bought it new. That's one thing Android can do better: community support.

That can't be said of every device though, and that's where Apple shines. Their first party support is bar none. Android OEMs really don't have that long term support partly because they don't have Apple's clout when it comes to carriers. The other part is selling new devices. Apple values ecosystem over selling devices (for good reason).

Certainly, each side has value. This is what I was trying to inject earlier. A stimulating discussion from varying points of view instead of many agreements. Sorry for being a jerk earlier.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I had a reply here but I've elected to just discuss it over PM instead of in a public forum. I'm sorry if I implied that BLiNK, or any other iMore user was an "iSheep." I didn't mean it as such.

I agree, it probably was condescending. Everyone has strong opinions, though. I was so concerned about replying with another side I may have been a bit rude.

Okay. :cool:

diesteldorf

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I think Apple was supporting the Iphone 3g up until a year ago. Considering the phone was more than 2 years old at that point, I thought that was pretty cool.

mynameis

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

Exactly my thought. It seems like every android phone has a different OS and get different OS's every other month. I like change, but I don't like that much change.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
One thing I can't stand about android is it's lack of user friendly habits.
And the whole updating thing. If I bought a samsung galaxy s 3, then the new samsung came out a year later , it would be a drag trying to update the phone. Some features won't work as efficiently on the older device. Unlike with apple , my old iPhone 5 works seamlessly with iOS 7. That's something samsung gotta work on.

diesteldorf

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Nexus 4 running the latest 4.3

Sit down son.

I think part of Android's problem is that there are so many manufacturers that make Android phones and they are the ones that decide whether to release updates.

The Apple Iphone is Apple's phone and because everything is in house, they can release updates timely and directly to the consumer.

The Nexus 4 is Google's phone, and, while made by LG, was designed with Google's specifications, so they can easily release updates directly to the consumer.

I'll be curious to see how fast the new Moto X gets updates, since it wasn't designed directly by Google, but Moto is owned by Google.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2