I have a big problem.

bxnextel86

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
So I was looking on cl looking to buy a iPhone. And some guy was selling a iPhone 5 for 250 but he said he could get pass the activation screen. So I didn't think nothing of it. So I go the apple store to get a SIM card. So when I try to put my password it said wrong password. I was like what. The apple guy said to try again. And that when he ask me did I buy it second hand. In my mind I was like why it matter. I said yes and that when I saw that Apple ID in xxxxx and to please log in to that account. Is there any way to fix this. Bc if I knew it was stolen I would have never bought. And I just lost 250

bxnextel86

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Also before I bought it. I called twice to apple and give them the imei number. Bc the numbers are in the back of the phone. And they said the phone is still in warranty and that I am fine in buying it.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
So I was looking on cl looking to buy a iPhone. And some guy was selling a iPhone 5 for 250 but he said he could get pass the activation screen. So I didn't think nothing of it. So I go the apple store to get a SIM card. So when I try to put my password it said wrong password. I was like what. The apple guy said to try again. And that when he ask me did I buy it second hand. In my mind I was like why it matter. I said yes and that when I saw that Apple ID in xxxxx and to please log in to that account. Is there any way to fix this. Bc if I knew it was stolen I would have never bought. And I just lost 250

Does that phone have iOS 7 on it? Sounds like the Activation Lock / lockout... which Apple implemented with iOS 7 to address the stolen iPhone thing... without the Apple ID password, there is NO WAY to use the phone. Ever. Even Apple can?t/won't do it.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
First you should contact the person that sold it to you they might be the real owner and didn't understand how to set up an iOS 7 phone for sale

If it was a legal sale all he has to do is enter his Apple ID and password

Sent from my iPhone 5

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Okay I want to swappa.com and it say that the esn is clean and ready to be activation

That my friend is activation lock .. Only advise I can give you is if you can pled your case to apple or get them to swap it for some defect in the phone .. Maybe prove to them it's not stolen or something

bxnextel86

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I am talking to them right. I think they may check with AT&T to see if it not stolen. I will never again buy a iPhone from cl.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I am talking to them right. I think they may check with AT&T to see if it not stolen. I will never again buy a iPhone from cl.

Unfortunately for you, the Activation Lock is doing exactly what it is supposed to do - keep the non-owner out of the phone. The problem here is that you are an innocent victim. The thief was able to move the stolen phone... this story now has TWO victims.

Last edited:

bxnextel86

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately for you, the Activation Lock is doing exactly what it is supposed to do - keep the non-owner out of the phone. The problem here is that you are an innocent victim. The thief was able to move the stolen phone... this story now has TWO victims.

I have some good news. So last night I was on the PC for like 6 straight hours looking for answer. So like at 3 I email the guy and I played him. I made up a story and said I just came back from the police station by my house. I give them your iCloud email and phone. And if you used a third party app for your number( a lot of people use google voice etc to sell on cl) the cop can still trace the IP address. So please I just need the guy information. So give it to me and u be fine. And when I woke this morning. He blow my phone. A lot of miss calls and texts and voicemail. He was like please don't lock me up please. Come and I give u ur money back. Thank god.

But I just learn a lesson. For the next time how do I know if the phone is good. Do I tell the seller to do a factory reset in front of me.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I have some good news. So last night I was on the PC for like 6 straight hours looking for answer. So like at 3 I email the guy and I played him. I made up a story and said I just came back from the police station by my house. I give them your iCloud email and phone. And if you used a third party app for your number( a lot of people use google voice etc to sell on cl) the cop can still trace the IP address. So please I just need the guy information. So give it to me and u be fine. And when I woke this morning. He blow my phone. A lot of miss calls and texts and voicemail. He was like please don't lock me up please. Come and I give u ur money back. Thank god.

But I just learn a lesson. For the next time how do I know if the phone is good. Do I tell the seller to do a factory reset in front of me.

Great news... and a good ending. It was a tough lesson, but glad it worked out for you!

In the future, at the very least, yes, make sure he does a factory wipe/reset with you present so you can observe... some people prefer to meet CraigsList sellers in safe places - like a police station parking lot, or a wireless provider's store - go into the store and have them activate the phone with the seller present, before handing over the money. If he’s legit, he won’t mind. It will also verify to him that you’re legit and won’t try to pull something a day or two later...

dmt316

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Did you by chance email the Apple ID to let him know what was going on? Or did the id not show up?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Glad it worked for you

Hopefully this thread doesn't stop anyone from buying from CL. I've sold many phones on CL and always lend support in way of setup questions and I'm sure many folks have gotten great deals on phones.

Just need to do your homework and ask lots of questions don't jump on a deal because you think it will be gone if you wait there will always be another

Sent from my iPhone 5

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Glad it worked for you

Hopefully this thread doesn't stop anyone from buying from CL. I've sold many phones on CL and always lend support in way of setup questions and I'm sure many folks have gotten great deals on phones.

Just need to do your homework and ask lots of questions don't jump on a deal because you think it will be gone if you wait there will always be another

Sent from my iPhone 5

Yes, kataran, there is nothing inherently wrong with buying/selling on CraigsList... but it does require one to shop/sell intelligently. And ALWAYS make the exchange of goods and cash in a safe, well populated place. Someone here suggested a police station parking lot - which I think is a genius move.

Remember the adage: a fool and his money are soon parted.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Glad it worked for you

Sent from my iPhone 5

Agreed...I have used craigslist many times for buying, selling, and trading phones. It is a great community if you are careful, and as stated above the best thing is to meet at a provider's store and make sure everything is ok, legal, and looks good.

Glad to hear you were able to get it taken care of.

bxnextel86

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Okay I need help. Am going to met another guy soon. He said his sprint iPhone is new. Okay. So if the ios is 6 then I am fine. But if it 7. How do I make sure it clean. Please I don't want to make the Sam mistake

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Okay I need help. Am going to met another guy soon. He said his sprint iPhone is new. Okay. So if the ios is 6 then I am fine. But if it 7. How do I make sure it clean. Please I don't want to make the Sam mistake

Meet him at a sprint store. That would probably be the best bet. Have them check it out prior to forking over the cash.