What to do with Brand New Iphone 5?

Vapor86

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
My apologizes if this is the wrong place to post this and I didn't see any other threads on this page. I am not new to the selling of the iphone at all, but I just found myself in an interesting position and wanted to see if anyone here who has sold there iphone 5 may know what the best course of action would be.

I got my 5s yesterday and instead of selling my near flawless 64gb black verizon iphone 5 for about $350 (that is about what gazelle and verizon offered me) I was just going to give it to my dad. However, I brought it into Apple yesterday because the front camera wouldn't work (would freeze every time immediately) they said they would replace the front glass, but that didn't fix it, so they gave me a brand new (refurbished i assume) iphone 5 and I always keep my originally box and accessories in them so I essentially have a brand new iphone 5. I took a quick peak on ebay and they seem to go for about $550-600? I don't know why anyone would pay that much for the 5 with the 5s out now, but what do you guys recommend I do? I was thinking of trying to sell it for about $500-$550, he can trade in his 4s, and then just get him a new 32gb iphone 5s.

Vapor86

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
I should also add that I don't have an ebay account, and I am not sure if creating a new account to sell an expensive product like an iphone is sketchy, but I absolutely hate selling them on craigslist, ebay, etc. So many back and forth emails, people always asking for less, the fake emails, etc. In the past I would usually sell my old iphone or ipad on gazelle or somewhere similar a month before the announcement of the new product (where I don't have to ship until 2 months later) I found that I usually get a good amount of money and selling elsewhere would only net $50 more max (plus the hassle of time, email responses, etc), but since this is a new iphone I am not sure.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
You would think you should be able to get that much for a 64GB but the value of the 5 has slipped a little especially now since the 5C is $549 or $649 off contract.

I have a 32GB 5 in near mint condition put it up on eBay, didn't even get close to my reserve of $600 which was probably to high. One of the members on here sold his 64GB 5 and got under $500 for it. It's a toss up really I would suggest doing swappa.com or Craigslist as well.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I should also add that I don't have an ebay account, and I am not sure if creating a new account to sell an expensive product like an iphone is sketchy, but I absolutely hate selling them on craigslist, ebay, etc. So many back and forth emails, people always asking for less, the fake emails, etc. In the past I would usually sell my old iphone or ipad on gazelle or somewhere similar a month before the announcement of the new product (where I don't have to ship until 2 months later) I found that I usually get a good amount of money and selling elsewhere would only net $50 more max (plus the hassle of time, email responses, etc), but since this is a new iphone I am not sure.

You've been around long enough and got enough posts to qualify to make use of the iMore Marketplace forum... just follow the rules... :)

Oofa

May 25, 2013
Visit site
The iPhone 5 is still pretty relevant and many people are looking for one. Not everyone is impressed by the 5s and 5c. You can certainly sell it on eBay even if it's your first sale. Just make sure to offer easy returns and price it reasonably. Which should be somewhere around $50-$75 above what Gazelle offers. Remember that the price sellers list the phone at, is not necessarily the price it sells for. Check for recently sold phones on eBay and you can see what they actually sold for.

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm in a similar situation. I just got my iPhone 5 replaced on warranty. I thought they replace defective units with refurbs, but the Genius said it's a new one. Mine is the same as yours except it's a 16GB model. My current plan is to hang on to it (I barely ever use it) and see if the value goes up in a month or so. The value seems to have dropped this week.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I sold my 5 16gb on eBay for 430 so I would say u can get 500 easy .. Also try GameStop they were offering me 325 for my 16

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

jcash74

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I just bought an unlocked 64gb iPhone 5 for $440 shipped. You should get a little more than that due to it being a "new" replacement.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR