Cellular Data Question?

ajg83

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm new to ios and new to this forum so sorry if this has already been covered. Anyway I'm coming from Android and I would often disable the cellular data network to save a ton of battery. Doing so I would still be able to send and receive text messages and also I would be able to make and receive phone calls. I'm just wondering if this is the same with ios? I have disabled the cellular data network a few times and sometimes I will get some of my text messages but some other times I will re-enable the data and I will get a lot of text messages coming one right after another. So I'm wondering if I have a setting that's off or something. Thanks in advance for any help.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You can... but - doing that will disable iMessages - anything you send to other iDevice owners would go over your cellular text/sms messaging rather than Apple's iMessage system... but you should try and not do that and see if you can have the battery life you're looking to get just running the iPhone as it is, out of the box first.

ajg83

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the reply, I think I will try to use the phone out of the box as it was intended and see what kind of battery life I get. I will probably only disable the network when I'm in an area where I have little to no service that way my battery won't die so quick.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
When I called out last Monday I was testing things out and turned off cellular data since I was going to be at home on wi-fi all day. I sent my boss a text at 5:55am to tell him I wasn't coming in. He responded at 6:51am but I didn't get it until around 2:30pm when I turned cellular data back on when I left the house. I don't mind turning off cellular data when i'm going to be connected to wi-fi but with that one occurrence I'm nervous about being able to receive texts.

I tested it with phone calls just now by calling my cell from my desk phone and the call came through... :raised-eyebrow:

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I haven't turned off cellular, but have turned off wifi in non wifi area's for battery. But haven't seen much of a difference. By I really haven't had many issues with battery any ways.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I haven't turned off cellular, but have turned off wifi in non wifi area's for battery. But haven't seen much of a difference. By I really haven't had many issues with battery any ways.

Didn't really do it for battery necessarily. But I have gotten into the habit of turning off things that I'm not using like having wi-fi and bluetooth off right now because I'm at work (wi-fi) and not in my vehicle (bluetooth).

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Didn't really do it for battery necessarily. But I have gotten into the habit of turning off things that I'm not using like having wi-fi and bluetooth off right now because I'm at work (wi-fi) and not in my vehicle (bluetooth).

I hear you, not a bad idea.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2