Hi all!

Here's the sitch...I've got an iPhone 5 with a failing power button. I've been holding off having it fixed via warranty because it isn't THAT bad and I'm covered till December. Now I've gone and broke the screen on the phone. I've read that fixing the screen yourself (how can they tell anyway?) voids the warranty. I'm I screwed or what? Thx

I play with my food
    09-13-2013 03:18 PM
    Hi all!

Here's the sitch...I've got an iPhone 5 with a failing power button. I've been holding off having it fixed via warranty because it isn't THAT bad and I'm covered till December. Now I've gone and broke the screen on the phone. I've read that fixing the screen yourself (how can they tell anyway?) voids the warranty. I'm I screwed or what? Thx

I play with my food
    You stand a pretty good chance of getting it replaced without much question, especially since that problem is VERY common, and they've probably see a hundred or more come into their store...don't mention the screen replacement, explain the issue, if they ask and you don't mind lying just say "Nope!", but I highly doubt they'll ask.

Good luck with it!
    09-13-2013 04:21 PM
    Hey Sean! Thx for the reply. You're saying I should just go ahead and replace the screen and then give AC a call and hope for the best? Thanks again.

I play with my food
    09-13-2013 04:36 PM
    Hey Sean! Thx for the reply. You're saying I should just go ahead and replace the screen and then give AC a call and hope for the best? Thanks again.

I play with my food
    Chances are good that they won't ask if you replaced the screen or not. Therefore you don't need to tell them that part. Just explain about the power button and they'll more than likely swap it right out for you.

Sent from my iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app
    09-13-2013 05:42 PM
    But if you have AppleCare, you can just take it to them and they may give you a new one because the home button wasn't working or worst case yon use one of your AppleCare replacements for $50. Which is still probably cheaper than the parts needed to fix the screen yourself.
    09-13-2013 06:03 PM
    Wow, thanks so much for all the replies guys I really appreciate the help!

I just ordered a screen so as soon as it arrives I'll pop it on using Allyson's super duper guide and give Applecare a call. I'll let you know how it turns out :-)

I play with my food
    09-13-2013 06:10 PM
    Wow, thanks so much for all the replies guys I really appreciate the help!

I just ordered a screen so as soon as it arrives I'll pop it on using Allyson's super duper guide and give Applecare a call. I'll let you know how it turns out :-)

I play with my food
    No problem..... Just one thing, though. You might want to stop playing with your food long enough to change the screen or it could make for a messy job.

Sophos likes this.
    09-13-2013 06:21 PM
    No problem..... Just one thing, though. You might want to stop playing with your food long enough to change the screen or it could make for a messy job. http://smileys.on-my-web.com/reposit.../happy-084.gif

Lol, I will definitely keep that in mind !

I play with my food.........when not replacing iPhone screens
    Eileen89 likes this.
    09-13-2013 06:27 PM
    Update: Screen replaced (the first one I ordered was faulty) and AppleCare claim filed. The new phone should be here fri/mon.....now I just cross my fingers that when I ship the defective phone back they don't decide to charge me full retail!
    10-02-2013 04:09 PM
    Good luck, but I hate situations like this.... If they charge you full retail, deal with it..

One reason why certain things are in place at Apple, because of this...

10-02-2013 04:13 PM
    I don't really understand your post but I am aware that it was my own procrastination that put me in the situation I am in. If they decide to charge me it will be unfortunate for me but not unfair.
    10-02-2013 04:16 PM
    bottom line it's shady... Not having the additional coverage and working around it..... I will leave it at that...

Again good luck...
    10-02-2013 04:19 PM