New Iphone 5 e-mail problems - sending from my home.

Bbnivende

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
We have Telus WIFi and e-mail accounts but have Bell as our cellular provider.

At home I can send and receive e-mails from my BlackBerry but I am told that with the iPhone I have to turn my Wifi off to send an e-mail.

That seems like a nuisance. Can I set up another e-mail account for the iPhone is hooked up to Wifi ?

Why BlackBerry and not iphone ?

Thanks

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have to say although I am not too versed and up with the Canadian carriers I have never heard of having to do this in order to send email from any carrier, Why not call the carriers to get an explanation truth or false? Also may I ask why you have your phone service set up like this instead of just everything through Bell?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
We have Telus WIFi and e-mail accounts but have Bell as our cellular provider.

At home I can send and receive e-mails from my BlackBerry but I am told that with the iPhone I have to turn my Wifi off to send an e-mail.

That seems like a nuisance. Can I set up another e-mail account for the iPhone is hooked up to Wifi ?

Why BlackBerry and not iphone ?

Thanks

That doesn't sound legit. As long as your iPhone is able to access your Wi-Fi network, you should be able to send and receive email, surf the web, FaceTime, iMessage and other things unless your wireless router/ access point is setup to not allow Internet access based on MAC/IP filtering AND your iPhone's MAC address is not on the list of allowed devices. Still, as stated by Jaguarr40, just call your Internet provider for assistance, if necessary.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
That doesn't sound legit. As long as your iPhone is able to access your Wi-Fi network, you should be able to send and receive email, surf the web, FaceTime, iMessage and other things unless your wireless router/ access point is setup to not allow Internet access based on MAC/IP filtering AND your iPhone's MAC address is not on the list of allowed devices. Still, as stated by Jaguarr40, just call your Internet provider for assistance, if necessary.

That's what I was thinking unless it's blocked some way or a other the Internet is the Internet

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
That's what I was thinking unless it's blocked some way or a other the Internet is the Internet
Like the 'U' in USB is supposed to mean "universal".... there could be an issue in Settings>> cellular>> scroll to the Mail app and check the switch to use cellular data for Mail... that is an option with iOS7...

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Going a step further for the OP with simply doing a google search for Telus which is well known in Canada I found a very useful link for setting up your Apple device via WIFI and a chart that gives you info also on the new email integration that Telus has or will have very shortly as it rolls it out. Please check these both out as we aim to please and help our members at iMore with anything.

Here is the link and a snipped screenshot I am including for you. Good luck and let us know. The first video helps you set up WIFI. The 2nd Link and video shows you how to set up your email specifically on your Apple iPhone. Same link but scroll on the right to where it says setting up email on your apple iPhone.

http://telus.com/content/internet/clients/video-help.jsp

Capture.PNG

Bbnivende

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The directions that you have given allow for WIFI emails only on a Bell Cellular phone and not cellular phone e-mails. It is quite common in Canada for the WIFI e-mail service to not be from the same provider as your cell phone. I the directions would obviously work for a telus iphone on a telus WIFI network. I will play with it and get back to you. I was hoping to get an answer from a Telus ADSL customer running a Bell Iphone.

Bbnivende

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
When I get ahold of my spouses iPhone I am going to try this:

If you are using your phone carriers outgoing settings, you can use the quick guide below for setting up an alternate outgoing server through mail.mcsnet.ca to use while you are connecting to your home wifi.

Adding and additional outgoing server on the phone (Fail-over)

You will need to add the outgoing server for your wifi if you entered the settings for your phone provider as the primary server
Steps to add alternate failover server

Go into the mail settings again: settings -> 'Mail, Contacts, Calendars'
Select the mail account that you have setup (whatever@telus.net)
On the Account Info screen, scroll to the bottom and locate the Outgoing Mail Server section and tap the existing SMTP entry.
On this page, below the Primary Server you will see Other SMTP Servers. Tap Add Server…
Add the alternate server settings, Host: mail.telus.net with the user/pass left as optional if you are adding this for your wifi

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
The directions that you have given allow for WIFI emails only on a Bell Cellular phone and not cellular phone e-mails. It is quite common in Canada for the WIFI e-mail service to not be from the same provider as your cell phone. I the directions would obviously work for a telus iphone on a telus WIFI network. I will play with it and get back to you. I was hoping to get an answer from a Telus ADSL customer running a Bell Iphone.

It's common in the US also .. My home wifi is from ATT uverse but my cell provider is Verizon .. When it comes to email Internet is Internet and it should send no problem .. Check the settings on the phone maybe the email provider server is setup wrong or not configured correctly

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

If you are using your phone carriers outgoing settings, you can use the quick guide below for setting up an alternate outgoing server through mail.mcsnet.ca to use while you are connecting to your home wifi.

You will need to add the outgoing server for your wifi if you entered the settings for your phone provider as the primary server

On the Account Info screen, scroll to the bottom and locate the Outgoing Mail Server section and tap the existing SMTP entry.
On this page, below the Primary Server you will see Other SMTP Servers. Tap Add Server?
Add the alternate server settings, Host: mail.telus.net with the user/pass left as optional if you are adding this for your wifi

Sounds like telus has required specific info to send email on there server once you have it configured it should not be a problem .. Me personally wouldn't deal with that mess I use a third party like gmail for email .. Or even iCloud .. Then log into your telus email and forward all of it to your new address this way you can send email on wifi or cell

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

On this page, below the Primary Server you will see Other SMTP Servers. Tap Add Server…
Please keep in mind that I gave no directions at all. You as the OP asked a question by starting a thread and I did my best by looking for info and also asked you to please call the main carrier for a definitive answer. I copied info directly from their site. if you went there and read it then great, If you called them then great. If you did neither i am sorry and as indicated by your last post, You seem to have a grasp so again best of luck and just wanted to clarify what I was trying to do to help you. :)

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like telus has required specific info to send email on there server once you have it configured it should not be a problem .. Me personally wouldn't deal with that mess I use a third party like gmail for email .. Or even iCloud .. Then log into your telus email and forward all of it to your new address this way you can send email on wifi or cell

Exactly what I do...I use gmail as a backup and iCloud as my main email for the 2 accts I use on my iPhone. :)

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Exactly what I do...I use gmail as a backup and iCloud as my main email for the 2 accts I use on my iPhone. :)

I'm the opposite gmail is my main and iCloud is my backup only because I used gmail with my blackberry way before iCloud was even released

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I find iCloud much faster instant email opposed to gmail. Gmail is slowww.
I would tend to agree with you although with the added comment that it seems i just don't seem to have the problems others do. I don't have problems with either one of these emails. They work when I want them to and that is all I can ask. Thanks and have a good one. :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods