Going to the Apple Store

WildCatStud333

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Got an appointment tomorrow cuz my phone has used 1.2 gb of cellular data since Monday. Something is going on. I'm not getting any answers from VZW yet. I'm gonna see what apple can tell me.

Tapped out on my iPhone 5

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Got an appointment tomorrow cuz my phone has used 1.2 gb of cellular data since Monday. Something is going on. I'm not getting any answers from VZW yet. I'm gonna see what apple can tell me.

What do you use on your phone ? Music services ? Netflix ? Anything that uses a bunch of data ?

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

WildCatStud333

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
What do you use on your phone ? Music services ? Netflix ? Anything that uses a bunch of data ?

I play games Facebook twitter. No Netflix or music service I've got my own purchased music. I use it like I normally do and my fianc? and I combined have used almost 6gb this month. She also has a iPhone 5 and hasn't used 1gb. VZW still hasn't figured out what's going on so I'm gonna go to the apple store n c what they have to say

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site

Didn't you say that the same thing was happening with your S4 before switching back?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I play games Facebook twitter. No Netflix or music service I've got my own purchased music. I use it like I normally do and my fianc? and I combined have used almost 6gb this month. She also has a iPhone 5 and hasn't used 1gb. VZW still hasn't figured out what's going on so I'm gonna go to the apple store n c what they have to say

Do you have the music downloaded to your phone or are you playing it off of iTunes Match? That could be what's eating your data.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

WildCatStud333

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Didn't you say that the same thing was happening with your S4 before switching back?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah the S4 was eating my data bad. But VZW isn't trying to hear that. Their telling me its the phone or the line. I'm waiting to hear back from VZW. The main reason I'm going to apple so they can tell me there's nothing with my phone or there is. If there's nothing wrong I can tell VZW that its on their end nit the phone.

WildCatStud333

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Do you have the music downloaded to your phone or are you playing it off of iTunes Match? That could be what's eating your data.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

The music is downloaded to the phone. Don't like streaming music. To many commercials. Lol

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the S4 was eating my data bad. But VZW isn't trying to hear that. Their telling me its the phone or the line. I'm waiting to hear back from VZW. The main reason I'm going to apple so they can tell me there's nothing with my phone or there is. If there's nothing wrong I can tell VZW that its on their end nit the phone.

I would check your apps etc make sure none are the cause apple will prob tell you to restore your phone also .. So that maybe worth a try also ..

WildCatStud333

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I would check your apps etc make sure none are the cause apple will prob tell you to restore your phone also .. So that maybe worth a try also ..

When I got my phone Monday I set it up as a new phone so I could pick and choose what apps I wanna put on my phone. I'll wait til after I talk to apple tomorrow before I do a restore.

Jrome.brooks

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
That's why Verizon and AT&T should have unlimited data plans you have a high powered smartphone with apps data is running through your phone daily and it's costing, it's not far for us a customers

Exsurgo

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
iTunes Match is not streaming music like Pandora or Spotify, just so you're aware. But the others make a point that if you were to use Match, it pulls your music from the Cloud to play it instead of storing it on your phone and taking up storage space.

Sounds like something's constantly running and using data. Push emails maybe? Location services?

Just a thought. Good luck with the Apple store. Hopefully you'll get some answers.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
iTunes Match is not streaming music like Pandora or Spotify, just so you're aware. But the others make a point that if you were to use Match, it pulls your music from the Cloud to play it instead of storing it on your phone and taking up storage space.

Sounds like something's constantly running and using data. Push emails maybe? Location services?

Just a thought. Good luck with the Apple store. Hopefully you'll get some answers.

No match downloads it once it's played so eventually it takes up space

Exsurgo

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
That's odd because I signed up for Match about 3 months ago, can see and play my entire music library on my phone, but the storage capacity hasn't changed. I play tons of music too..

That's off point though and I certainly don't want to sound argumentative.

Got my fingers crossed for you that you get it worked out. I'm certain it's frustrating especially if you have a data cap. Good luck!

malt1977

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Sounds a lot like a service provisioning issue to me. I'd say Verizon needs to take a close look at how your account is setup and worst case, cease your service and the set it up again. I bet even if you changed handset, you'd still be burning data. It's not always the handset or user to blame in these issues.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
That's odd because I signed up for Match about 3 months ago, can see and play my entire music library on my phone, but the storage capacity hasn't changed. I play tons of music too..

That's off point though and I certainly don't want to sound argumentative.

Got my fingers crossed for you that you get it worked out. I'm certain it's frustrating especially if you have a data cap. Good luck!

from apples site

Does iTunes Match stream or download songs?
On a computer, any songs stored in iCloud will stream over the air when played, though you can download them at any time by clicking the iCloud download button. iOS devices will start playing tracks from iCloud as they download and will store them so that you can listen to them later even if you don?t have a network connection. Apple TV only streams songs.

That being said hopefully the OP can get the data issue solved.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Sounds a lot like a service provisioning issue to me. I'd say Verizon needs to take a close look at how your account is setup and worst case, cease your service and the set it up again. I bet even if you changed handset, you'd still be burning data. It's not always the handset or user to blame in these issues.
I believe you are correct about this being on Verizon's side, which could be software related too. This higher than normal data usage with Verizon's iPhone 5 was reported many times on Verizon's own customer support site. These are just 2 complaints of many that I found: https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/878280.....https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/792488?start=0&tstart=0..... The Issue was reported here also along with a possible fix for it: How to Stop Your Verizon iPhone 5 from Using Waaaaaay Too Much Data...... Even after the patch was put out to fix this issue it was still being reported in June 2013 by iPhone 5 users on Verizon's network according to this thread Data overages with iPhone 5/Verizon? | GBCN

Last edited:

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I can suggest is turn off cellular data while using wifi and see if that makes a difference is data use.

I'm starting to think that the cause of this is when Apple added a "fall back" feature in the iOS 6 betas which would allow cellular data to be used if your wifi network was slower than your data connection speed as long as you had cellular data on while connected to wifi. Apple added the "fall back" feature during the betas but removed it before the GM was released. I think the setting was removed but the code wasn't and that's what is causing all these data overages cause some people's wifi network is slower than cellular data speeds in their area. But that's my 2?...

WildCatStud333

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it's not the phone it's on Verizon. My account starts over the 3rd. So hopefully the data usage will go back to normal.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I can suggest is turn off cellular data while using wifi and see if that makes a difference is data use.

I'm starting to think that the cause of this is when Apple added a "fall back" feature in the iOS 6 betas which would allow cellular data to be used if your wifi network was slower than your data connection speed as long as you had cellular data on while connected to wifi. Apple added the "fall back" feature during the betas but removed it before the GM was released. I think the setting was removed but the code wasn't and that's what is causing all these data overages cause some people's wifi network is slower than cellular data speeds in their area. But that's my 2?...

I don't not know this .. Good info .. With that being said I wish I had option

WildCatStud333

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I talked to VZW they said my high data usage was when I had the S4 so that makes a lot of since. Hopefully everything will go back to normal since I'm back on the good side. My data resets at mid night. Wish me luck. LOL

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW